Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 04:27 PM

878 posts, read 941,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Everyone cares what others think. Not just to establish conformity either. We care what others think because it helps us make (good laptop and other purchasing) decisions.
Care to try for two out of three? I don't care what you use and I don't care what you think of what I use. I won't even say what I use, other than to say it's a beastly, thyroidal, butt-kicking monster. Works for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 09:28 PM

20,291 posts, read 37,153,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
My first PC was a Commodore Amiga 500. As I recall it had a 20MB HDD and 3MB Ram. CPU was 7.16 Ghz? This was 1989 or so...

Ahhh... the memories.

Back on topic... I've had my MacBook Air for a week and I like it... the OS is very smooth and the battery life is beyond spectacular. I'm very impressed.
It does not take very long for one to get used to the OS. In fact, it's so stable that soon enough you forget it's doing its thing in the background.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:19 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,160 times
Quote:
My first PC was a Commodore Amiga 500. As I recall it had a 20MB HDD and 3MB Ram. CPU was 7.16 Ghz? This was 1989 or so...

Ahhh... the memories.

Back on topic... I've had my MacBook Air for a week and I like it... the OS is very smooth and the battery life is beyond spectacular. I'm very impressed.
Glad you are liking it! I use both Windows 7 and OSX daily and I much prefer OSX.

One bit of advice, stay away from a program called "Mackeeper". It advertises itself all over the internet as a tool to speed up your Mac (you might have seen the ads already being on a Mac now) but I swear that program causes more problems than it solves. I've been a member over on Mac Forums for a while now and I see so many people come in there wondering why their Mac is running so poorly. Sure enough, almost every time Mackeeper ends up being brought up and the OP gets asked to remove it. There are websites out there that even go as far as to say that Mackeeper is a borderline scam!

Honestly though, your Mac needs no antivirus software. I've ran without any AV software for a year and a half now and not a single problem has come up. Not even a glitch. I know how tempting it is to install AV protection coming from Windows but don't. It'll just slow your system down and do next to nothing in return.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:33 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,601,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Glad you are liking it!

Honestly though, your Mac needs no antivirus software. I've ran without any AV software for a year and a half now and not a single problem has come up. Not even a glitch. I know how tempting it is to install AV protection coming from Windows but don't. It'll just slow your system down and do next to nothing in return.
Thanks for the tip... I will pass on the AV protection. I've read about it already and it's nice to see others share the same opinion.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:38 AM

70 posts, read 97,692 times
Quote:
LOL... Starbucks in Seattle? Where?

Cost me $999 for the laptop and $299 for the Time Capsule... I've always said Apple products were overpriced but at 18 months same as cash at least interest won't eat me alive.

I always research and look for reviews from others on my purchases... just wanted to see what the people here at CD had to say. I don't have anything bad to say about Windows... I loved W7.

I stand by my statement that Apple products are overpriced... I guess now I'll get to see if the "yeah but what you pay for now you get back in quality and product longevity" holds true...
$999 what?
i know somewhere in your heart , you are very sad.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:18 AM

70 posts, read 64,934 times
Quote:
LOL... Starbucks in Seattle? Where?

Cost me $999 for the laptop and $299 for the Time Capsule... I've always said Apple products were overpriced but at 18 months same as cash at least interest won't eat me alive.

I stand by my statement that Apple products are overpriced... I guess now I'll get to see if the "yeah but what you pay for now you get back in quality and product longevity" holds true...
Yes, Apple products are overpriced. I don't believe they are necessairly of higher quality than PC products. It's always been my opinion that Apple has had a certain elitist snob factor to it and that the diehard Apple enthusiats are generally less knowledgable with regard to computers and technology than those who prefer PCs.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:45 AM

858 posts, read 2,992,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon5 View Post
Yes, Apple products are overpriced. I don't believe they are necessairly of higher quality than PC products. It's always been my opinion that Apple has had a certain elitist snob factor to it and that the diehard Apple enthusiats are generally less knowledgable with regard to computers and technology than those who prefer PCs.
I really don't see where Apple products are overpriced. For example, the New Dell XPS-15, which Dell put out to compete with the MacBook Pro is $2380, and comparable MacBook Pro with the Retina screen is $2,599, and if you can buy it under the Employee Purchase Program it's $2,400. Note: the XPS does have a Touch Screen, but not sure how useful it really is on a laptop.

A lot of folks say a $2K+ MacBook is overpriced, but they are usually looking at a PC that costs under $1K, and I don't believe there is much comparison there, nor is there much comparison between a $2K+ PC and sub $1K PC.

