U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 03:17 PM

6,715 posts, read 12,377,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
If he was at work, why was he connecting to WiFi on his phone at all?
For a few reasons that I'd have to go into detail with that I'm not really at liberty to do. Basically, I'm testing out a bunch of portable devices (iPads, et al.) to see how they work on the five to seven square mile area at work. I have to be able to pull up reference material anywhere in that area and that material is on the intranet. There has been discussion of how an iPhone may work for this and I was given permission to use my iPhone to see if it would be suitable or not. I really can't go into more detail than that.

Last edited by GCSTroop; 07-22-2013 at 03:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You're still missing the point. The company doesn't know about his accessing that site. At all. Nada. Zilch.

Why?

Because while his WiFi is connecting to the Intranet, the Internet is being accessed through his cell phone company. Through the cell phone tower, not WiFi.

BUT...

Now that I've thought more about it something seems a bit hinky.

I don't have or understand iPhones, so someone answer me this: Can you have WiFi and, for example, 3G active at the same time on an iPhone? I ask because when I run WiFi on my Android 3G disappears. So if the answer is no then the text came in through the company connection. And if that is true then the site request he made went out through the company WiFi.

Oops!
The text is going to come in via the 3G network in the same fashion that an incoming call would come in from the cell carrier - even if I'm connected to Wi-Fi. However, when I try to browse the internet, download an app, etc... It will automatically try to revert to the Wi-Fi. I'm not sure exactly when the text came in, though, but I guess that doesn't really matter. It could have been before or after I was connected to the Wi-Fi.

There is a big part of me that hopes common sense would prevail if I were pressed or asked about it but I also realize that common sense can also be severely lacking when it comes to things like this. I'm really glad the site never loaded (because it couldn't) but I also know that the AUP probably has provisions to hang me anyway.

I do have a question though... If it's intranet only, how could they see what I'm trying to look at if there is no DNS to respond to the URL request? I mean... I can type all kinds of dirty URL names but if I can't connect to the internet in the first place, then wouldn't it only see a DNS retrieval failure or something of the sort?

Old 07-22-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post

What I wonder is whether the OP would be better able to avoid this situation in the future by not connecting the iPhone to this workplace wifi in the first place.
Believe me. I'd prefer not to connect my iPhone to the intranet at work. I mentioned in another post that I'd been testing the utility of the iPhone on our Wi-Fi network as part of a testing project and forgot to turn the Wi-Fi off. If they ask, at least I can tell them it very successfully blocked any sites I tried to access. "Congratulations! You've successfully set up a very good intranet! All tests passed! "

Old 07-22-2013, 03:53 PM

18,543 posts, read 55,469,830 times
"I do have a question though... If it's intranet only, how could they see what I'm trying to look at if there is no DNS to respond to the URL request? I mean... I can type all kinds of dirty URL names but if I can't connect to the internet in the first place, then wouldn't it only see a DNS retrieval failure or something of the sort?"

It should log a DNS request, with MAC address and source address. Since it is a standard network, and the phone is used to such as being able to access a DNS, it'll send out the request. (Roughly a GET HTTP/1.1 HOST www.preachypleasures.com blah blah)

My guess is that there is some sort of web server like Apache that is used so that you can pull up pages within the local intranet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers