Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2013, 06:55 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,648 times

Advertisements

I am just curious. A lot of companies provide a way to email them online. The form is there. You fill it in. You hit Send or Remit or whatever it says and nothing happens. It just doesn't go. Is it possible that they turn those off at night? Or, just turn them off, period? Does email to companies only work certain hours a day? Just wondering and, having nothing better to do, asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 10:16 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
To answer the actual questions: I suppose but why would they?, no, no and no.

Using Internet Explorer, I bet? Some of those forms need COMPATABILITY MODE to be turned on.

Fix site display problems with Compatibility View - Microsoft Windows Help

Old 11-22-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

Using Internet Explorer, I bet? Some of those forms need COMPATABILITY MODE to be turned on.

Oh, dear! Why do I keep forgetting about "Compatibility View"? I've been told enough. If a site doesn't work, try the Compatibility View". I think I'll paste a not in front of me.

Thank you. Sorry for my forgetfulness.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

By the way, my question isn't as far-fetched as it sounds. I used to order from a company in Wales that shuts down for two weeks over Christmas. They announce this at their web site and say the web site services will also be down during that time. No ordering, no shipping. So, companies do, for one reason or another, shut down services.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:27 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,870,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
By the way, my question isn't as far-fetched as it sounds. I used to order from a company in Wales that shuts down for two weeks over Christmas. They announce this at their web site and say the web site services will also be down during that time. No ordering, no shipping. So, companies do, for one reason or another, shut down services.
Shutting down emailing capability seems over the top. Typically they'd just set the auto reply to tell the customer that they'll be closed for X amount of days and they will have their email replied to by X day.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
Shutting down emailing capability seems over the top. Typically they'd just set the auto reply to tell the customer that they'll be closed for X amount of days and they will have their email replied to by X day.
I could see their point. You have a nice vacation and come back to tons of work before you've even breathed? Not a good feeling. They always gave plenty of notice. There were no surprises. You ordered early for Christmas and then took a break. Who is spending much after Christmas anyway? :-)

Old 11-22-2013, 02:19 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,870,050 times
The company exists to work and make money, if their workers came back to no work, they'd not need their jobs

edit: rather, their jobs wouldn't need them

Old 11-22-2013, 04:11 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
By the way, my question isn't as far-fetched as it sounds.
I don't see why any company would shut down email service and certainly if they were they wouldn't leave the form up. If they shutting down operations for a week or whatever the email will there waiting for thm when they get back. It's not like you need someone monitoring it.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:01 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,191,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
The company exists to work and make money, if their workers came back to no work, they'd not need their jobs

edit: rather, their jobs wouldn't need them
bhphoto observes jewish holidays. They do not accept orders through their website on these days.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:53 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
bhphoto observes jewish holidays. They do not accept orders through their website on these days.
But they don't shutdown their email on said holidays. That's the point trying to be made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers