Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 08:30 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,267,495 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have an old HP Compaq laptop - about 6 years old, I'd guess. I'm not a techie, so bear with me if I give stupid information :-)

It's got (taken from the old original sticker on the computer):

Compaq Presario V6105NR Notebook PC

Intel Celeron M Processor 430, (1.73 GHz, 1MB L2 cache, 533 Mhz FSB)
512 mb system memory

100GB (5400 rpm) hard drive

I'm running Windows XP

It's just slow now, and can't handle upgraded software programs, and freezes up a lot, needing to be rebooted.

I really can't afford a new computer. I'm retired and on a small fixed income.

Is it possible to upgrade this one? What should I buy? About what would it cost, roughly? Would it be worth it?

I don't do any gaming. I watch Netflix, I surf the internet, that's really it.

Would love your advice and opinions.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 09:14 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,632,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

512 mb system memory
512 MB was barely enough memory when XP was new 12 years ago, but is nowhere near enough to run anything today.

Changing the amount of memory will get you the most bang for your buck, should be fairly straight forward, and should cost less than $50 for that machine.

Go to the following link and download the system scanner:

Use the Crucial System Scanner software to find out what type of memory is in your computer

It will find the correct kind of memory for you. Ideally you should get 2 GB (as 2 modules).

Once you have those modules, the replacement instructions are here:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00780325.pdf

Old 08-16-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
512 MB was barely enough memory when XP was new 12 years ago, but is nowhere near enough to run anything today.

Changing the amount of memory will get you the most bang for your buck, should be fairly straight forward, and should cost less than $50 for that machine.

Go to the following link and download the system scanner:

Use the Crucial System Scanner software to find out what type of memory is in your computer

It will find the correct kind of memory for you. Ideally you should get 2 GB (as 2 modules).

Once you have those modules, the replacement instructions are here:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00780325.pdf

Oh, I could just kiss you! Mmmmmmwwwwahhhhhh! I'll go check this out right now!

Old 08-16-2013, 10:14 AM

I just ordered 2GB memory cards from the above link. Only $39 with tax!! They even have a video that shows how to do it. I think I can handle it fine. I'll probably have to buy a tiny screw driver, and that's it. Can't wait!

Thanks so much again!

Old 08-16-2013, 03:23 PM

10,923 posts, read 21,876,815 times
Back to the hard drive, upgrading to a 7200 RPM drive will give you a speed boost as well, and considering the laptops age it would be a good excuse to do a format and reinstall of XP at the same time to regain some lost performance due to the age of the OS.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Back to the hard drive, upgrading to a 7200 RPM drive will give you a speed boost as well, and considering the laptops age it would be a good excuse to do a format and reinstall of XP at the same time to regain some lost performance due to the age of the OS.
Thanks so much!

Two questions:

1) Where would you suggest I buy the hard drive from? I live in Santa Clara, so I'm sure there's lots of places I could take the computer around here. Or is there a good deal online? I'm assuming I'd have to ship it somewhere? Or leave it in a shop?

2) I didn't get any disks for XP. Is there a way I can somehow reinstall it without having to buy it again? Could I copy it to a disk somehow and then reinstall it? Just curious. I'd probably have this done by whomever puts in the hard drive, since I don't know what I'm doing obviously. Just wondering if I'd have to spend the money on buying XP again. It came loaded on the laptop. I think I bought it from Best Buy.

Again, thanks so much!

Old 08-16-2013, 03:39 PM

10,923 posts, read 21,876,815 times
It's likely you have a recovery image on the hard drive, so the simplest solution would be for the shop to image the old drive to the new drive, back up your data, then run the recovery to reload Windows, then clean up all the bloatware and restore your data. All that work might cost more than the laptop is worth however.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
It's likely you have a recovery image on the hard drive, so the simplest solution would be for the shop to image the old drive to the new drive, back up your data, then run the recovery to reload Windows, then clean up all the bloatware and restore your data. All that work might cost more than the laptop is worth however.
I see your point. I did some research and found an article on replacing the hard drive, and a link to free software for backing up my computer:

How to replace your laptop hard drive | News | TechRadar

I guess I'll start by installing the new memory. I watched the video on how to do that, and I feel confident I can handle it. I'll see how that improves things, then decide on the hard drive.

Thanks again so much for your help!

Old 08-16-2013, 06:14 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,003,444 times
SkunkWorkz and OP sitting in a tree ...

Old 08-16-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
SkunkWorkz and OP sitting in a tree ...

LOL! You want one, too? Mmmmmmmwwwwwahhhhhhh! LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers