Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2013, 06:51 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,811,487 times

Advertisements

Try to bear with me on this please.
(No One seems to know WTH I am trying to ask .. including Verizon!)

I have comcast for my tv broadcast.
I received my set top boxes today for FIOS tv.

Two months ago Verizon installed the outside box and battery backup for my internet and landline .. which I am now using.

THE question: Do I need to do a 'physical' disconnect of the comcast cable at the outside (comcast) box?

If I do, will I be able to run FIOS cable tv to the existing cables that are in my walls now .. the ones that comcast is broadcast through?

I am unclear on whether two signals (comcast and Verizon) are running over these inside cables right now?

The tech ran the line from an existing wall cable to my verizon modem but I am in the dark on whether that cable comes from the comcast box outside or from verizons ORT box?

In other words .. How will my tv signal be routed?

Do I just leave everything alone .. disconnect my comcast boxes and connect the fios boxes to the same cable outlets?

I told you that No one could understand my question!

Have I confused all of you too?

Thanks

BTW: The only thing Verizon told me was that I didn't need a tech to come out and sent the boxes by UPS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 07:42 PM

503 posts, read 1,197,392 times
If I am understandind this correctly you have a FIOS connection inside your home. I say this because you are usins FIOS for your internet. I would think you would use a "Y splitter" where the FIOS comes into your home. One wire going to your TV and one wire going to your internet. That is how I do it at my home using Comcast.

Never having FIOS I don't know if they use the same type of cables.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:12 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,775,139 times
This is a typical setup for cable TV/internet:

**********Cable From street*******
***********!2 way Splitter!************
*******Modem********4 way Splitter etc.******
*****************TV1 TV2 TV3 TV4******

!Note when you split cable you're splitting the signal strength at that point, the first splitter should be a two way splitter so half the signal strength goes to the modem and the other half is going to be split between the TV's.

Last edited by thecoalman; 10-07-2013 at 08:22 PM..

Old 10-07-2013, 09:57 PM

I have FIOS internet and phone right now.
The ORT interface has been running for months.

Is the Fios TV going to run by disconnecting the comcast boxes from the in house cables and connecting the FIOS boxes to the same cables .. without my having to do anything else?

Old 10-08-2013, 07:48 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,632,282 times
Do you mean that you have had Comcast connected to your cable wiring in your home, and now you want to connect FIOS to those same wires without having to change anything? I would think that you could, but I have never had FIOS, so I'm not sure.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:21 PM

Took the modem from the man cave and connected it to the cable in one of the rooms where I want FIOS TV.

Power on .. no WAN which would indicate .. no FIOS in that room!

Argued with a 'tech' on the phone who told me I need new tv terminals because FIOS doesn't run over coax!

I said, "Your Nuts" .. Fios DOES run over coax, the same coax that I was running comcast on!
The ONT box converts the signal.

I also told him that he better send someone to pick up the boxes they sent since .. They Have Coax terminals on the back!

He quickly transfered me and a tech will be out tomorrow!

I KNEW that this wasn't going to be a smooth transition!

Old 10-08-2013, 03:05 PM

6,557 posts, read 11,181,141 times
Fios is fiber to the home, where it terminates to your ONT. From there, its typically coax to your TV, and router (albeit RJ45 is also common). The coax cable in your house should work with FIOS as long as they are up to specs (which they should).

Old 10-08-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Fios is fiber to the home, where it terminates to your ONT. From there, its typically coax to your TV, and router (albeit RJ45 is also common). The coax cable in your house should work with FIOS as long as they are up to specs (which they should).
True that!

They just haven't run cable from the ONT to the home (TV) cable connections is my guess!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers