U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 06:05 PM

833 posts, read 4,491,210 times

Advertisements

I need a new laptop. I don't need anything fancy...just something that will provide me with microsoft word and other products, internet, etc.
Any suggestions? I don't want to spend more than $900.00
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 06:20 PM

3,359 posts, read 11,025,387 times
Google the name Negroponte and his $200 laptop program. You buy two computers at $400, one for yourself and one for a third world child.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:45 AM

3,098 posts, read 8,405,209 times
Quote:
just something that will provide me with microsoft word and other products, internet, etc
Most of them only give you the trial version of MS Office. You do get something very scaled down but nothing worth using. To be honest, you are better off on that issue going the free route once you buy the computer of downloading Openoffice and using it. It is compatible with MS once you tell it to open all documents and save all documents as .doc documents. You can find it at OpenOffice.org: Home Liz

Old 11-30-2007, 07:25 PM

28,627 posts, read 40,609,166 times
Dell (and I think some others) will still sell you XP instead of Vista if that's a consideration. Check first. Call and ask if you're not sure, this keeps changing and it's not a pleasant surprise if you get Vista and are expecting XP.

If you're used to Word check out the Student Edition of Office and see if it has everything you need. Much less expensive than the full versions, but I don't think you can upgrade the Student version to a newer one... I agree that Open Office is an excellent alternative.

Making a recommendation is hard for laptops. At least it is for me. Here is the overview page on Dell. It should at least give you a base from which to build.

Special Offers (http://tinyurl.com/nss4g - broken link)

Here is the corresponding HP page:

Buy Notebook PCs direct from the HP Home & Home Office Store (http://tinyurl.com/2zhe9g - broken link)

I will tell you this: I recommend and place a lot (25+) of Dell PC's and laptops and have had great success with their products. My laptop is an HP. Go figure.

Edit: I would also recommend going to Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! and looking at laptops there. Most will have user comments and ratings and I have found them to be of great help in deciding on products I purchase there. Newegg is an excellent online store. Ordered tons of stuff, both personal and for clients, never had a problem.

Mods: I have no affiliation with any of these companies.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:18 PM

9,362 posts, read 23,003,714 times
I have an Acer 3610 and haven't liked it since I took it out of its non-returnable box last January. (from Newegg) I miss my Dell!

Screen is too shiny and it has had a lot of kinks.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:12 PM

Yeah, I'm not an Acer fan at all.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:22 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,995,313 times
Toshiba has a nice selection of laptops.

Make sure to shop around. TigerDirect is one of my favorites.

Laptops, Laptop Computers, Notebooks, Notebook Computers, Notebook PC, Cheap Laptops TigerDirect.com

Old 12-01-2007, 07:36 AM

673 posts, read 2,935,222 times
We bought a Toshiba laptop from Best Buy on Black Friday about 5 years ago and now its completely crashing and we're also in the market for a new laptop. I've heard lots of complaints about Vista and that it cant be completely removed from the computer if you chose not to use it. I'm actually thinking we may break down and buy a Mac. Everyone we talked to last night at Best Buy said 5-7 years is normal for a laptop (not sure about that) but I've heard many good things about the Mac.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:32 AM

2,775 posts, read 2,946,805 times
Outside of your price-range (1099.00 unless you qualify for an educational or corporate discount) but superior in every way - buy an Apple MacBook. You'll have a better operating system, more software, faster boot-ups and shut downs, built in backup software, no computer viruses to worry about from the web, longer battery life, lots of bells & whistles, and with iWorks you'll have a word processor that can output MS Word Documents, PDF files, and a few other file types without issue (you'll also have a spreadsheet program easier to use but compatible with Excel, and a presentation program). Long gone are the compatibility issues of trading files with a MS/Windows based machine so that should not be a concern.

I've recently purchased a MacBook "Pro" and have been extremely pleased with it but it is even more out of your price range and you probably don't need the power it has. The MacBook has just received glowing reviews from several PC reviewing organizations... and MacOS is being touted as superior to Vista and XP in every way. As such Apple computers are taking market share quickly on college campuses, via typical consumers, and even small businesses.

In the Laptop world, I've gone the route of trying to be cheap... trust me there's always a major trade off. The best bang for the buck today is the Macbook - that's my two cents. The irony is that I work for a competitor... seriously :-) I'm not just paying lip service to a company as a Mac-obsessed person, I'm speaking from tacit knowledge, real experience.

At least check out the Apple computers (they are a bit more pricey than some of the discount-PC computers available but you get what you pay for)... The Apple Store (U.S.) - Welcome to the Apple Store

Old 12-01-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi_Girl View Post
We bought a Toshiba laptop from Best Buy on Black Friday about 5 years ago and now its completely crashing and we're also in the market for a new laptop. I've heard lots of complaints about Vista and that it cant be completely removed from the computer if you chose not to use it. I'm actually thinking we may break down and buy a Mac. Everyone we talked to last night at Best Buy said 5-7 years is normal for a laptop (not sure about that) but I've heard many good things about the Mac.
1. More info about the crashing, please. What does it do? Reboot on it's own? Lock up? Any blue screens?

2. Do you have a firewall? Run Anti-virus? Which product?

3. Anti-Spyware? Which products?

4. Do you use any programs for downloading music?

5. Do any Instant Messaging?

6. Not a fan of Best Buy advice personally....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or