U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 05:51 PM

194 posts, read 304,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is an awful description of what happened because it implies that he [Bill] had difficulty using Windows 8.1. If you were on the MSFT call on Friday, he detailed what happened. The Windows 8.1 update to Windows 8 failed and put the computer in a state of constantly rebooting. However, had been using Windows 8 just fine prior to that and happily [according to his AMA last year].

Since that computer was shot, they gave him another computer to use that happened to have Windows 7 on it. He expects to have a working Windows 8.1 computer this week.

NJ, do you work for MS? I normally agree with your posts, but you seemingly are really defending Gates and W8. It is no secret that from the unbiased media( in this case) that W8 is a real loser. From personal experience, a 2 yr. old could have designed a more user friendly OS than 8. Quite frankly, I hope "MR" Gates will continually have problems operating his own "baby". When I think of the countless hours of users not being productive as well as the money spent in purchasing this W8 garbage, it makes me physically sick.

So, please, hopefully "Mr. Gates " will continue to have problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 05:59 PM

2,791 posts, read 3,435,603 times
Quote:
Windows 7 does have a learning curve when coming from Windows XP.
I will be the first to disagree with this statement. When I first upgraded from XP to 7, it was like I was right at home. It was a seamless transition. The only thing I did was change a couple things to classic view and bam.....right at home.

Windows 8, on the other hand,.....not so much. lol The first time I used a machine running 8, I said "what the hell is this bs?" I have tried using it a number of times since and still hate it. Everybody says, "If you put Start8 or Classic shell on it, it will be like XP/windows 7." Well how about I just use windows 7 instead of subjecting myself to the aggravation.

I still had a machine running XP that I used for business up until the end of last year when I migrated my accounting over to a new machine running 7. I can bounce back and forth between my XP and 7 machines with very little noticeable difference.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:20 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,971,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louise50 View Post
NJ, do you work for MS? I normally agree with your posts, but you seemingly are really defending Gates and W8. It is no secret that from the unbiased media( in this case) that W8 is a real loser. From personal experience, a 2 yr. old could have designed a more user friendly OS than 8. Quite frankly, I hope "MR" Gates will continually have problems operating his own "baby". When I think of the countless hours of users not being productive as well as the money spent in purchasing this W8 garbage, it makes me physically sick.

So, please, hopefully "Mr. Gates " will continue to have problems.
No, I don't work for MS. I've spoken on CD in a countless number of threads on how W8 is full mistakes and how the new UI was really half-baked.

But you were referring to a specific blog in the New Yorker in regards to a specific instance where Bill Gates had an issue installing the Windows 8.1 upgrade. Your description of the article implied something different than what happened.

I have to question your statements about a 2 year old being able to designed a better OS, or in this particular case, a better upgrade process. OS upgrades are fairly complex. Even the Mavericks upgrade process leaves much to be desired.

I have a different view about the future of Windows than you do. While you hope that Bill Gates and Microsoft continue to struggle with their OS, I hope that they are able to improve it and release something innovative and useful.

What's up with the Bold, Underlined, Red, Arial text?

Old 02-09-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I will be the first to disagree with this statement. When I first upgraded from XP to 7, it was like I was right at home. It was a seamless transition. The only thing I did was change a couple things to classic view and bam.....right at home.

Windows 8, on the other hand,.....not so much. lol The first time I used a machine running 8, I said "what the hell is this bs?" I have tried using it a number of times since and still hate it. Everybody says, "If you put Start8 or Classic shell on it, it will be like XP/windows 7." Well how about I just use windows 7 instead of subjecting myself to the aggravation.

I still had a machine running XP that I used for business up until the end of last year when I migrated my accounting over to a new machine running 7. I can bounce back and forth between my XP and 7 machines with very little noticeable difference.
How did you know about being able to switch between classic view and the windows 7 view if you didn't have to learn about it?

So you're saying that there is no learning curve between XP to 7/8/8.1 because because you can just make everything run in classic mode (or in the case of 8/8.1 just install classic shell). Those are both things that don't exist in Windows XP, thus, resulting in learning.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:30 PM

14,385 posts, read 21,063,143 times
I have used both 7 and 8/8.1

Old 02-09-2014, 06:34 PM

2,621 posts, read 3,015,943 times
I would pick Windows 7 over Win 8.1. I dislike using 8 very much, it is so different and a pain to learn.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:25 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,388,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Agreed.

Windows 8.1, with the interface you prefer.
The Windows 8.1 interface is identical to the Windows 8 one, with the exception of being to use the same wallpaper as your desktop. You still don't have a start button.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
The Windows 8.1 interface is identical to the Windows 8 one, with the exception of being to use the same wallpaper as your desktop. You still don't have a start button.
Not true. You have a start button in Windows 8.1 .

Old 02-09-2014, 09:29 PM

2,791 posts, read 3,435,603 times
Quote:
How did you know about being able to switch between classic view and the windows 7 view if you didn't have to learn about it?
It was exactly the same as switching between XP view and classic view in XP. I made essentially the same change every time I booted a new XP machine up for the first time. It took me all of 10 seconds to do it the very first time I ever booted up in Windows 7......no learning needed. I looked, there it was, I clicked......done. I didn't have to do it, Windows 7 was intuitive from the get go, I just preferred the look of classic view so I chose it.

That is the difference between going from XP to 7 vs. going from one of those to Windows 8. Windows 8 is a hot mess that looks like it was designed by some disorganized "hipster" who still lives in mom's basement. He doesn't realize people actually use computers to get work done.....not obsessively check facebook and twitter.

Quote:
So you're saying that there is no learning curve between XP to 7/8/8.1 because because you can just make everything run in classic mode (or in the case of 8/8.1 just install classic shell). Those are both things that don't exist in Windows XP, thus, resulting in learning.
That is exactly what I am saying. I didn't have to learn anything at all to get on Windows 7 and get to work doing what I needed to do. Now, there were some minute differences here and there that you find along the way but usually down the road while setting up a new application or hardware. One that comes to mind is setting up a homegroup network. It was improved in Windows 7 and is a bit different but is completely unnecessary as far as sitting down and getting to work.

Windows 8 on the other hand, as I mentioned, is a mess. Most people have to scratch their heads to even get on the internet and then there is trying to find a program and run it. Don't even mention trying to run multiple applications at the same time and trying to switch between them.....what a nightmare. I could go on and on. Talk about a learning curve......it is like somebody brought you a new bicycle but to ride it you have to learn to ride all over again because it peddles backwards and the handlebars turn the wheel the opposite direction.

I have to ask, did you really have a problem going from XP to 7 and had so much trouble you had to study and learn how to use as OS all over again?

It is really irrelavant at this point though because the Windows 8/Metro UI is about to finally die and just be a page in history.

Last edited by dijkstra; 02-09-2014 at 10:02 PM..

Old 02-10-2014, 03:35 AM

15,924 posts, read 17,652,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
It is really irrelavant at this point though because the Windows 8/Metro UI is about to finally die and just be a page in history.
Amen to the above......

No matter what the die-hard Microsoft lovers here say one can't ignore the glaring fact that Windows 8 is a failure...

Why Enterprise Is Avoiding Windows 8
Why Enterprise Is Avoiding Windows 8 - Forbes

Toshiba: 99 percent of our business sales are Windows 7
Toshiba: 99 percent of our business sales are Windows 7 | ZDNet

Windows 9 coming in 2015, will try its hardest to distance itself from the Windows 8 train wreck
Windows 9 coming in 2015, will try its hardest to distance itself from the Windows 8 train wreck | ExtremeTech
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or