U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2014, 09:54 AM

8,081 posts, read 11,888,067 times

Advertisements

I just use FF or IE for a browser. At work we have Microsoft and lots of tech support. At home I have an HP with Windows 8 (which I absolutely hate. ) I do subscribe to HBO.

I've heard of Chrome but never have really understood what it was. I thought it was just a different sort of browser, like IE or FF. But I've also seen it referred to as an operating system?

I've been trying to figure out how to watch HBO GO on my TV and there are articles that mention both some sort of little "dongle"(?) called a ChromeCast and then there is this

"Google and HBO have announced that you can now stream content from HBO Go to a Chromecast device. Just fire up the HBO Go app on your Android or iOS device, or in a Chrome web browser on your PC and you can send videos to your TV using one of Google’s $35 wireless dongles.

So do I need a Chromecast dongle or can I use my PC? No other article that I can find mentions using a web browser to stream HBO GO. The above is a little confusing but I think its saying I can use my PC or a different Android device but either way still have to buy a Chromecast. is that right?

With my current HDTV I can use the TV remote "Internet" and will get choices of Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, you tube and 1 other thing. My tv does have limited ports. And if I but the chromecast dongle all I have is a smart phone, a Galaxy note 2 which doesn't seem to have a port thingy, but my PC doesj - but it is in a totally different room, 30 feet away from my TV (I do have wifi).

As a side rant I pay for HBO and sort of resent that I have to pay to buy yet another device (Chromecast, ROKU etc) to get HBO Go, but I think thats more about the cable companies not allowing access to all HBO content than it is HBO. For example, my sister has COMCAST and can watch a lot more on demand type HBO programming than I can on Time Warner Cable just because. We both have essentially the same HBO subscription.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 10:18 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,126,599 times
If you watch over the internet HBO GO is available as long as you are subscribed to HBO.
To watch on my TV, I have Roku 3 which I love! I tried the Chromecast but my computer is too far from my TV and I would have to keep coming to computer every time I wanted to change something.
ATT doesn't keep much on demand either.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:38 AM

Thanks for taking the time to reply but not sure that answers my question. I have Time warner Cable, am subscribed to HBO, I have wifi. I do not have a Roku. Not sure what you mean by "internet". I use the button labled internet on my TV remote to see the selections of Netflix, etc. but Hbo Go is not a selection. I don't know that the internet button is really the internet

Old 02-01-2014, 03:32 PM

3,544 posts, read 5,676,746 times
Chrome is the base name for a number of different products from Google.

Chrome is a browser for PCs and Android phones (like you said, just a competitor to Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc).

Chrome OS is an operating system built around the Chrome browser for very light weight computers (it just boots into Chrome, and only provides access to the web or apps installed within Chrome).

the Chromecast is a tiny hardware device that plugs into the back of your TV (directly into an HDMI port), and you can "cast" video from certain apps on a PC, phone, or tablet to the TV via the Chromecast.

Imagine it as a sort of wireless way to get some content from your device to your TV. It can't cast everything, only content that Google has designed it to handle. For the PC, they seem to only support Chrome.

Chromecast

So .... back to the HBO Go question .... To use your PC (for this solution), you need to install the Chrome browser, and have a Chromecast ... The Chromecast is plugged into the TV (and connected to your wireless network), and you open the HBO Go website in the Chrome Browser on your PC, and you can send that screen to the Chromecast.

You can also use the HBO Go app on your Android, and send it to the TV via the Chromecast.

Ultimately you need some way to get the signal to the TV. Unfortunately most Smart TVs don't really have that many of the different services available on them, and it's hard for developers to support every different TV made, so you have to add something else. At $35, the Chromecast is a pretty good deal, but it's pretty limited compared to some of the other devices like a Roku, or Apple TV.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:39 PM

Thank you so much SK, very helpful. My only other question is whether the Chromecast is likely to work with the PC in another room? I had a old ROKU on my old tube tv but gave it to the goodwill when I got my new TV.
I tend to get frustrated with all the technology, price isn't as much an issue as ease of set-up, use, and it being relatively maintenance free.
I really don't need any extra content but I wonder if a ROKU wouldnt be easier? No dealing with a browser and 'casting' nonsense.

Neither of these will change my ability to use my TV remote and just hit the netflix button right on it? Or the internet button and go direct to amazon prime? How do you 'switch' to ROKU?

Last edited by Giesela; 02-01-2014 at 04:50 PM..

Old 02-01-2014, 06:15 PM

3,544 posts, read 5,676,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Thank you so much SK, very helpful. My only other question is whether the Chromecast is likely to work with the PC in another room? I had a old ROKU on my old tube tv but gave it to the goodwill when I got my new TV.
I tend to get frustrated with all the technology, price isn't as much an issue as ease of set-up, use, and it being relatively maintenance free.
I really don't need any extra content but I wonder if a ROKU wouldnt be easier? No dealing with a browser and 'casting' nonsense.

Neither of these will change my ability to use my TV remote and just hit the netflix button right on it? Or the internet button and go direct to amazon prime? How do you 'switch' to ROKU?

I would think that it wouldn't work very well from another room, since all of the control has to happen from the PC. If you did a Chromecast, I'd think that using an Android phone or tablet would be far better, since you have to use something else to control the Chromecast (it doesn't have a remote).

Neither the Chromecast, or a Roku will interfere with the current TV operation, but you might find the experience on Roku to be a bit nicer (the general consensus is that the same services on the Roku are a bit more polished and tend to work better than on smart TVs). We have multiple Rokus and use Netflix, Prime instant, Hulu, etc on them daily, and they are very nice devices.

Just like any other device (DVD or Blu-Ray player, etc) the Roku or Chromecast will be in a different HDMI port than the cable box is, so you'll have to change inputs. Usually there's an "Input" or "Source" button on the TV remote that switches between each available input.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:20 PM

13,306 posts, read 20,356,455 times
You don't have to use a Chromecast to do this. It's just a way to do it wirelessly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers