Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2014, 04:16 PM

4 posts, read 25,001 times

Advertisements

I have a seagate goflex external hard drive that I bought over a year ago. Its USB powered and its worked perfectly fine until today. I plugged it in to my computer and the power light came on but not right away. And my computer isn't detecting it at all. I've done the troubleshooting that was recommended as well rebooting my computer, looked for it in device management and all that stuff. And I installed seagate drive software to detect the device and still nothing. It also doesn't get detected when I hook up to different computers. Do I just take it in to get it looked at and fixed? I have a ton of files on it that I don't want to lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 07:22 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,967,175 times
Hate to say it but Seagate externals are notorious for failures. My advice is to get a new hard drive, one that is not Seagate. One thing you might want to try, and yes, it is going to sound completely stupid, turn the hard drive upside down while it is plugged in. I can not guarantee this will work for you, but it did for me, at least enough to pull my information off the drive. Don't ask me how it worked, I have no idea. I was having issues with my Seagate external and looking for solutions when this one popped up, I had a laugh, stared at my external, shook my head and said, "nah... impossible," then shrugged and tried it. It worked like nothing was wrong with the hard drive at all. How stable it actually was I have no idea, but it worked well enough for me to pull the information off so I didn't lose it.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:15 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Could be a couple issues. The drive itself could be bad, or the electronics for the USB interface may have failed, I'm assuming you tried a different USB cable?

Either way, you have discovered why you should NEVER have important data on only one device. Anything of importance should exist in 2 or more places.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:03 AM

4 posts, read 25,001 times
I tried different computers and different USB cords. I've used it to move data and files from an old notebook to another when it stopped working. So it's not just used as the sole and only back up drive. Problem is I didn't get to move everything over.

Flippin seagate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers