Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 08:22 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times

Advertisements

So many of the knowledgeable pc people here have helped me, I'm hoping it will happen again. I will be so grateful! Having had so many problems with my new (refurbished) desktop pc recently, now, it is my monitor. I have a 19"CRT Compaq which is about 10 years old. Never a problem before now, but the past few days, some sort of interference is messing up the screen. Mainly horizontal moving lines, although diagonal lines move through, also. These take up 2/3rds of the screen. Is the solution a new monitor or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 08:55 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
So many of the knowledgeable pc people here have helped me, I'm hoping it will happen again. I will be so grateful! Having had so many problems with my new (refurbished) desktop pc recently, now, it is my monitor. I have a 19"CRT Compaq which is about 10 years old. Never a problem before now, but the past few days, some sort of interference is messing up the screen. Mainly horizontal moving lines, although diagonal lines move through, also. These take up 2/3rds of the screen. Is the solution a new monitor or what?

I'm wondering if you have some interference affecting your monitor.
Do you have some new component or device in close proximity to the monitor?
Is the monitor cable laying across something to create a magnetic field, or tangled with a couple of power cords?
Is your monitor cable connected tightly to the monitor and computer?

Did you put a magnetic anything on top of the monitor? In-laws once put a magnet base over the CRT TV and it misbehaved, just like you are describing.

And, after ten years, maybe it is just shot.
You can get another CRT monitor on Craigslist for free to $10. There is no market for them at all.
Your local computer shop can probably give you a nice one, too.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:02 AM

Thanks. No, nothing magnetic on top of it. Nothing at all on top. I've adjusted the screen a lot lately due to trying to find the best setting for the resolution. Maybe it is just shot. If replacement is the answer, then it will be a lightweight flat screen, because this one is so heavy I can't begin to lift it.

I notice there are some inexpensive flat screen monitors, such as $135. for 21" or much less for smaller. If I could lift another CRT, it would be great. Prices so much less than years ago. This one I have was $500. Thanks a lot for your post.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:06 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Any changes to the environment before this? (did you move the pc/monitor? added new components to the pc?)
Are the connectors to the PC and monitor secure?
Have you tried reseating the graphics card on the PC? (only if you've messed with it)
Is there another PC you can hook up to the monitor or another display to hook up to the PC?

My bet is that you have a bad monitor that needs replacing.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:23 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
You can get a good 20"--22" flat screen for much less than $135, if you can wait a couple of days for delivery. Make sure you have the right cable and port on your computer:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...deId=1&bop=And

And before I spent more than $100 on a 20" monitor, I would go to a 24" monitor without hesitation.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...deId=1&bop=And

I am in a more urban area than Muscogee, so I have been able to pick up 24" monitors on Craigslist for $50--$60.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:06 PM

What sort of cable and port do I need for the new monitor? (And, MikeJaquish, ANY area is more urban than where I am. lol)

Old 12-14-2013, 06:32 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
VGA cable is standard. Some may be able to use HDMI or DVI as well.

19" LED monitor at Staples for $80, free shipping:

Gateway KX1953 19.5" LED Backlight Monitor | Staples®

Dell refurbed monitors: outlet.us.Dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?brandId=222806&c=us&cs=22&l=e n&MODEL_DESC=ALL&s=dfh

Free shipping and use this coupon for 20% off:XZZZH20C00?RLV

There's a 19-in LCD monitor there that can be had for $71 after coupon.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
VGA cable is standard. Some may be able to use HDMI or DVI as well.

19" LED monitor at Staples for $80, free shipping:

Gateway KX1953 19.5" LED Backlight Monitor | Staples®

Dell refurbed monitors: outlet.us.Dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?brandId=222806&c=us&cs=22&l=e n&MODEL_DESC=ALL&s=dfh

Free shipping and use this coupon for 20% off:XZZZH20C00?RLV

There's a 19-in LCD monitor there that can be had for $71 after coupon.
Thanks!

Old 12-16-2013, 12:23 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,799,364 times
Before you buy the monitor, you might want to check what resolution you are using now. Chances are you'll need to get either a 19" 4:3 non wide screen or a 24" wide screen to get a similar viewing experience. Also your computer may not even support the wide screen resolution, things will be stretched out. If you are a very simple computer user and like things big, the old 15" LCD will make the text the largest, yes it an odd comment to make.

You might even try Ebay.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Before you buy the monitor, you might want to check what resolution you are using now. Chances are you'll need to get either a 19" 4:3 non wide screen or a 24" wide screen to get a similar viewing experience. Also your computer may not even support the wide screen resolution, things will be stretched out. If you are a very simple computer user and like things big, the old 15" LCD will make the text the largest, yes it an odd comment to make.

You might even try Ebay.
At the moment, I'm using 1024x768 which seems to work well. What I would like is to change monitors without acquiring more problems. Having the font or anything else stretched out due to a wide screen monitor is what I would consider a problem. I sit in an easy chair with my eyes about 4 feet from the monitor screen. I know more about computers than any of my friends, but, I'm sure my description is a very simple computer user. lol. Obviously, some of my questions for help in this forum are indicative of that. Most, if not all the monitors in the stores are wide screen. If some computers don't support a wide screen.... what a pain to deal with. How to know ahead of time? Since old monitors are heavy, I can't lift heavy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers