U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2013, 11:45 PM

4,913 posts, read 4,905,985 times

Advertisements

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my mother, who is in her late 70s, will be losing her dialup WebTV service in October. I decided to get her a Chromebook laptop since it seems almost as simple as her old WebTV.

The issue is: she has wifi at home, but she spends a lot of time at her rural summer place which only has dialup service. Is it possible for her to run a Chromebook off of dialup ? If it runs off of dialup I might skip wifi alltogether & have her run it in both places that way....if it runs ok ?

She only needs to read some local papers, check email & do basic stuff. If I can't get Chromebook to run this way does anyone know of a decent used laptop I can set up for dialup that won't giver her problems ? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 03:31 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,562,468 times
She has wifi at home but you want her to run dialup instead? What type of internet is she paying for?

Chromebooks do not have phone jacks, and I don't think you can install other hardware with it like a normal OS..... I originally said to buy one of these:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wintec-Fil...em-CX/15074369

but Chromebooks run off Chrome OS, and it's all web-based, absolutely not good with dialup connections...

so I guess the short answer is no, it will not work with dialup.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
She has wifi at home but you want her to run dialup instead? What type of internet is she paying for?

Chromebooks do not have phone jacks, and I don't think you can install other hardware with it like a normal OS..... I originally said to buy one of these:

Wintec FileMate 56k USB Modem CX - Walmart.com

but Chromebooks run off Chrome OS, and it's all web-based, absolutely not good with dialup connections...

so I guess the short answer is no, it will not work with dialup.
Thanks. She has access to wifi, but has not added it to her cable because she is still using her WebTV until October 1. She can plug her WebTV into the phone line at home & do the same up north at her summer place so there has been no need to set up wifi. I might get her an older laptop & keep her on dialup since she spends a lot of time at her summer place. Lol, if I get her wifi at home she will be sitting in her car at the library up north half the year trying to use their wifi.

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 07-26-2013 at 04:15 PM..

Old 07-26-2013, 04:18 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,782,076 times
I highly doubt the Google OS will have a built-in dial-up modem driver and with no ability for you to install any new drivers, using a USB dial-up modem won't work. Get a cheap laptop.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:56 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,562,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Thanks. She has access to wifi, but has not added it to her cable because she is still using her WebTV until October 1. She can plug her WebTV into the phone line at home & do the same up north at her summer place so there has been no need to set up wifi. I might get her an older laptop & keep her on dialup since she spends a lot of time at her summer place. Lol, if I get her wifi at home she will be sitting in her car at the library up north half the year trying to use their wifi.
I understand, I have several users who are older and would rather have consistency than the fastest/best/latest/greatest. Being able to do the same thing for the same result in any location is something some people feel comfortable with.

Have you considered setting her up with a laptop with a 4G card, through a company like Clear or a phone carrier like ATT or T-Mobile or something? That way the "routine" would just to plug in the thing and off it goes.... it would work wherever there is cell service, meaning it would indeed work in the car or at the store or wherever. It will be more expensive than dialup though.

Wireless Internet Plans for On-The-Go | CLEAR

Old 07-27-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
I understand, I have several users who are older and would rather have consistency than the fastest/best/latest/greatest. Being able to do the same thing for the same result in any location is something some people feel comfortable with.

Have you considered setting her up with a laptop with a 4G card, through a company like Clear or a phone carrier like ATT or T-Mobile or something? That way the "routine" would just to plug in the thing and off it goes.... it would work wherever there is cell service, meaning it would indeed work in the car or at the store or wherever. It will be more expensive than dialup though.

Wireless Internet Plans for On-The-Go | CLEAR
Some great ideas Thankfully I have until October 1 to set her up with something. T-Mobile might fit the bil for her.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:09 PM

32,795 posts, read 33,754,295 times
I have older Chromebook that was given to me as a gift a couple of years ago. It came with an option for Verizon Wireless 3G usage.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:29 PM

199 posts, read 201,373 times
If consistency is the key, setting up wifi in both locations would make a lot more sense than scrounging for a machine that has a dial up modem. If having broadband service at both locations doesn't make much sense (cost-wise) then I think a mobile hotspot would be a great option (especially given the little data we're talking about here). Either way (broadband/wifi or hotspot/wifi) allows you to choose whatever laptop makes sense for your mom. Or, a cell enable iPad...nothing else required (other than the data plan).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers