Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 11:24 AM

13,520 posts, read 21,994,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon5 View Post
In that picture it should say "You're boring," not "your boring." Justthought I'd point that out as being unable to tell the difference between "you're" and "your" is one of my pet peeves.

The rest of this thread really isn't worth commenting on.
The image came from icanhascheezburger.com.
Maybe a cat or dog wrote it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 01:23 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,354,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Prices are current as of 11/12 from TigerDirect:

CPU: i7-4770k = $340
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO = $185
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance = $200
Video Card: Saphire Radeon 7950 3GB GDDR5 = $270
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB = $190
Storage HD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM = $100
Case: Fractal Design R4 = $105
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W Modular = $80
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper N520 = $38
Monitor: ASUS 23" IPS 2ms LED = $210
Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech Gaming Combo = $100
Blu-Ray Burner: LG 14x 3D = $70

TOTAL = $2,008

Good list, quality stuff there.

Here's my i5 build:

12/31/12-$074.99-Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
12/31/12-$045.99-CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

02/01/13-$119.99-Seagate Constellation ES ST1000NM0011 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
02/01/13-$019.99-ASUS 24X DVD Burner -

03/01/13-$079.99-SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V v2.3
03/01/13-$064.99-SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16

03/14/13-$069.99-Xigmatek GIGAS Series CCC-MD26TA-U02 Silver Aluminum MicroATX Desktop Computer Case
03/14/13-$064.99-GIGABYTE GA-B75M-HD3 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1155 Intel B75

04/01/13-$179.99-ASUS VS239H-P Black 23" 5ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Monitor

05/01/13-$036.99-Logitech Washable Keyboard K310
05/01/13-$014.99-Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse

10/01/13-$195.98-Intel Core i5-3570 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core

TOTAL- $833.39

As you can see I was buying parts by the month while using my cheap i3 system.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:33 PM

8,221 posts, read 13,299,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
I don't know why he doesn't set up on his own as a consultant if he's a qualified engineer.
Why would he when mommy and the taxpayers are handling the bills and he has a juicy gaming rig in the kitchen ready for hours and hours of fun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I'm not experienced enough to do Product Design consulting. I don't have a strong enough resume yet.
What?? You are saying every person's resume reflect that person's skills and qualifications with 100% accuracy and truth? Who knew!
Don't ever be the one who stops you from applying/interviewing for an opportunity. This is not for jobs, this goes for going after that special someone or business deal, etc. You go for it with 100% confidence and enthusiasm, let the other party who has the say in it to be the one to say "No!" to you. I am dead serious.
Quote:
Quit getting on my case because I get SSDI. I can spend the money the way I want to. And during my 5 + years of unemployment I applied for jobs for 4.7 years. I'm not a gov moocher, I actually want a good paying Mech Eng job, but they discriminate in jobs and they prefer to hire a good looking white guy for those kinds of jobs.
You being a minority has very little if anything to do with it. If you have low self-esteem or any kind of self-doubt, lack of interest and enthusiasm, then doesn't matter if you are the most handsome white applicant, they won't hire you unless you are applying at Chip 'n Dale's!
Stop making excuses already! I know job market is really tough and there is definitely favoritism happening but there are still many opportunities where that is not the case so stop justifying your situation with that excuse. I can empathize a few months or even a year in some extreme cases but 5 years? Please! You are either not trying anywhere near hard enough or doing something wrong!

Remember, if you are not getting calls, you are either not applying at the right positions or your resume sucks. If you are getting calls for interviews but after the interview, nothing more, you are either not the right person for the position or more so, you did badly in the interview. Whatever the case is, review what you have, update/correct/change whatever needs to be and try and try and try.

Quote:
And I posted this thread to give an example of a good, well built PC gaming system and how much it would cost. Because too many time people talk about buying a good computer yet they don't want to spend much money on them. Back in the 90's people had to spend $2000+ to get a good computer.
And we are forever thankful to you for your thoughtfulness and generosity but do you really think you have your priorities in the right order? Just sayin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
My Dad paid $750 for a VHS VCR back in the 80's.
I don't think we got ours till like late 80s! But I had a Commodore 64 back in like 1983 so I am not complaining!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
This thread is still alive and unlocked?
Are you insane? How many other juicy threads you see come up in this geeky side of the forum?
Besides, we all enjoy bashing on the unemployed minority who seems to be living in la la land!

Old 11-22-2013, 04:44 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,858,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Are you insane? How many other juicy threads you see come up in this geeky side of the forum?
Besides, we all enjoy bashing on the unemployed minority who seems to be living in la la land!
Hahaha, don't get me wrong, I love the hell out of threads like these, they just normally never get to stay alive very long

Old 11-22-2013, 05:54 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,378,715 times
Quote:

See the pics of my build!

Nice.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:21 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,855,026 times
Quote:
What?? You are saying every person's resume reflect that person's skills and qualifications with 100% accuracy and truth? Who knew!
Don't ever be the one who stops you from applying/interviewing for an opportunity. This is not for jobs, this goes for going after that special someone or business deal, etc. You go for it with 100% confidence and enthusiasm, let the other party who has the say in it to be the one to say "No!" to you. I am dead serious.
I started freelancing straight out of uni, and I landed my first built commission six months into my post grad work placement. Granted the economy was better back then, and i'd worked in practice for two years before going to university but it's mostly drive, a good portfolio and a lot of 'faking it.'

Last edited by archineer; 11-23-2013 at 12:19 AM..

Old 11-23-2013, 03:01 AM

8,221 posts, read 13,299,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
I started freelancing straight out of uni, and I landed my first built commission six months into my post grad work placement. Granted the economy was better back then, and i'd worked in practice for two years before going to university but it's mostly drive, a good portfolio and a lot of 'faking it.'
If there is a will, there is a way, right?

Sometimes when finding a job in your preferred field becomes barren, I feel it might be wise to look for a job in another field that you are at least somewhat knowledgeable on or at least passionate about. Even a part-time job so that:

A) You have some income, good or bad.
B) Your confidence goes up and your morale improves.
C) You are no longer unemployed and even though it may not be in your actual career field, it would likely to make you much more preferable compared to an unemployed candidate.

So, Jesse, put that joystick down on make a list of secondary jobs that you could do, even part-time till you find something better or something in your career field?
You seem to know about computers, why not get a tech job at a shop?
OR
Work at a bicycle shop which you seem to be into?

I personally much rather have a temporary lousy job that I make less instead of continuing on getting unemployment pay which might be more. I feel having a job that pays less than unemployment more dignifying but that is probably just me because nothing is worse than having no job, it makes me feel useless, without a purpose.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:57 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,855,026 times
Quote:
If there is a will, there is a way, right?

Sometimes when finding a job in your preferred field becomes barren, I feel it might be wise to look for a job in another field that you are at least somewhat knowledgeable on or at least passionate about. Even a part-time job so that:

A) You have some income, good or bad.
B) Your confidence goes up and your morale improves.
C) You are no longer unemployed and even though it may not be in your actual career field, it would likely to make you much more preferable compared to an unemployed candidate.

So, Jesse, put that joystick down on make a list of secondary jobs that you could do, even part-time till you find something better or something in your career field?
You seem to know about computers, why not get a tech job at a shop?
OR
Work at a bicycle shop which you seem to be into?

I personally much rather have a temporary lousy job that I make less instead of continuing on getting unemployment pay which might be more. I feel having a job that pays less than unemployment more dignifying but that is probably just me because nothing is worse than having no job, it makes me feel useless, without a purpose.
Point is he said he didn't have enough experience to start on his own.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:05 AM

219 posts, read 429,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I'm not going to get into the other arguments and your personality issues. What I will say is that to even REMOTELY suggest that someone needs to spend $7,000+ to get a "good computer" to play games is complete and utter BS. The VAST majority of the cost on your system is your monitor setup and the ridiculous amount of storage you have. If you did actually spend $7,000+ then the actual hardware portion (not counting all of the storage drives) of that build is less than a quarter of that.

My personal computer which is plenty fine for running most games at near maxed settings would cost UNDER $900 for EVERYTHING to build a similar system. Here is a representative build for what would be considered a "high end" gaming rig that is easily capable of playing ANY game maxed at 1080p+.

Prices are current as of 11/12 from TigerDirect:

CPU: i7-4770k = $340
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO = $185
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance = $200
Video Card: Saphire Radeon 7950 3GB GDDR5 = $270
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB = $190
Storage HD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM = $100
Case: Fractal Design R4 = $105
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W Modular = $80
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper N520 = $38
Monitor: ASUS 23" IPS 2ms LED = $210
Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech Gaming Combo = $100
Blu-Ray Burner: LG 14x 3D = $70

TOTAL = $2,008

That is for EVERYTHING soup to nuts to build a high end gaming rig that will run anything made today and for the next 2+ years without needing to change anything. If you want to get real crazy, you could double up the video cards, add two more monitors (all of which is completely unnecessary) and come out at $2,698. Like I said, your "$7,000 gaming rig" is complete bull since you spent so much money on things that are not actually related to the performance of your computer.

The above build would also be a "brag build" as even that is frankly completely unnecessary. I could build a very competent gaming rig for less than $1,000 all in as evidenced by the countless contests to build such rigs on sites like Tom's Hardware. Your build in NO WAY is representative of the cost or what constitutes a "high end" gaming rig.
This is exactly what my thoughts were when I looked at his parts list. His $7000 system is nothing to brag about. In fact, I would be embarrassed to admit I spent that on a system with those components. Considering the OP's tendency to over spend, he should focus on trying to land a job in government - he will fit right in.

Old 11-23-2013, 03:22 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,695,954 times
This is my system build and it's nothing to be embarrassed about. http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...10-17-2013.jpg

In 4 months I'll swap out the sound card a dual tv tuners to my new i7 4770K computer build.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers