Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2013, 05:28 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times

Advertisements

I bought that $199 MicroCenter deal on an i7 4770K cpu deal. Now I gotta build a new desktop for it, and that can be expensive if I buy another big ssd > 480gb and another 4 TB h.d.. So I was thinking, maybe I'll take out my OS Samsung 512GB 830 Pro and my 4TB h.d. from my current i7 2600K rig and put it into the new computer. So without reformatting I'd have all my savegames, programs, and Steam games from my current rig. All I have to do is enter a new Product Key for the OS, right? So that would be the Product Key from my 2nd reserve copy of Win 7 Pro I bought. Would this work? Has anyone here successfully tried such an upgrade approach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 06:34 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I bought that $199 MicroCenter deal on an i7 4770K cpu deal. Now I gotta build a new desktop for it, and that can be expensive if I buy another big ssd > 480gb and another 4 TB h.d.. So I was thinking, maybe I'll take out my OS Samsung 512GB 830 Pro and my 4TB h.d. from my current i7 2600K rig and put it into the new computer. So without reformatting I'd have all my savegames, programs, and Steam games from my current rig. All I have to do is enter a new Product Key for the OS, right? So that would be the Product Key from my 2nd reserve copy of Win 7 Pro I bought. Would this work? Has anyone here successfully tried such an upgrade approach?
While it's theoretically possible, it's pretty ugly IMO.

You wouldn't even need to change the key (since you seem to be retiring the old machine), you'd just have to reactivate it.

But so much hardware is going to change that I'd be leery of having Windows refind all of the drivers for things like chipsets, USB, NIC, etc.

Now, moving the non OS drives is a different matter, and should be a non issue.

I personally run Steam on a second drive already, and all I have to do when I move it to a new machine, is install Steam back to the folder it was installed in before, and it refinds all of my games. They do have to reinstall (rerun the buildbot, and possibly install VC patches, punkbuster, etc).

Old 12-13-2013, 06:50 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
I won't retire my i7 2600K computer. It will be a backup computer now, and my old i7 920 computer will be sent to the Philippines, maybe given to my cousin. That's how I get rid of old hardware. So my i7 2600K computer will have a new 256GB ssd Win 7 Prof install with it's same Product Key.

I have to change the Win 7 Product Key when I put the 512GB ssd into the new build. Saving a lot of money from buying a new 750GB to 1TB ssd and a 4TB h.d. would help a lot.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:03 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
You can buy software to move your os to different hardware.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:38 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,812,334 times
and all he has to do is make an image of the hard drive to the ssd drive. now be warned that he will have to burn all of his pics music ect ect off the pc before making an image of the drive. though I would reformat the drive and not let it update just my preference

Old 12-17-2013, 06:13 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,870,050 times
ugh, dirty installs make me nauseous, so much less headache just starting fresh.....

Old 12-19-2013, 11:28 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
It's PC Building 101 that you should do a clean, fresh OS install on a new or heavily upgraded system. Assuming the 4TB is a strorage drive, that should swap over with no problem. However, you should wipe and format the SSD going into the new system and go with a fresh install of Win7. There is absolutely nothing to be gained, except for maybe saving an hour or two, by trying to just swap the drives...and a lot of headaches that can be caused; headaches that will probably led you to wiping the drive and doing a clean OS install anyway. Don't be lazy and do it right.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:53 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
It's PC Building 101 that you should do a clean, fresh OS install on a new or heavily upgraded system. Assuming the 4TB is a strorage drive, that should swap over with no problem. However, you should wipe and format the SSD going into the new system and go with a fresh install of Win7. There is absolutely nothing to be gained, except for maybe saving an hour or two, by trying to just swap the drives...and a lot of headaches that can be caused; headaches that will probably led you to wiping the drive and doing a clean OS install anyway. Don't be lazy and do it right.
Since the op doesn't know the difference between a fake email, a reinstall will be good just to clean it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers