U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-01-2014, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Danbury, CT
186 posts, read 262,466 times
Reputation: 49

Advertisements

My computer comes with 10 million different files from the manufacturer. They are:
Book Place
Music Place
Backup and Restore
Disk Creator
Bulletin Board
Hardware Setup
Health Monitor
App Store
Assist
Eco Utility
HDD Alert
Face Recognition
Quality Application
Resolution
and many more...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-01-2014, 03:22 PM
 
10,752 posts, read 17,997,204 times
Reputation: 10244
Ahh Toshiba, they do load their computers with tons of bloatware and crap. Google what each one does, and remove it if you don't need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2014, 04:01 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,892 posts, read 33,621,908 times
Reputation: 13827
Buy a fresh copy of Windows and install it over top of the contents of the hard drive - after backing up your important files and settings, of course!

Honestly, hard drive space is so cheap nowadays that manufacturer bloatware probably consumes less than 1% of the total. It might not be worth the effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2014, 05:17 PM
 
10,752 posts, read 17,997,204 times
Reputation: 10244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Buy a fresh copy of Windows and install it over top of the contents of the hard drive - after backing up your important files and settings, of course!

Honestly, hard drive space is so cheap nowadays that manufacturer bloatware probably consumes less than 1% of the total. It might not be worth the effort.
How does spending money unnecessarily help?

It's not just the drive space, it's the resources consumed by them running in the background. Uninstallation is a far better solution than buying a new copy of Windows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2014, 06:19 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,892 posts, read 33,621,908 times
Reputation: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
How does spending money unnecessarily help?

It's not just the drive space, it's the resources consumed by them running in the background. Uninstallation is a far better solution than buying a new copy of Windows.
Reinstalling Windows is an easy way for a non-technical person to purge a PC of non-essential cruft. Uninstalling apps doesn't always clear registry entries or remove every trace of the app from the hard drive. Installing Windows from scratch ensures that there will be no trace whatsoever of unwanted third-party applications. You can't say that so definitively of the solution of uninstalling software. In an ideal world, uninstalling would be complete. We don't live an ideal world, we live in Microsoft's imperfect one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2014, 07:50 PM
 
10,752 posts, read 17,997,204 times
Reputation: 10244
That non technical person you speak of has no clue how to do a clean Windows install, and most have no desire to learn, we'll have to agree to disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2014, 05:27 AM
 
2,709 posts, read 3,001,518 times
Reputation: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
That non technical person you speak of has no clue how to do a clean Windows install, and most have no desire to learn, we'll have to agree to disagree.
So very true! That's what we pay the experts to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2014, 06:08 AM
 
Location: Southern California
4,448 posts, read 5,445,682 times
Reputation: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by theguyfrompluto View Post
My computer comes with 10 million different files from the manufacturer. They are:
Book Place
Music Place
Backup and Restore
Disk Creator
Bulletin Board
Hardware Setup
Health Monitor
App Store
Assist
Eco Utility
HDD Alert
Face Recognition
Quality Application
Resolution
and many more...
Do you log in using face recognition?
Is the disc creator used for creating repair disk?
If don't recommend non technical reinstall an OS on a laptop. They don't know what essential software and driver to put back on, especially since a manufacturer might list multiple wifi adapter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2014, 06:14 AM
 
Location: Southern California
4,448 posts, read 5,445,682 times
Reputation: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Ahh Toshiba, they do load their computers with tons of bloatware and crap. Google what each one does, and remove it if you don't need it.
Toshiba?
I'm pretty sure it is a Dell. Who isn't putting extra software on their consumer line. If you don't want the the extra software, buy the business line for a couple of hundred dollars more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2014, 06:21 AM
 
10,752 posts, read 17,997,204 times
Reputation: 10244
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Toshiba?
I'm pretty sure it is a Dell.
You would be wrong, but that's not really relevant to the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:41 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top