U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 05:04 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,854,294 times

Advertisements

Windows Vista 6.0, IE 9.0, Dell Inspiron desktop. I am unable to open IE by double clicking on Icon or right click on icon and click open home page. Using both these messages I get; "IE has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available". Windows never advises a solution.
However I can hit start, click on IE and IE opens every time with no problems.
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 06:16 AM

6,020 posts, read 4,406,271 times
I don't know what it was that caused it, but I had that problem. I couldn't open IE at all. I know nothing about the inner workings of computers and took my PC to a computer repair shop. It cost me $74, but it works fine now. Well worth the money spent. Good luck.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:07 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,674,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecomet View Post
Windows Vista 6.0, IE 9.0, Dell Inspiron desktop. I am unable to open IE by double clicking on Icon or right click on icon and click open home page. Using both these messages I get; "IE has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available". Windows never advises a solution.
However I can hit start, click on IE and IE opens every time with no problems.
Any suggestions?
It sounds like you are talking about the icon (chortcut) on your desktop.

I would try creating another icon on the desktop to see if a new one works.

Start
click on All Programs
right click Internet Explorer
click Send to
click Desktop (create a shortcut)

Then go back to your desktop and click on the new IE icon. If it works, just delete the old IE icon from the desktop.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:05 PM

28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times
^ This. Except I would delete the non-working icon first. What do you have to lose other than a non-working icon?

Old 07-29-2013, 05:57 AM

10,755 posts, read 18,013,891 times
I bad shortcut usually won't cause the OP's issue, IE is starting but then crashing.
Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools and Run Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons) and see if it starts. If so you likely have a bad BHO. Post back with the results and we can advise from there.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:44 AM

5,896 posts, read 4,421,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I bad shortcut usually won't cause the OP's issue, IE is starting but then crashing.
Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools and Run Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons) and see if it starts. If so you likely have a bad BHO. Post back with the results and we can advise from there.
Actually I have had this to happen with a corrupted shortcut. A simple deletion of the shortcut and replacing the shortcut from the programs menu corrected the problem. That's the simplest thing to start with first.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:49 AM

10,755 posts, read 18,013,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Actually I have had this to happen with a corrupted shortcut. A simple deletion of the shortcut and replacing the shortcut from the programs menu corrected the problem. That's the simplest thing to start with first.
Can't say I've ever seen that, but I'll take your word for it. Windows never surprises me with it's oddities.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Can't say I've ever seen that, but I'll take your word for it. Windows never surprises me with it's oddities.
Yeah, I've seen it before - especially in Vista. I don't know why or how the shortcut gets corrupted, but that's how I've fixed it. Of course, you could be right as well. My ultimate fix is to just say ********* I.E. and use either Firefox or Google Chrome, but of course one would need to have I.E. fixed long enough to download those browsers, lol!

Old 07-29-2013, 12:22 PM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
244 posts, read 318,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Yeah, I've seen it before - especially in Vista. I don't know why or how the shortcut gets corrupted, but that's how I've fixed it. Of course, you could be right as well. My ultimate fix is to just say ********* I.E. and use either Firefox or Google Chrome, but of course one would need to have I.E. fixed long enough to download those browsers, lol!

After you get it fixed, I would recommend downloading a back up browser. I don't use IE, but my husband does, and it seems to stop working regularly for him, too, on a practically new Windows 8 computer. He uses Chrome as a back up.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Wave Carpetbagger View Post
After you get it fixed, I would recommend downloading a back up browser. I don't use IE, but my husband does, and it seems to stop working regularly for him, too, on a practically new Windows 8 computer. He uses Chrome as a back up.
I'm not the OP - was just posting possible solutions for the OP. I usually use either Firefox or Google Chrome - and since learning about Waterfox from postings here, Waterfox has replaced Firefox for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers