Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 03:03 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,062,348 times

Advertisements

I have an older HP computer that has a key on it with a quarter moon next to it. Every once in a while I bump it by mistake and the monitor goes blank and I have one hell of a time getting my computer back out of what I assume is sleep mode.

Does anybody knowhow to recover from this? It is driving me bats**t crazy. I just smashed the damn keyboard as a result and now I need to replace it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 03:46 PM

8,267 posts, read 13,369,387 times
Here is some info on Anger Management classes near Chesapeake MD that might be helpful:
Anger Management Chesapeake City MD.. Anger Counseling, Anger Therapist in Chesapeake City MD

As far as the half/crescent moon button goes, that is one of the features the newer or multimedia keyboards have.
It is the Sleep/Hibernation hot button that puts the system in sleep/hibernation mode when pressed.
Your best best is to make sure your new keyboard doesn't have that key or remove the key completely.
Or better yet, disable sleep/hibernation modes in Power configuration panel:
1. Start > Run -or- Windows Key + r
2. Type powercfg.cpl
3. Then select Choose what the power buttons do
4. Change When I press the sleep button to [Do nothing]
5. Click Save changes

Done.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:06 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,586,949 times
Sleep mode is one of the worst things MS has ever offered as an option. I cannot tell you how many hours I spent messing with it when customers decided to use it and insisted they needed it.

Fine by me, just send the check in a timely manner.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:14 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,423,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Sleep mode is one of the worst things MS has ever offered as an option. I cannot tell you how many hours I spent messing with it when customers decided to use it and insisted they needed it.

What should Win7 users do if they don't want their computers to use power for the majority of the day but they don't want to power down and power up? The other alternative is Hibernate. I use Sleep and it seems OK.

The things I haven't mastered are the settings to let the network wake it up. For example, one of my PCs in the house holds all our music. It's connected via ethernet to my linksys wireless router. I want that computer to sleep when not in use but if I want to access the music files on it, I want to wake it up remotely, like from another room. I think there's a "Wake Up On Lan" setting for the NIC properties but for some reason, I don't remember having any luck with that set to 1. So, my next best technical option is to yell at one of the kids "Go move mommy's mouse!"

Old 09-04-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
What should Win7 users do if they don't want their computers to use power for the majority of the day but they don't want to power down and power up? The other alternative is Hibernate. I use Sleep and it seems OK.

The things I haven't mastered are the settings to let the network wake it up. For example, one of my PCs in the house holds all our music. It's connected via ethernet to my linksys wireless router. I want that computer to sleep when not in use but if I want to access the music files on it, I want to wake it up remotely, like from another room. I think there's a "Wake Up On Lan" setting for the NIC properties but for some reason, I don't remember having any luck with that set to 1. So, my next best technical option is to yell at one of the kids "Go move mommy's mouse!"
Try the Wake up on LAN" option in BIOS.

Also, you can download and use the free command line utility called WOL.exe (Wake-On-LAN) from this link.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 09-04-2013 at 05:29 PM..

Old 09-04-2013, 05:20 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,423,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Try the Wake up on LAN" option in BIOS.

I'll try that tonight. While I was typing my post I did read online something about having to have compatible BIOS. It's a five year old dell so I we'll see. Will check for BIOS update on Dell too.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:27 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,059,670 times
Quote:

They should use sleep. Sleep is a very useful and necessary feature.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:36 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,059,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

If you're going to blame one of them, you might as well blame all of them. Sleep state (not mode) was developed by Intel, MS Toshiba, HP, and Phoenix. It's a critically important feature on laptops... but widely popular on desktops as well.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:26 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,915,484 times
I use sleep mode all the time without any troubles but the OP's problem would drive me nuts too.

Does HP have any utilities for the keyboard? You can usually remap keys using that.

If it doesn't have one there is one listed here or directions for doing it through the registry:

Map Any Key to Any Key on Windows 7 / XP / Vista

Old 09-05-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I'll try that tonight. While I was typing my post I did read online something about having to have compatible BIOS. It's a five year old dell so I we'll see. Will check for BIOS update on Dell too.
I work with Dell Optiplex machines so I am guessing anything you have that is 5 year old should have it.
In BIOS, under the POWER section check for "Wake Up by LAN" or "Wake Up by Integrated LAN" option.
That option must be enabled for you to use the WOL.exe tool or any other similar program.

Sleep / Hibernation modes work well as long as the OS, BIOS and Video card support it. I can kind of relate to TEK's frustration but I am almost certain that scenario would be common with older hardware or with machines using dated BIOS. The other common culprit is the misbehaving video BIOS or crappy video drivers. Newer machines do not seem to have any problem from what I have seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers