Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 12:40 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
How about Ghostery?
I run Ghostery on FF (multiple machines), and as a general rule it works very well, and I don't have to worry about messing with it. .

Occasionally a site will act weird, and I'll have to disable it temporarily. For instance updating to the latest Flash Player wouldn't work (would just end up on a generic Adobe page) without temporarily disabling Ghostery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 12:48 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
DoNotTrackMe seems to do the same thing, hasn't given me any issues in Chrome.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:37 AM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Since I use FF 99% of the time (even at work), this is what I narrowed my list down to:

I also like Ghostery but haven't really installed it since the last re-image and don't feel I really need it.
NoScript eliminated bulk of the threats with the huge help of Adblock Plus, which is a must-have, imho.
WOT helps give you a heads up about sites and links (that comes up when you do a search) that point to sites that have a bad reputation which could be due to site harboring malware or due to the business on that site having a bad reputation. Either way, it is a useful "heads-up" and if the site is really bad, it gives you a warning and allows you to bail before even opening/loading the site.

I also added a few suggested settings for NoScript to minimize blocking of presumably desired pages/content as well as the add-ons own update notification page that opens up every time there is/was an update which can get annoying.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:40 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I also like Ghostery but haven't really installed it since the last re-image and don't feel I really need it. NoScript eliminated bulk of the threats with the huge help of Adblock Plus, which is a must-have, imho. WOT helps give you a heads up about sites and links (that comes up when you do a search) that point to sites that have a bad reputation which could be due to site harboring malware or due to the business on that site having a bad reputation. Either way, it is a useful "heads-up" and if the site is really bad, it gives you a warning and allows you to bail before even opening/loading the site.

I also added a few suggested settings for NoScript to minimize blocking of presumably desired pages/content as well as the add-ons own update notification page that opens up every time there is/was an update which can get annoying.
Please correct me if I am wrong but with NoScript installed, wouldn't that make having Ghostery a bit redundant since they're very similar? Or would one work and not the other if both installed?

Old 02-16-2014, 02:42 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
How about Ghostery?
not a bad idea, but I don't really care if my browsing activity is tracked. I block ads, so I'm willing to give back to these websites by letting them install tracking cookies. They don't really affect my quality of web surfing and can even improve it with targetted ads (assuming I could see the ads, which I cannot )

My browsing activity is nothing the NSA will care about... various forums basically wasting time, and if I'm really productive I'll actually be doing something useful like researching stocks or crypto currencies or numismatic collecting, or whatever. In reality the internet is more an addiction I'd be better off without even if I managed to make considerable money through it's use.

I still can't get myself to use chrome on a regular basis, and prefer firefox. I don't see the speed in chrome that others do, perhaps because my desktops are both relatively powerful sandy bridge hardware with large amounts of RAM...

Old 02-16-2014, 02:45 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
surprised that no one mentioned microsoft essentials.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:26 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
They don't really affect my quality of web surfing and can even improve it with targetted ads (assuming I could see the ads, which I cannot )
This is the only thing I'll disagree with. ... On many pages there is a noticeable difference in performance with Ghostery turned on.

On sites that only use one or two trackers it's not so bad, but 7 - 10 + seems to be the norm.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:51 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,787,483 times
I believe that the reason no one mentioned Microsoft Essentials is because it doesn't work on Windows 8. At least that's what I found when trying to load it onto 8.1 . Hopefully someone here can possibly explain why or when it might be available for Windows 8???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
surprised that no one mentioned microsoft essentials.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:34 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,189 times
Windows Defender in Windows 8 = MS Security Essentials in Windows 7 and it is already built into the OS. All you need to do is turn it on. Not the best AV protection available, but ok to use if you know your way around the web and don't engage in risky behavior.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:37 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
It's on by default, only turns off if you turn it off or install a different AV app.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers