U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 10:02 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,205,672 times

Advertisements

I just had a 1T Western Digital portable external hard drive fail. It came completely out of nowhere. Although it's a portable/external, it spent most of its life at home in one spot. It had not been behaving in anyway peculiar at all, and then tonight, completely out of nowhere--WHAM!!--it just quit. The only possibly warning was when my wife was watching some .mp4 video clips on it & a couple of times it stuttered, but that was it, and heck I just figured maybe that meant the video clip was corrupt originally.

Then she goes to watch another, and it won't play. I open a new "instance" of the Windows Explorer file manager, and the contents of the folder were empty. I then unplugged & re-plugged the hard drive, the light on it lit up but it didn't "flicker," and you didn't get the "bomp-bunk" sound you usually get when plugging in a USB device. I thought it was her computer, so I rolled it back with system-configuration utility (it's XP), STILL nothing. I tried plugging into my computer, STILL nothing. I can't hear any "clicking" sounds on it either, as if it were "trying."

It just died, totally out of nowhere, no warning.

Why do they do that? Why can't there be some WARNING that this is about to happen? Thankfully it was just a backup, nothing was on there that wasn't on the original, but heck, what if the original fails like that? If it does then those contents WILL be gone, as in 10 years worth of digital photographs and about 50G of MP3s and about that many video files. (I did just buy a brand-new 1T external which I hadn't been using hardly any at all, I'm now dumping the files on it which had been on the one that failed, from the original.) Maybe I should use something like Speedfan? (I saw another post where someone mentioned using that software, wherever you find it, and I guess it does estimate remaining useful life of a hard drive.)

LRH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 10:05 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,121,432 times
Its much like the lights go out suddenly from a sudden failure in the system.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:05 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,979,772 times
9 out of 10 times, S.M.A.R.T. has informed me of a hard drive failure before it happens.

S.M.A.R.T. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:20 PM

Thanks for the tips (especially SMART). Is this the best place to download it? (S.M.A.R.T. Disk Monitor free download. S.M.A.R.T. Disk Monitor is a powerful tool that enables systems administrators to)

Follow-up--I use Microsoft "SyncToy" to synchronize backups. I have it "echo left-to-right" (that is, the entire backup "path" is one-way, the original to the backup, not ever backup to original, anything I add, delete or move on the original that action is echoed on the backup). I'm using it now on the new hard-drive. It was ignoring an entire folder that clearly needed backing up until I deleted the "presets" I had set-up in the software and re-did them, now it's showing that folder it was skipping and WAY more files as well. Why I had to re-do it when the hard drive letters & the path was identical I don't know, but I did.

Regardless, is SyncToy a suitable back-up software to use, or is there something better I should be using? It's free, if nothing else (I'm a bit of a software cheap-skate). I did fine this thread (Best & safest way to back up files) where they're discussing back-up routines etc.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:43 AM

5,896 posts, read 4,421,807 times
You might also want to consider a program called Spin Rite, created by Steve Gibson who is the security guru at TWIT TV. It's not freeware, but he has had a lot of testimonials that his software can find data in bad sectors and correct the problem. I think it does also work on external drives as well as internal drives. At least check out the website before going into full panic mode: https://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:32 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,847,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
You might also want to consider a program called Spin Rite, created by Steve Gibson who is the security guru at TWIT TV. It's not freeware, but he has had a lot of testimonials that his software can find data in bad sectors and correct the problem. I think it does also work on external drives as well as internal drives. At least check out the website before going into full panic mode: https://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm.
If only it was around $50 instead of $90! To me, for a software that I would seldom use, paying that much makes no sense. If a drive is coming up with a lot of bad sectors during deep Scandisk or freezing up or causing BSoDs, then just replace it.

After all, why would you continue to patch a failing drive using a software when it is failing continuously? Why risk storing important data on it and end up having to check it every few months? Makes no sense, if a drive is failing, replace it regardless if you have to pay for the replacement drive or if it is under warranty.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:23 AM

5,896 posts, read 4,421,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
If only it was around $50 instead of $90! To me, for a software that I would seldom use, paying that much makes no sense. If a drive is coming up with a lot of bad sectors during deep Scandisk or freezing up or causing BSoDs, then just replace it.

After all, why would you continue to patch a failing drive using a software when it is failing continuously? Why risk storing important data on it and end up having to check it every few months? Makes no sense, if a drive is failing, replace it regardless if you have to pay for the replacement drive or if it is under warranty.
I agree with you. I think the price is a little too steep for me as well. But for others, it might be worth it to them, especially if they have a lot of valuable data on the drive. I think the software provides some other features, like regular maintenance for your hard drive, but yeah, if this is a one time deal, I wouldn't want to spend $90 either.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:35 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,402,578 times
I just started getting a ton of S.M.A.R.T messages about my internal hard drive last night, so I am getting a kick out of this thread.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:52 PM

I goofed around & found that an older WD 500G external hard drive I have still connected had "diagnostic tools" there, under WD_Mac_Tools\WD_Windows_Tools\Diagnostics, so I set it up. It has disk-testing tools & it does mention something about SMART there as well. Maybe those tools can help with checking the "health" of my various hard drives.

LRH

Old 07-27-2013, 06:24 PM

1,785 posts, read 1,973,916 times
There are lots of free disk monitoring programs that have the SMART function among other features.

Here's a good one:
CrystalDiskInfo - Software - Crystal Dew World

Here's a trial version of the popular Hard Disk Sentinel:
Hard Disk Sentinel Trial version - HDD health and temperature monitoring
(Supposedly, the trial is for a one month period, but I've been using mine for several months.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers