Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 07:35 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,824,594 times

Advertisements

OK, I'm trying to help my son via phone set-up a new Win8 computer for my grandson. Both of us are currently using XP, so we are challenged. Current big issue is email. His email provider is RoadRunner, which does not support IMAP. Win8 obviously does not like POP3 accounts.

RR tech suggested purchasing Outlook. That cost is tough to justify for a pre-teen. Tech then suggested downloading Windows Essentials(?). I also recall some posts from along ago that recommended Thunderbird for Win7.

Any recommendations for a quick (Christmas present), cheap (all money has been spent) solution that we can implement over a phone call?

Any suggestions sincerely appreciated. Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 08:37 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
OK, I'm trying to help my son via phone set-up a new Win8 computer for my grandson. Both of us are currently using XP, so we are challenged. Current big issue is email. His email provider is RoadRunner, which does not support IMAP. Win8 obviously does not like POP3 accounts.

RR tech suggested purchasing Outlook. That cost is tough to justify for a pre-teen. Tech then suggested downloading Windows Essentials(?). I also recall some posts from along ago that recommended Thunderbird for Win7.

Any recommendations for a quick (Christmas present), cheap (all money has been spent) solution that we can implement over a phone call?

Switch to gmail or outlook.com (free). Install Thunderbird (also free).

There's no excuse for not supporting IMAP. POP made no sense in the 90s, and it makes even less sense now that people routinely have more than one device.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:15 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,660,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Switch to gmail or outlook.com (free). Install Thunderbird (also free).

There's no excuse for not supporting IMAP. POP made no sense in the 90s, and it makes even less sense now that people routinely have more than one device.
Both POP and IMAP have their place. I personally wouldn't use a provider that didn't provide POP. I don't want to have to rely on someone else to provide mail backup, or preserving 10+ years of mail history, and I've found having tens of thousands of messages on the server to be a pain at best.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:

Windows Live essentials will provide Live Mail (I think that's what they call it this week), which is the successor to Outlook Express from the old days.

As has been suggested, Thunderbird is a free email client that can be used as well. It's from Mozilla (the Firefox folks), and while is pretty decent for a free client.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:21 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,435,548 times
Apparently, having a private email program through your server is a thing of the past. I recently went from XP to Windows 7 to discover the only choice is the type email I've only used for internet business or entertainment such as gmail, yahoo or outlook as in live.com. Outlook is free.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Switch to gmail or outlook.com (free). Install Thunderbird (also free). There's no excuse for not supporting IMAP. POP made no sense in the 90s, and it makes even less sense now that people routinely have more than one device.
Thanks for the feedback. Project is on hold for last-minute Christmas shopping, but I think we're going to try to download and install Thunderbird. It's my understanding that none of the major cable providers such as TW, Comcast, etc offer IMAP support. If MS continues to require IMAP, I don't understand how the cable providers can avoid it for long. Thanks again for your help.

Quote:
...Outlook is free.
Really? Where? I recall being able to get a free outlook.com email address, but the MS Outlook email client I found online was expensive. RoadRunner's tech support was recommending that I purchase the Outlook program since MS no longer offers the free Outlook Express email client that was available thru XP.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Apparently, having a private email program through your server is a thing of the past. I recently went from XP to Windows 7 to discover the only choice is the type email I've only used for internet business or entertainment such as gmail, yahoo or outlook as in live.com. Outlook is free.
There's no client installed by default, but you can add any number of them, including Live Mail, or Thunderbird.

Windows Essentials: Other Programs - Microsoft Windows

Mozilla Thunderbird

Old 12-23-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Windows Live essentials will provide Live Mail (I think that's what they call it this week), which is the successor to Outlook Express from the old days.
Thanks - I'm looking at that too. Doing some online research, I keep seeing references to some backward compatibility issues with .NET framework when using Live Mail with Win8. I'm not sure we could work thru that over the phone between now and Weds. Any experiences with Live Mail on Win8?

Old 12-23-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks - I'm looking at that too. Doing some online research, I keep seeing references to some backward compatibility issues with .NET framework when using Live Mail with Win8. I'm not sure we could work thru that over the phone between now and Weds. Any experiences with Live Mail on Win8?
Unfortunately no .... we use Outlook on all of our machines.

I'd probably just go for Thunderbird.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:00 AM

Thanks for your quick response. I think we're gonna start with Thunderbird. Sounds like a good option. Again, thanks for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers