U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 12:50 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,563,827 times

Advertisements

iv'e been using Norton 360 and no problems. and they have redone there software so it's not a resource hog like mccrappy is and theres no zone alarms earthier. I used avast and avg in the past and they both sucked
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 08:14 PM

3,720 posts, read 4,865,109 times
I've been procrastinating.....I'll renew the Norton subscription.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:12 AM

8,466 posts, read 4,497,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I've always had distrust with Norton and MacAfee. Anything else you'd recommend other than those?
There was a time that I and my daughter both had Norton and we both got viruses on our machines. Have never tried McAfee, but both of the game download sites that I got casual games from~ Big Fish Games and Gamehouse which guarantee their downloads to be virus free,both of them use McAfee.

I used Trend Micro for a few years with no problem and was very impressed when it actually removed a virus and restored a file instead of just quarantining a virus infected file,which all that the anti-virus usually does! Same with Microsoft Security Essentials which was the top-rated Free anti-virus software according to PC Magazine a few years ago when I got my first laptop,and had until this April when support ended for Windows XP,and I am now using Avast,but will probably soon purchase Trend Micro again, since like I said I have only seen Trend Micro and MSE actually clean and restore any virus infected files instead of just the usual quarantine!

Old 07-10-2014, 08:44 PM

2,861 posts, read 1,408,106 times
Norton was installed on my Windows 8 HP desktop so I went with it. First year was 39 or 49, this year it was 79 a little steep. But it has blocked a number of threats.

Previous XP machine, used spybot for many years, its no good anymore. Avast not much better. MSE was the best.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:17 PM

15,540 posts, read 18,106,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
Norton was installed on my Windows 8 HP desktop so I went with it. First year was 39 or 49, this year it was 79 a little steep. But it has blocked a number of threats.

Previous XP machine, used spybot for many years, its no good anymore. Avast not much better. MSE was the best.
I've used Norton 360 protection for several years, without any problems.

Usually a year subscription which will cover 3 machines has cost me around $49.99. This year they automatically charged me from my account, $79.99. I went to the Norton website & saw the Best Deal listed at $49.99
Norton AntiVirus, Norton Internet Security and Norton 360 - Symantec Store

I called their customer service, explained the situation. They reimbursed me $30 to my account, charging me the $49.99 for Norton 360 this year.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:05 PM

21,539 posts, read 24,660,490 times
FWIW: Currently Amazon has the 3PC version for 19.99. But Staples now has a 110% price guarantee dropping the price to 13.99 which can either be done in the stores or phoned in to Staples.com. There are no mail-in rebates to deal with.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:22 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,952,320 times
As a reminder, if you have Xfinity, Norton is available for free to you for up to seven computers.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:25 AM

21,539 posts, read 24,660,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
As a reminder, if you have Xfinity, Norton is available for free to you for up to seven computers.
As a reminder, if you are out of town not connected to the network for an extended time it will not take updates until it can verify if you still subscribe to Comcast (which Xfinity is) .

Old 07-28-2014, 10:46 PM

3,720 posts, read 4,865,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I have Verizon. So I guess it should be good in that regard?

Old 07-28-2014, 10:56 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,952,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
As a reminder, if you are out of town not connected to the network for an extended time it will not take updates until it can verify if you still subscribe to Comcast (which Xfinity is) .
It's always concerning when I see people giving incorrect advice like this. If you're not familiar with the Xfinity Norton offering and computers it's best not to give incorrect advice so people on this forum will not get confused.

When you use the Norton Security Suite offering from Comcast, it authenticates a unique serial # against an account. As long as the account is active (and the computer has not been removed from the account), it will continue to receive updates.

I never connect my tablet to Comcast since it has LTE. It has continued to receive updates for the Xfinity Norton Security Suite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers