Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 07:18 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times

Advertisements

No suggestions?

Update: I was able to upload two images to TinyPic.com a few minutes ago. Now it's not working again. I still can't send images or documents with email messages and still can't upload images to my City-Data albums. It's the weirdest thing, since I used to upload images on a daily basis.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:33 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
okay, to summarize:

- you cannot upload pics from your PC to any of the photo-hosting sites
- you get the same behavior with any browser
- you cannot send emails with any attachments
- this problem doesn't occur while you are on your work network, only on your home network

So ...

What error do you get when uploading from your home PC on your home network? 503- Service Unavailable?
What error do you get when emailing with attachments?
Are you using the same computer at home and at work?

I'm guessing that the problem is with your home network ... perhaps too much noise or your ISP has throttled it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 07:30 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Slow connection? Did you check your Internet speed?
Cleared history, cache and cookies?
Try to close all programs, turn off your computer, turn off your modem, wait a minute, and then re-connect all again.

Last edited by elnina; 06-17-2014 at 01:06 PM..

Old 06-18-2014, 07:51 PM

Thanks for your reply jaypee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
okay, to summarize:

- you cannot upload pics from your PC to any of the photo-hosting sites
- you get the same behavior with any browser
- you cannot send emails with any attachments
- this problem doesn't occur while you are on your work network, only on your home network

So ...

What error do you get when uploading from your home PC on your home network? 503- Service Unavailable? I get the Error 503 when I try to upload to sites like TinyPic and LunaPic. When I try to upload images to my albums on City-Data, after a very long time of the little circle thingy going round and round for several minutes (I just timed one at 4 mins), I get a warning saying, "This page can't be displayed. Make sure the web address http://www.city-data.com is correct."
What error do you get when emailing with attachments? After a few to several minutes of waiting, I get an error message that says, "The operation timed out while waiting for a response from the sending SMTP server . . .."
Are you using the same computer at home and at work? No. Two different PCs, but both have the same operating system and same version of Outlook.

I'm guessing that the problem is with your home network ... perhaps too much noise or your ISP has throttled it.
I have no idea what "noise" on an ISP is. I'll Google it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Slow connection? Did you check your Internet speed? I don't know how to check it. I guess I'll have to Google that, too.
Cleared history, cache and cookies? Yes on clearing history and cache; I haven't done anything with cookies.
Try to close all programs, turn off your computer, turn off your modem, wait a minute, and then re-connect all again.
I always log off and shut everything down when I'm not using it. However, I haven't disconnected my modem lately I'll try that. Thanks for the suggestion.

ETA: Unfortunately, unplugging my modem and router for several minutes and then firing everything up again didn't help. I'm still unable to upload photos or to send emails with attachments.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-18-2014 at 08:42 PM..

Old 06-19-2014, 11:17 AM

There's something wrong with your home network ... it's timing out or losing connection. Do you find that web browsing is slow?
Bring up a Command Prompt window (in Accessories) and type in: ping -t Google and let it go for a minute or two
and then hit Ctrl-C to stop. See if there are any packet losses.

You can also check the speed of your connection: http://www.speedtest.net/

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-19-2014 at 02:02 PM..

Old 06-19-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
There's something wrong with your home network ... it's timing out or losing connection. Do you find that web browsing is slow?
Bring up a Command Prompt window (in Accessories) and type in: ping -t Google and let it go for a minute or two
and then hit Ctrl-C to stop. See if there are any packet losses.

You can also check the speed of your connection: Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test
Thanks. I'll try that late this evening.

It's strange that I never had these problems before, and the files I want to upload are not large ones.

I'm anxious now to check for packet losses. (I read about them on Google after reading your post, so at least I have a bit of an idea what they are.)

Old 06-19-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Thanks. I'll try that late this evening.

It's strange that I never had these problems before, and the files I want to upload are not large ones.

I'm anxious now to check for packet losses. (I read about them on Google after reading your post, so at least I have a bit of an idea what they are.)

It's like someone stepping on your hose while you're watering your lawn.

command should be: ping -t "www.google.com"
but without the " "

Last edited by jaypee; 06-19-2014 at 02:53 PM..

Old 06-19-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
It's like someone stepping on your hose while you're watering your lawn.

command should be: ping -t "www.google.com"
but without the " "
Okay. Thanks!

Old 06-19-2014, 07:35 PM

Okay, I did the "ping" thing. It showed a bazillion items on a list. Every so often, instead of a row with numbers, it said, "Request timed out." This occurred sometimes after a dozen successful connections (I don't know the proper term) and sometimes 30 or 40 successful connections. I noticed that the number in one of the columns was always 32 bytes. In another column, there was a column that had numbers mostly between 62 and 67 ms (is that milliseconds, something to do with time elapsed?)

I also used your link, jaypee, to check my download speed. It showed the download speed at 3.13 Mbps and my Upload speed at 0.09 Mbps. Oh, and the number by the word "Ping" was 57.

After I ran the speed check, I was given an option to click on Windows Repair Solution and download Reimage Repair. I clicked on that and got a setup wizard for Reimage Repair. Is this something should I consider downloading? If so, would any repairs change things on my PC (such as, would I lose remembered passwords as I do when I clear the cache?)?

I've exited out of everything for the time being.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-20-2014 at 12:24 PM..

Old 06-20-2014, 01:11 AM

I'd contact your ISP to come out and check your line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers