U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-31-2014, 12:33 AM
 
Location: 10110001010110100
6,385 posts, read 10,845,236 times
Reputation: 5589

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
SEP? Nevermind. I probably don't need to know. Someone told me Windows 7 would not work properly without it and that was why it could not be removed and should not be disabled. I didn't understand how so many could be disabling it and doing just fine - because I didn't realize you all were talking about Windows 8.

Life goes on. I think maybe I should top thinking about thinking.
No, I was not referring to Windows 8, not sure where you got that from?

Anyhow, SEP is short for Symantec Endpoint Protection, it is an enterprise level product, a souped up version of Symantec's Internet Security for consumers. It is a real-time scanner much like Windows Defender and I am sure you are aware of the fact that you should not have 2 real-time scanners running on the same computer at the same time. Best case scenario, they will impede each others work and slow down the machine as we have experienced on our production machines. The situation might be different with other virus scanners but I would not recommend it.

Whatever application you decide to use is fine but having 2 real-time scanners is one scanner too many.

As NHDave mentioned, Windows Defender is a service based process so simply browsing the Services Control Panel and disabling the related service will disable Windows Defender as well. You can also stop the service but I suggest you simply change its Startup Type to disabled then reboot the computer:
1. Click START (button) then right-click Computer and select Manage
2. When the "Computer Management" window opens, expand Services and Applications
3. Click on Services
4. Scroll down and locate Windows Defender and double-click on it
5. Change the drop-down next to Startup type to Disabled
6. Click OK and restart the computer




Now, you have successfully disabled Windows Defender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-31-2014, 05:22 AM
 
2,714 posts, read 3,003,760 times
Reputation: 1230
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
No, I was not referring to Windows 8, not sure where you got that from?

Anyhow, SEP is short for Symantec Endpoint Protection, it is an enterprise level product, a souped up version of Symantec's Internet Security for consumers. It is a real-time scanner much like Windows Defender and I am sure you are aware of the fact that you should not have 2 real-time scanners running on the same computer at the same time. Best case scenario, they will impede each others work and slow down the machine as we have experienced on our production machines. The situation might be different with other virus scanners but I would not recommend it.

Whatever application you decide to use is fine but having 2 real-time scanners is one scanner too many.

As NHDave mentioned, Windows Defender is a service based process so simply browsing the Services Control Panel and disabling the related service will disable Windows Defender as well. You can also stop the service but I suggest you simply change its Startup Type to disabled then reboot the computer:
1. Click START (button) then right-click Computer and select Manage
2. When the "Computer Management" window opens, expand Services and Applications
3. Click on Services
4. Scroll down and locate Windows Defender and double-click on it
5. Change the drop-down next to Startup type to Disabled
6. Click OK and restart the computer




Now, you have successfully disabled Windows Defender.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2014, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Not.here
2,828 posts, read 3,672,708 times
Reputation: 2355
If you run CCleaner, it's very easy.

1. Click on Tools.

2. Click on Startup

3. Click on Windows Defender to highlight it.

4. Click on Disable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2014, 10:14 AM
 
2,714 posts, read 3,003,760 times
Reputation: 1230
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
If you run CCleaner, it's very easy.

1. Click on Tools.

2. Click on Startup

3. Click on Windows Defender to highlight it.

4. Click on Disable.
Now, there are some nice, simple instructions that even I can follow. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2014, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Not.here
2,828 posts, read 3,672,708 times
Reputation: 2355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Now, there are some nice, simple instructions that even I can follow. Thanks.
You're welcome Hazel W.

I try to check out that tool (Startup) on CCleaner periodically just to make sure nothing unwanted has crept up in there to slow things down.

In the two desktops here, the only thing I have running (enabled) in the Startup is the anti-virus (MSE) and Windows Defender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2014, 03:03 PM
 
Location: 10110001010110100
6,385 posts, read 10,845,236 times
Reputation: 5589
Very good Nezlie, really simple instructions, much easier than mine.
That said, I don't believe that will stop or disable Windows Defender.

Have you actually check your Services to see if it indeed disabled Windows Defender after removing it from the "Startup" list?

Service based processes typically are not disabled by merely removing their related (registry) startup entry.
The service still runs thus keeping the application still active. I could be wrong but check it for yourself.

The best way to disable a service based application is to stop and disable its service entry plus any related startup and/or scheduled task entries it might have in the registry.

On this system, CCleaner clearly shows there is no (registry) startup for Windows Defender, however Autoruns confirms that the related service is still enabled and running along with a related scheduled task:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2014, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Not.here
2,828 posts, read 3,672,708 times
Reputation: 2355
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Very good Nezlie, really simple instructions, much easier than mine.
That said, I don't believe that will stop or disable Windows Defender.

Have you actually check your Services to see if it indeed disabled Windows Defender after removing it from the "Startup" list?

Service based processes typically are not disabled by merely removing their related (registry) startup entry.
The service still runs thus keeping the application still active. I could be wrong but check it for yourself.

The best way to disable a service based application is to stop and disable its service entry plus any related startup and/or scheduled task entries it might have in the registry.

On this system, CCleaner clearly shows there is no (registry) startup for Windows Defender, however Autoruns confirms that the related service is still enabled and running along with a related scheduled task:
TL, here's what I just did.

1. disabled Windows defender in CCleaner.

2. restarted the desktop.

3. did Start>All Programs> Windows Defender

4. Got the message........... "Windows defender is turned off"

p.s. I was just reading on a Microsoft questions/answers site that if you have MSE (which I do), it has defender built into it. They said that AVG also has a defender built in. So in either case Windows Defender will get shut down.

Last edited by nezlie; 01-31-2014 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: follow-up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2014, 06:58 PM
 
Location: 10110001010110100
6,385 posts, read 10,845,236 times
Reputation: 5589
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
TL, here's what I just did.

1. disabled Windows defender in CCleaner.

2. restarted the desktop.

3. did Start>All Programs> Windows Defender

4. Got the message........... "Windows defender is turned off"

p.s. I was just reading on a Microsoft questions/answers site that if you have MSE (which I do), it has defender built into it. They said that AVG also has a defender built in. So in either case Windows Defender will get shut down.
Thanks for the follow-up and it is always better to offer multiple ways to readers so they have more options to try.

Anyhow, I wasn't saying your method is wrong and apparently it indeed did disable it on your system.
If it works for others as well, then great. On my test machine, for some reason, it didn't.

Also, I do recall seeing machines with MSE or other AV scanners installed where Windows Defender was still running and bogging down the system significantly. They didn't seem to automatically disable Defender, some might but not all do or perhaps a fluke. Either way, it is something worth checking manually.

As complicated as my instructions may seem to some, it will work in every case. That said, not sure if this is even something that every user would want to or need to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2014, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Not.here
2,828 posts, read 3,672,708 times
Reputation: 2355
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Anyhow, I wasn't saying your method is wrong and apparently it indeed did disable it on your system.
On further review, I have a feeling now that CCleaner is not what disabled my Windows Defender (turned it off). I think it's been disabled for quite awhile now, going back to when I installed Microsoft Security Essentials, and it was MSE that turned it off, just like the following document says....


Quote:
A reader recently asked us if she needed Windows Defender, antispyware software from Microsoft that comes with Windows Vista and Windows 7, if she had downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials (free antivirus and antispyware software).

If you use Microsoft Security Essentials, you don't need Windows Defender. When you download Microsoft Security Essentials, it will turn off (but not uninstall) Windows Defender automatically. It does this so that you don't have two programs on your computer that are doing the same thing. If you ever decided to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Defender will be turned back on again.

Microsoft Security Essentials vs. Windows Defender - Security Tips & Talk - Site Home - MSDN Blogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:32 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top