U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2013, 02:12 PM

71 posts, read 275,661 times

Advertisements

I ran a disk inventory of my Macintosh OS. It showed that my "Users" folder took up 30GB of space and contains 90K files.

I know the "Library" folder contains system utilities necessary for proper function, but what is stored in the "Users" folder?

I am the only user of this particular computer, and I offloaded all music, pictures, and documents. What else specific to a particular user profile would be stored?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 03:33 PM

16,782 posts, read 29,548,501 times
As far as I understand it, the User Folder is as follows: lest say that you buy a new Mac and go through the process of creating a "User account." This is done when you start-up a new computer. That's where you enter your user name, and admin password. This is your user folder.

If you go to System Preferences, then look for a folder called "User and Groups" and click on it, you will see:
"Current User" and the name you used to create your computer account. If you created an admin account, it will show as such in there.

If there are more than one user account and you logoff, when you enter your username and password the computer opens your user folder only, and everything you see on the desktop or any other place throughout the computer is your stuff only (music, photos, documents, and so on). Another user only sees his or her own files and folders, not yours. They have their own user folder.

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-12-2013 at 03:42 PM..

Old 12-13-2013, 03:17 PM

199 posts, read 203,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delasoul View Post
I am the only user of this particular computer, and I offloaded all music, pictures, and documents. What else specific to a particular user profile would be stored?
The user folder is
  • Desktop
  • Documents
  • Downloads
  • Movies
  • Music
  • Pictures
  • Public
  • Sites
  • Applications

amongst others that can get in there from other applications (e.g. Dropbox, Parallels, etc.)

Do you use iPhoto? That library can get big quickly. Open your user folder, select all the folders in it at the same time ⌘+a, then ⌘+i (Get Info), let OS X calculate the size of each and see where the bulk of the data is.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:35 AM

3,374 posts, read 4,663,657 times
The User folder is just how the directory works. It's not an extra folder it is just another way to access the users folders. It doesn't duplicate files.

There may be things in the User folder that is the best way to locate them, they don't show up just going through the name of the user on the desktop.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:02 PM

7,248 posts, read 5,760,391 times
The big one is probably your user Library folder, where lots of applications store data (mail, phone backups, browser cache, etc). Your music folder can also get pretty big, since iTunes insists on dumping album artwork there even if you move your actual music elsewhere. iPhoto can eat up a lot of space.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
The big one is probably your user Library folder, where lots of applications store data (mail, phone backups, browser cache, etc). Your music folder can also get pretty big, since iTunes insists on dumping album artwork there even if you move your actual music elsewhere. iPhoto can eat up a lot of space.
You can choose to add album artwork or not in iTunes.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:04 AM

7,248 posts, read 5,760,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
You can choose to add album artwork or not in iTunes.
So? If you do want the artwork, iTunes will put it in your Users folder even if you moved the actual music elsewhere. It is possible to get around it though by copying the artwork and actual library elsewhere, then pointing iTunes to that location.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
So? If you do want the artwork, iTunes will put it in your Users folder even if you moved the actual music elsewhere. It is possible to get around it though by copying the artwork and actual library elsewhere, then pointing iTunes to that location.
If you don't want to artwork, set iTunes not to download the artwork. In this case, if you burn a CD and want to print the cover for the album, you just won't be able to do it unless you download the artwork for it.

Look at iTunes "preferences," and then "Store."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or