Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 01:54 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,521,504 times

Advertisements

With a Windows computer, if you don't know the Windows password, can you boot the computer with a Windows CDROM?

If so, can you get access to the files on the C drive?

I think you can't, or else tons of people would access people's computers without the password.
What does happen if you try to do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 02:52 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
You can get to the files on the C drive without the password if the drive is not encrypted. There are also tools out there that will allow you to reset the password from outside of Windows as well (MS DaRT). The password only protects the data from being accessed by logging into Windows.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:05 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,868,948 times
Option 1 - Reset the password with a bootable CD like Offline Windows pw & reg-editor, bootdisk

Option 2 - pull the drive and put it in another computer, access files that way (you may need to grant yourself ownership of the files)

Option 3 - live CD with a linux flavor on it to browse/access the drive https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

In short, if someone has physical access to your PC, they have access to your data. It's extremely easy to bypass windows passwords....... like it was said above if the drive is encrypted it makes it extremely hard to view the files but it's still technically possible (not at all worthwhile and may take 10,000 years, but possible nonetheless). However, if you DO encrypt the data and then you LOSE the password to the user account then all of your data is gone and NOT retrievable. Be careful.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:23 PM

28 posts, read 42,864 times
I don't think you can log on to a Windows computer without the password--or if there is you probably have to be a com-sci expert to know how. I think ordinarily if you try to put in a Windows CD it's not going to let you it, it's going to try to repair or restore the computer.

But I think one way you could get on the computer and access the files is by using a linux live cd. However, I haven't tried it so I don't know how easier or hard that is.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:17 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,521,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post

Option 2 - pull the drive and put it in another computer, access files that way (you may need to grant yourself ownership of the files)
Isn't the Windows password stored on the hard drive?
If not, where is it stored?

Old 09-28-2013, 01:42 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,868,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Isn't the Windows password stored on the hard drive?
If not, where is it stored?
Yes, but what I meant was put it in another computer as a secondary drive, meaning you don't boot to it. You use another windows install on another hard drive to view the files. It'll show up in My Computer.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:16 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
You can set a password in the BIOS which is for the machine itself but that can be reset too by popping the battery out or if the mobo has BIOs reset switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGreenGirl View Post
I don't think you can log on to a Windows computer without the password--or if there is you probably have to be a com-sci expert to know how..
A Google search will find numerous results for instructions and tools to do it.

Quote:
But I think one way you could get on the computer and access the files is by using a linux live cd. However, I haven't tried it so I don't know how easier or hard that is
Pop the disk in and there's the files.

Funny story with this, a friend of mine was having a fight with his girlfriend and she reset the password on his machine. It was an XP machine though and that creates an administrator account that can be accessed in safemode, took all of 3 seconds to change his password back.

The bottom line is a windows password is like a cheap lock , it keeps honest people honest. As already suggested you need to encrypt the drive if you want to keep your data secure.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:54 AM

455 posts, read 898,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
Option 1 - Reset the password with a bootable CD like Offline Windows pw & reg-editor, bootdisk
This is an excellent program. I've been using it for years and it works better than Ophcrack in my experience. (unless you actually want to see what the password is)
X64, x86, XP, Vista, 7... basically anything with SAM. Just make it a bootable CD, boot to it, follow the prompts and blank out the password for the account you want to access. Save, restart, voila.

I have a bootable USB stick with this as well. Comes in handy at work.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:27 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulewel View Post
Can't work on my Windows 10 laptop. Any other suggestion?
You tried a Linux live CD and can't find your files?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers