U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2014, 12:30 PM

47 posts, read 68,367 times

Advertisements

I have a Toshiba laptop that's about 4 years old. It has enough power to do what I need it to do (photo editing, web surfing, Quicken, remoting into my work computer), but the screen doesn't work anymore. So it's essentially been turned into a desktop b/c I have to use an external monitor with it. Since I'm not a computer geek, I will need to take the laptop to someone to get the screen fixed. Or do I just not bother b/c the thing is 4 years old and get a new laptop? If I do get a new one, what specs should I look for given my usage? If I go new, should I get Windows 7 instead of 8? My Mom has 8 on her laptop and I don't really like it - but I'm sure I'd get used to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 12:48 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,776,401 times
Well, replacing the screen would be the least expensive way to go. You can order the part and do it yourself.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:08 PM

113 posts, read 504,018 times
At four years old you need to ask yourself what might break next, the battery? the harddrive? My laptop is a Dell and four years old as well and still works great, but I do plan to upgrade and the only thing keeping my from upgrading already is because of windows 8. I hate hate hate windows 8, and hope they get there act together with 8.1 or 9 or whatever they do next. I have a laptop, I do NOT want the touch feature, that is why I have an iphone, and ipad, with my laptop I do not want the touch features, and apps and all that kind of stuff. But I would not spend the money on fixing it, and just replace. But that is me personally.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:21 PM

13,325 posts, read 20,374,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicare View Post
At four years old you need to ask yourself what might break next, the battery? the harddrive?
Why do they need to ask that? It's not a car. The likelihood something else will break soon is low. I'm still using a Dell that is 8 years old. The last time anything broke was 5 or 6 years ago.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:31 PM

lol, I might as well replace everything I own since they're > 4 years old!

Old 02-02-2014, 05:52 AM

4,448 posts, read 5,450,646 times
If you don't want to take of a bunch of screws to replace the screen , you might be be able to get a used one like yours on ebay for under $200 and move your hard drive with just a couple of screws. Just YouTube replace hard drive on your model.

How is your battery life on a four year old laptop.

I'd stick to windows 7 if possible.

Based you your few application you can get away with a $400 laptop.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
If you don't want to take of a bunch of screws to replace the screen , you might be be able to get a used one like yours on ebay for under $200 and move your hard drive with just a couple of screws. Just YouTube replace hard drive on your model.

How is your battery life on a four year old laptop.

I'd stick to windows 7 if possible.

Based you your few application you can get away with a $400 laptop.
Since OP is using it as a desktop, I don't think battery life is high on the priority list.
IMO, you either replace the part or buy a new one. Buying a used computer from a stranger is simply not a good value proposition.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:59 PM

1,759 posts, read 3,241,108 times
irisvista.com shows how to take apart various Toshiba laptops. Usually you can find a YouTube or 2 as well. A replacement screen doesn't cost much.

I use no-name batteries in my Toshibas. I upgraded 6 cell to 12 cell or at least 9 cell and it only costs $25-$35 for the bigger battery.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:51 AM

4,448 posts, read 5,450,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Since OP is using it as a desktop, I don't think battery life is high on the priority list.
IMO, you either replace the part or buy a new one. Buying a used computer from a stranger is simply not a good value proposition.
I was basically getting to just buy a new laptop for $400. Between the screen and possibly poor battery life, for a few hundred more, they can get a new laptop with a new battery and possibly use it as an actual battery powered laptop as opposed to alway plug it in.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:28 AM

16,410 posts, read 26,675,718 times
I bought a 100 dollar laptop on ebay, single core AMD Athlon TF-20 and installed Slackware. Runs as smooth as any i7 core on Windows 8

I put slackware on my dad's Toshiba Satellite with a Celeron M processor, 1.5GB RAM.. he got it in ~07. It's running like a champ now.

If you have some extra time, try out Linux... might be your saving grace and you can get away from Windows.

You can buy new parts on ebay really cheap if you want.. although you can get a brand new laptop with no O/S for less than 150 dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or