Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2013, 07:10 PM

157 posts, read 309,780 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Enjoying my brand new MacBook Air, 13 inch - but having a hard time adjusting to such tiny font size on the screen - everything, not just letters, but small ions, everything - really stressing my eyes.

I cannot find a zoom feature or similar here on this computer to increase the size of the characters on the screen....any suggestions?

Thank you. C
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 08:53 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
You can adjust icon size in the Finder by going to Finder/View/Show View Options.

You can adjust the icon size in the Dock by going to System Preferences/Dock. Make sure that “Magnification” is on. It temporarily enlarges an icon in the Dock when you mouseover it.

You can adjust the size of sidebar items with System Preferences/General/Sidebar Icon Size.

You can make a global change by lowering resolution of the display, but that may make some things burry. Go to System Preferences/Displays and click “Scaled.” This allows you to experiment with different resolutions. This is a very bunt way of doing it that I don’t recommend.

Almost every application also allows you to adjust the font size. For example, in Safari go to Preferences/Advanced and check “Never use font size smaller than” and set your own value.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:44 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,742,295 times
Another option to increase size is to do 'command' and plus sign at the same time. To minimize, you press command and the minus sign.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:36 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
You can adjust icon size in the Finder by going to Finder/View/Show View Options.

You can adjust the icon size in the Dock by going to System Preferences/Dock. Make sure that “Magnification” is on. It temporarily enlarges an icon in the Dock when you mouseover it.

You can adjust the size of sidebar items with System Preferences/General/Sidebar Icon Size.

You can make a global change by lowering resolution of the display, but that may make some things burry. Go to System Preferences/Displays and click “Scaled.” This allows you to experiment with different resolutions. This is a very bunt way of doing it that I don’t recommend.

Almost every application also allows you to adjust the font size. For example, in Safari go to Preferences/Advanced and check “Never use font size smaller than” and set your own value.
A caution with doing this: If some of the sites you use may have their font size set in certain ways, then when you use this preference, their print is not viewable: at all.

I just went through this happening with my bank and it took a while to figure out what was going on.

So if I were you, I'd leave this preference at the default level, and just use the Font sizer buttons on your tool bar. It just takes a second to find the size which is satisfactory for your vision needs.

BTW, the smallness of everything on even a 17" screen, let alone a 13", is a big factor in my staying with a desktop iMac.

Carolina, did you get the Apple Care? It's very much worth every penny, at least it always has been for me. Customer Service at Apple is great and you can schedule appts. at a convenient time or just make the phone call. Of course you have that availability for 90 days without the Apple care, anyway.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:12 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
For text you are reading that's too small:

Shortcut: place the tips of your thumb and index fingers on the trackpad about 2" away from each other. Now slide your thumb and index finger (at the same time) away from each other. The text will get as large as you want. To return the tex down to a normal size, slide your thumb and forefinger toward each other.

To have your MacBook show you how to do that:

a. On the dock at the bottom of the screen, click on the System Preferences (icon looks like a gear)

b. Then look for "Trackpad" and click on it to open it

c. On the Trackpad screen, click on "Scroll & Zoom." Your MacBook will show you what to do if you click on "Zoom in or out."

If you want to the icons at the dock to look larger:

a. Click on "System Preferences" (the same gear icon), and look for "Dock"

b. Click on "Dock" to open it, and move the sliders to the icon size you like.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:29 PM

384 posts, read 594,408 times
You bought a netbook, the screen is supposed to be as small as possible...
There are no netbooks with large screens...

Old 08-24-2013, 02:57 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina65 View Post
Hello,

Enjoying my brand new MacBook Air, 13 inch - but having a hard time adjusting to such tiny font size on the screen - everything, not just letters, but small ions, everything - really stressing my eyes.

I cannot find a zoom feature or similar here on this computer to increase the size of the characters on the screen....any suggestions?

Thank you. C
Two options.

System Preferences => Universal Access => Seeing => Turn Zoom: On

Zoom in: F5
Zoom out: F6

System Preferences => Displays => Display => Select a lower resolution.

1440 x 900 (native)
1280 x 800
1152 x 720
1024 x 640
1024 x 768
800 x 600

Old 08-24-2013, 03:00 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPDAL View Post
You bought a netbook, the screen is supposed to be as small as possible...
There are no netbooks with large screens...
A MacBook Air is not a netbook. It has a full size screen.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:02 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
A MacBook Air is not a netbook. It has a full size screen.
Yeah, all 13 inches

Old 08-24-2013, 08:59 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,831 times
A netbook is 11" or below. IMO 14.1" is the sweet spot for laptop screen size anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers