Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2013, 02:21 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,792,324 times

Advertisements

I may need to ship my imac (if I move and decide to sell my car, and fly to my new destination) across the country. I talked with FedEx, and they tell me that in the original box and then that box inside of another box (to make it square), I should have no problem. The original imac box is not square, but it has mega padding with styro. I did find a large cardboard box to put the whole thing into so the imac would not be visible. The ground shipping isn't too bad (about $45) for the distance I would be shipping. FedEx also suggested putting "fragile" stickers all over the box. I would also buy insurance. I did see the videos recently of FedEx workers tossing boxes around, which concerns me. Theft would be less of an issue if I use the plain outer cardboard box. Has anyone ever shipped their computer after purchase?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 02:56 PM

1,804 posts, read 3,172,909 times
I've shipped a laptop just using the same original packaging. Didn't have a problem. Do wrap it in plastic or something to protect it from getting wet. There is the occasional leaky trailer. Theft shouldn't be a concern, when I worked there we got patted down every day when we left. Buy insurance in case something does happen to it.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:58 PM

17,674 posts, read 29,584,857 times
My iMac came to my house in the Apple double box via FedEx. If you have those boxes, use them.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
My iMac came to my house in the Apple double box via FedEx. If you have those boxes, use them.
When you mentioned the "Apple double box" do you mean the original imac box, which is not square, more like an "A"? It does have lots of styro padding inside.

I'm glad to hear it arrived safely via FedEx.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
I've shipped a laptop just using the same original packaging. Didn't have a problem. Do wrap it in plastic or something to protect it from getting wet. There is the occasional leaky trailer. Theft shouldn't be a concern, when I worked there we got patted down every day when we left. Buy insurance in case something does happen to it.
Thanks for mentioning the plastic. I hadn't thought of that. Since I would be using the original box inside another cardboard box, I can wrap the original box in plastic before inserting it inside the outer box. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers