U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 04:28 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,995,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Why using a laptop with a small screen to play games? A Play Station 3, or a XBox connected to a 32" though 50" LCD screen can be had for two-third the price you would pay for a top of the line laptop computer.

Not portable. I guess is what they are going on. But playing graphic intensive games on a laptop will really knock that battery life down. The only graphic intensive game I play on my laptop is... Gmail... HAHA! :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 06:32 PM

28,627 posts, read 40,609,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Originally Posted by Jaysie_Marnix
I like Alienware too, now the specs are what I need to decide.

1. Operating Sysyem.

Vista or XP? I've heard Vista has issues until service pack 1, but I want to enjoy this laptop over the xmas weeks, I have 2 weeks vacation coming.

If you are not familiar with Vista, I would advise not getting it on your laptop. If you have a current computer, put Vista on that before you put it on a gaming system.

2. Video Card, single or dual SLI configuration?

I only play World of Warcraft now and some Warcraft 3. I occasionally play nice graphics games like Oblivion. I want to try the latest Counter Strike games.

Is going SLI worth the + $150 extra cost.

Most definitely.

3. For a 17" monitor, what max res is good and comfortable?

1920 x 1200 or 1440 x 900 ?

I personally go for 1440x900 on my laptop

4. RAM: 2GB or 4GB? + $300 difference.

Mine has 4GB. Unless you're doing a lot, you probably wouldn't notice the difference

5. Wireless card.

What's the Draft-N?

It allows you to receive signal from Wireless-N networks. These networks are generally more secure and "bigger" in terms of how far out you can be and still get a signal.

There's the standard a/b/g. Will this be enough to get online while in Starbucks?

The standard card receives and processes the wireless internet that is most common (Wireless-G). Be warned, Starbucks charges for internet usage because it's through another company.

6. Warranties. Anyone have experience in buying 3 year warranties? I can get 1 or 2 years. But I want this laptop to last at least 3 years. Is that 3 year worth it for $300?

3 year warranty.. if you think you'll need it, get it.

Aside from that.. I have a laptop that is not made for gaming, but I use it as such:
Dell Inspiron 1705

It's a 17" that doesn't cost $3k. I suggest doing the "Build Your Own" on the Dell site for that model. Trust me, it's awesome. The inital cost of the laptop with all the extra goodies was only $1800, but I got a discount (my dad used to work for them).
I am in complete agreement with everything said here, including building the 1705. I have a client that always gets the extended warranty and it has paid off for him. That doesn't guarantee it will for you, but it sounds like you're planning on hauling this around (Starbucks comment) and the more you carry it the more chance of dropping it, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Why using a laptop with a small screen to play games? A Play Station 3, or a XBox connected to a 32" though 50" LCD screen can be had for two-third the price you would pay for a top of the line laptop computer.
Because the OP is planning on playing places other than home - Starbucks comment.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:27 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,645,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I am in complete agreement with everything said here, including building the 1705. I have a client that always gets the extended warranty and it has paid off for him. That doesn't guarantee it will for you, but it sounds like you're planning on hauling this around (Starbucks comment) and the more you carry it the more chance of dropping it, etc.

Because the OP is planning on playing places other than home - Starbucks comment.
It's not a "gaming computer" but, IMHO, the "gaming systems" are the same as the rest, just that the base is what you'd get if you use the "build-your-own."

I love my 1705 - in fact, my dad bought one because of how good mine is.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:47 PM

79 posts, read 266,867 times
Merry xmas and Happy bday to me!

Ordered from Alienware:
Genuine Windows® XP Professional
Video/Graphics Card: Dual 512MB NVidia® GeForce™ Go 7950 GTX - SLI Enabled
Chassis: 17" WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 LCD with Clearview Technology - Stealth Black
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7200 2.0GHz 4MB Cache 667MHz FSB
Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 667MHz – 2 x 1024MB
System Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 160GB 7,200RPM (8MB Cache)
Optical Drives : 8x Dual Layer CD-RW/DVD±RW Burner w/ LightScribe Technology - View Demo
Wireless Network Card: Internal Intel® PRO Wireless 3945 a/b/g Mini-Card
Sound Card : Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
Mobile Essentials: Alienware® Odyssey Backpack
Warranty: 3-Year AlienCare Toll-Free 24/7 Phone Support w/ Onsite Service
AlienRespawn: AlienRespawn v1.0 Recovery Kit – Windows XP Edition
Security Software: McAfee® VirusScan Plus – 36-Month Subscription Factory Installed!

Est ship date: Dec 10, 2007. Hopefully they don't mess it up.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:06 PM

79 posts, read 266,867 times
Area-51® m9750

XP Pro . SLI 7950 GTX . 17" WUXGA 1920 x 1200 . ICore™ 2 Duo T7200 . 2GB . 160GB 7200RPM . CD/DVD burner w/ LightScribe . Wireless a/b/g . SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio . Backpack . 3-Yr AlienCare . AlienRespawn v1.0 . McAfee® VirusScan 36-Month Subscription!

Grand Total: ~$3700

Mon 12.03.07 Phase 1. Placed Order

Tue 12.04.07 Phase 1. 3 phone calls, 2 transfer calls, about 30 minutes total to get "verification" done with AW calling the house phone and my wife confirming the order.

Wed 12.05.07 Phase 2.

Thu 12.05.07 Phase 3: (Payment Processed)
Your order has been processed.

Mon 12.10.07 - Phase 3 according to the website.

I called and the AW rep told me the order has been shipped today to California. I should receive email for tracking number within the next 2 days.

When I ordered this last week 12.03.07, the estimated ship date is today 12.10.07!

Mon 12.10.07 Phase 4: (Shipping)
Your order is being carefully packed for shipping.

Mon 12.10.07 Phase 5: (Order Shipped)
Congratulations, the order has been shipped. We only hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoyed building it for you.

FedEx Tracking

Dec 11, 2007
3:46 AM - In transit ORLANDO, FL
12:41 AM - Departed FedEx location POMPANO BEACH, FL

Dec 10, 2007
7:14 PM - Arrived at FedEx location POMPANO BEACH, FL
1:54 PM - Picked up MIAMI, FL
12:25 PM - Package data xmit to FedEx Miami, FL

FedEx update!

Dec 12, 2007
8:59 PM - Arrived at FedEx location CITY OF INDUSTRY, CA

Dec 13, 2007
12:58 AM - Departed FedEx location CITY OF INDUSTRY, CA
5:19 AM - At local FedEx facility CARSON, CA

An Alien has landed in my house... while I'm still at work!

Dec 13, 2007
9:54 AM - On FedEx vehicle for delivery CARSON, CA
12:27 PM - DELIVERED

This 9750 is a nice piece of work. It looks damn look good, and the monitor is distinctly nicer than my old 20" wide Samsung monitors.

I first set the laptop on my black granite counter, wore the goofy Alien hat and got more pictures. A few WinXp setup questions and it was off and running.

It did not detect my home wireless net, so I plugged in a cable from my router. But after I plugged that in, I noticed the wireless icon on the system tray and "View networks" was one of the item, so I was able to connect to my home wireless by entering the WWEP code. But which connection is being used at that time--the wireless or the cable?

After that, I registered the 3-year McAfee virus. I could not find my World of Warcraft CD.

I did find my WarCraft 3 + Frozen Throne so I installed those. I got the BattleNet update and the latest DotA map. I can't play with the touchpad, but I did have an old roller mouse and it's comfortable. I will need to buy another gaming laser mouse.

Things to do:
- Install WoW
- Buy some cable so I can connect my display on my 46" Aquos lcd.
- Try dual monitor display.

p.s. I have the SoundBlaster XFi in its box still. I did not know it was a plug in on the side sound card.

p.s.s. Oh, I have a 36" inch desk with 2x 20" monitors. There was not room to see all 3 putting this 17" laptop. I need to get a wider desk in order to 3-box comfortably when WoW Lich King expansion is release next year.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:20 PM

606 posts, read 545,820 times
Alienware is not good at all, it is poorly designed.

I think Thinkpad would be the best choice. And you can upgrade your CPU,RAM and video cards..things like that.Your laptop will work very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or