While I have always liked Dell, my last Dell XPS and my current Dell XPS have required motherboards around the 3-1/2 year mark, which has me looking at the MacBook Pro. My iPads and iPhone are nice quality products, and I like the Apple eco-system.

I have not experienced the "certain elitist snob factor" you are referring to as all the Apple owners; everyone I've talked to has been very friendly towards my questions, even on the MacRumors forum. If anything, I find that some PC owners do have a misconception about Apple owners. However, in the end, we are all regular folks with computers and tablets

Old 11-12-2013, 11:11 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,601,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstuart View Post
$999 what?
i know somewhere in your heart , you are very sad.
Not really... I got 18 months 0% financing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon5 View Post
After 3 months with this laptop I can say without a doubt that my MacBook Air is of much higher quality than the $400 Windows 7 laptop I replaced... as it should be.

I'm very happy with it... I get over 12 hours of battery life (compared to 2-3 on the old one).. OS X is stable and the 802.11ac WiFi is blazing fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
I really don't see where Apple products are overpriced. For example, the New Dell XPS-15, which Dell put out to compete with the MacBook Pro is $2380, and comparable MacBook Pro with the Retina screen is $2,599, and if you can buy it under the Employee Purchase Program it's $2,400. Note: the XPS does have a Touch Screen, but not sure how useful it really is on a laptop.

A lot of folks say a $2K+ MacBook is overpriced, but they are usually looking at a PC that costs under $1K, and I don't believe there is much comparison there, nor is there much comparison between a $2K+ PC and sub $1K PC.
Good point. I agree... I know I said Apple products are overpriced... but I was also comparing it to my previous laptop... a basic $400 model.

My MacBook Air is a quality laptop and I don't regret the purchase at all.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:08 PM

70 posts, read 64,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post

While I have always liked Dell, my last Dell XPS and my current Dell XPS have required motherboards around the 3-1/2 year mark, which has me looking at the MacBook Pro. My iPads and iPhone are nice quality products, and I like the Apple eco-system.

I have not experienced the "certain elitist snob factor" you are referring to as all the Apple owners; everyone I've talked to has been very friendly towards my questions, even on the MacRumors forum. If anything, I find that some PC owners do have a misconception about Apple owners. However, in the end, we are all regular folks with computers and tablets

Who the hell is spending over 2K on a computer, even a laptop? For the avergae person what does a 2K plus system do that an $800 system doesn't? Unless you're doing something like video editing or some other extremely resource intensive function you do not need to spend an obscene amount of money on a system.

Thank god for marketing and uneducated consumers who worry that their "hard drive won't have enough memory," though. If not for them the bottom lines at the companies selling these unnecessary high end items might not look so good. Honestly, I could probably build myself a PC for under $800 that will outperform just about any $2000 machine that some computer illiterate bought because I actually know how to manipulate and maintain a computer.

There's nothing I find more irritating than those with a little bit of computer knowledge who love to brag about the specs on their system. I'm not speaking about anyone on this thread, but rather people in general. You dropped 4K on a gaming system? That's great but personally I'd rather build myself a machine for less than a quarter of that and use the rest of the 4k to put on my mortgage or do something with it that actually makes sense.

Oh well.

Last edited by Epsilon5; 11-12-2013 at 12:57 PM..

Old 11-12-2013, 12:59 PM

858 posts, read 2,992,277 times
Yes, an $800 system will do the basics and meet the requirements for a lot of folks. However, as we all know, not all of the components will be of the same quality as a higher end computer. That's not to say it isn't a decent system, it just lends to the thought that some of the system components may not last as long.

Like most products, the more you pay usually equates to a higher quality product with some additional bells and whistles. Additionally, the higher end computers have higher end processors and more RAM; that's not to say it makes a big difference with today's programs, but down the road it may, as programs are continually requiring more resources.

The higher end models have higher capacity SSD's which boot up faster, and are more costly than standard HHD's. As for bells and whistles, I do like a backlit keyboard, and will not buy another computer without one. I happen to like a 500GB; could I get away with a smaller drive, yes, but I like having everything at my fingertips, instead of having to plug in a secondary drive.

I went to best buy and toyed around with the various computers, and I perceived a better overall build quality in the more costly models.

If one wants an HD quality screen, it's going to drive up the price.

I do find it hard to believe you could build a laptop for $800 that would out perform a $2,000 computer, heck, a 500GB SSD would chew up a good portion of your $800.

Yes, there are many consumers who are not computer savvy, but just because consumers buy $2K computers doesn't make them uneducated, maybe they just like a higher capacity SSD, or more RAM, or an HD screen.

No we don't need to spend over $800 on a computer, but I guess it's all a matter of what you want, and what you are willing to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers