Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 04:17 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Really? I know people that have used it for print. Is this not the MS Publisher software in question?
Evidently Publisher does both print and web. I’m an Adobe guy and have never used it. I optimize images in Photoshop, but that’s beyond the scope of this user.

This page has tips on optimal resolution and image compression (Tips for working with images - Publisher - Office.com)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 05:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Have you considered making each page a separate PDF file and asking the web poster to add links from one to the next in order of viewing. While it won't take any less time to download overall, the break between might make it feel quicker because they get to read a page then click to see the next one. It keeps them from having to download the whole thing at one time.

And I'm confused about the proves. If you are emailing the pdf file to everyone, why is there a need to have it on a website?

Old 08-30-2013, 09:16 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Are you saving it as a "Minimum Size"? If you are then there is not much more you can do. But there are different size options in MS publisher. It has to be at least 72 dpi resolution for the web and it looks like the default is 96 dpi. Look at number 6. below. You might be able to change the dpi to 72 in the "Custom Size" option, not sure. But "Minimum Size" option is your best bet but the fonts will not all be the same as the ones you chose unless the people viewing it have the same fonts in their computer.

Save and send Publications - Publisher - Office.com
Save as PDF
1. Click the File tab.
2. Choose Save & Send, select Create PDF/XPS Document, and then click Create PDF/XPS.
3. In the Publish as PDF or XPS dialog, select PDF (*.PDF) in the Save as type pull-down.
4. Enter a name for the document in the File name text box.
5. To change the publishing options, click Options.
6. You can select from four pre-defined sets of options and change the Print Options:
Minimum size:
This will set the resolution of pictures in your publication to a maximum of 96 dots per inch (dpi), a resolution suitable for on-screen display, but not what you generally want for a printed publication. Fonts will not be embedded or bitmapped, so people viewing the file who do not have the fonts installed will see different fonts. The Print Options are optimized for online viewing of the document as a single page. This selection will also include your publication’s properties.
Standard:
This will set the resolution of pictures in your publication to a maximum of 150 dpi, suitable for online distribution such as e-mail where the recipient may print the publication on a desktop printer. The Print Options are optimized for online viewing of the document as a single page. This selection will also include your publication’s properties as well as any structural tags to enhance accessibility.
High quality printing:
This is the default set of options suitable for either desktop of copy shop printing. The pictures will be set to maximum of 450 dpi for color/greyscale, above this threshold and the picture will be downsampled to 300 dpi, and 1,800 dpi for line art, above this threshold and the art will be downsampled to 1,200 dpi. This selection will also include your publication’s properties, as well as any structural tags to enhance accessibility. The Print Options are optimized for printing.
Commercial Press:
This set of options creates the largest and highest quality file, suitable for commercial printing. The pictures will be capped at a maximum of 450 dpi (downsampled to 350 dpi when the original is above 450 dpi) for color/greyscale, and 3600 dpi (downsampled to 2400 dpi when the original is above 3600 dpi) for line art. Print options are set to a basic single copy of your publication (so that the commercial printer can use their own imposition, bleeds, etc.) This selection will also include your publication’s properties and will convert fonts that cannot be embedded to bitmap images. It will run Design Checker and warn you about any potential problems with the use of color or transparency. In addition, the option to encrypt the document with a password will be disabled.
Custom:
This selection simply makes all the options available to you. If you choose one of the pre-set options and then edit the properties it will change to Custom.

I am trying this. It seems, though, that the file is still coming in large. The newsletter is 22 pages and is approximately 50% photos.

When I insert photos into the newsletter I right click on the picture/format/size/scale and reduce the size that way. I am assuming that reducing the overall size is not reducing the DPI?

The newsletter is also printed (greyscale) using .pub file, but emailed in the pdf format.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Really? I know people that have used it for print. Is this not the MS Publisher software in question?

Print - Publisher - Office.com

Print

The main use of Publisher 2010 is to produce high-quality print publications. These may be printed on a desktop printer or sent out to a copy shop or commercial print shop. For information to help you choose between these options see Printing: Choose between desktop, copy shop, and commercial printing.

Though I do agree, 25 pages can only get so small, and then it's done.
That is what I am using Publisher 2010. I save to .pub for printing purposes, save to .pdf for email purposes.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Evidently Publisher does both print and web. I’m an Adobe guy and have never used it. I optimize images in Photoshop, but that’s beyond the scope of this user.

This page has tips on optimal resolution and image compression (Tips for working with images - Publisher - Office.com)
Thank you!!!!

I read the information and learned about compressing images. I just went back to the .pub file, opted for 'compress all', saved as a .pdf and now the 22 page newsletter went from 6,907 KB to 2,259 KB. This should help a lot!

Old 08-30-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Have you considered making each page a separate PDF file and asking the web poster to add links from one to the next in order of viewing. While it won't take any less time to download overall, the break between might make it feel quicker because they get to read a page then click to see the next one. It keeps them from having to download the whole thing at one time.

And I'm confused about the proves. If you are emailing the pdf file to everyone, why is there a need to have it on a website?

I create a color email version for those who want to either view it online or print it off on their own. There's a greyscale printed version handed out or mailed for those who don't have printers or access to computers. I don't know why the club places it on the website.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:23 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,217,238 times
I'm glad you got it figured out. There are many ways to save and it takes a bit of exploring to make it work.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:19 PM

Thank you all! I am very grateful for your help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers