Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 08:40 AM

186 posts, read 310,766 times

Advertisements

Are Dell laptops any good? I bought a Dell Inspiron M531R. Anyone ever owned a Dell laptop or a Dell computer in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 01:38 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,012,304 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/compu...vs-lenovo.html

Old 12-24-2013, 04:17 PM

10,924 posts, read 21,885,480 times
Most people do research BEFORE buying something, but hey, better late than never I suppose

Old 12-24-2013, 06:54 PM

15,395 posts, read 25,653,149 times
I've own 4 of them since 2001. 3 of them still work (2006,2006,2009). I've been happy with them.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:50 AM

858 posts, read 2,985,703 times
We have owned a few Dells and overall we like them.

I would recommend buying the extended warranty as that has worked out well for us. Our last XPS experienced some issues at the 3.5 year mark, and Dell sent us a brand new XPS, and you can't beat that.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:20 AM

3 posts, read 3,635 times
Default Dell Laptop Purchase

I recently bought dell laptop, Inspiron of Series 15 K12, the best part about dell laptops according to me is that their laptops are within the the money in one's pocket (affordable) then the thing that make them out stands their competitor is the Durability factor of their gadgets and the most importantly their support system the "dell Connect" just work like cherry on cake for the company....So I don't think so that you did anything wrong by buying Dell Inspiron M531R.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:05 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,012,304 times
Wow,Dells sound so amazing ... I have to have one. Thanks!! I've heard the company is an amazing employer as well, is this true?

Old 02-27-2014, 05:17 PM

8,234 posts, read 13,319,214 times
We are a Dell shop here but also have a few Macs and IBM/Lenovos, too. Desktops were Optiplex but the last couple of years we have been getting the XPS models for the most part. Optiplex model is not flawless but it is a reliable workhorse. For a short while we also got the Vostro model, not sure if they still make 'em, but not recommended!

XPS models have been decent for the most part but their ever-changing video card made deployments a bit annoying. Also XPS 8300 model came with pretty good ATI/AMD graphics cards initially but they quickly switched to inferior models and eventually to a very obscure, unmarked model which auto detection tools couldn't even identify. They came with Win 8 and if you wanted to installed a 32-bit version of Windows 7, you will have tough time locating the drivers as Dell doesn't support it.

The late 8700 models also switched to Nvidia 630 graphics which made things much better.

Also bunch of XPS 8300 NIC started failing anywhere from a month to a year, that was annoying and required motherboard replacement since they were under warranty. XPS 8500 and 8700 models, despite the default low-end graphics card they come with, have been good.
Still, I would also recommend a 1/2-year and preferably a 3-year warranty for those who hold onto their PCs for 3+ years.

We also got a batch of Optiplex 7010 machines, not as slick looking as XPS but definitely a solid machine with the same exact internals.

For those looking to place their monitor on top of the PC, Optiplex 3010/7010 or a similar model would be the way to go as they have a horizontal layout (DVD drives, connections, slim profile, etc.), too.

For those who have their PC stand on its own, XPS might be a better choice.

Latitude is what I normally work on and a few MacBooks, iPads and Lenovo laptops/netbooks (X120e and X1 Carbon). X120e was meh, but I was really impressed with Lenovo X1 Carbon.

Even though I like the Latitude models, for anyone looking for a slim, light weight laptop/Netbook, I'd say, take a look at Lenovo X1 Carbon, too.

One thing that annoys me the most with all the brands I worked on, was, even after putting the Service Tag #, you still get multiple device drivers for most of the devices! I could see this turning into a daunting process for Novice users who are skilled enough to install/re-image their own OS.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:47 PM

260 posts, read 906,440 times
I know over 10 years ago I had problems with their powercords and had to order one when I needed to replace it. I hope they now have a generic cord so you can buy one in a local store if you need one. It was a good comp otherwise. I spilled a big glass of water on the keyboard and it squealed like a fighting cat and shut down. I left it alone for a month and turned it back on and everything but the floppy disc worked. I still use it for some old programs. I don't use it for internet. Just used it last week for a old printshop program. I also have a old quickbooks program I use as long as I don't go on the internet I can do invoices and billing. I bought it in 2001. Water spill was 2005. I didn't get another one because it was easier and quicker to go buy one locally and could not wait to order another. Had 2 Toshiba's since then. Not good, over heating problems and now have a lenovo almost 2 yrs with no problems.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:53 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,390,072 times
have a dell that finally is unusable, the car charger or home chasrger will not work...something with the charging port is bad

it apparently is common after googling

i mean its been dropped a few times and sat on once, i have replace 2 screens on ebay

so i guess i got alot of use out of it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers