U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-30-2007, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Boca Raton
9,342 posts, read 16,000,153 times
Reputation: 9029
Default Laptop losing wireless connection

My laptop keeps losing the wireless connection every five minutes or so while I am online. It is set as a secured connection.

We have a desktop that is configured the same way and there is no problem. I have even brought my laptop to the desk where my other computer is, thinking it could be the distance from the equipment, but it continues to happen.

It shows that it is set to connect automatically, but I am having to continuously reconect. I've run a virus scan and have no problem.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-30-2007, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Tejas
6,884 posts, read 10,398,121 times
Reputation: 4221
Try removing the card and rebooting and have it reinstall itself.
I had a similar problem and had to get the card replaced though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2007, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Jax
8,204 posts, read 23,288,839 times
Reputation: 3171
If the connection is just not there (no signal), then I would do as Brian suggests.

This happens to me sometimes after a storm passes through. What works for me is to unplug everything from my router, wait 3 or 4 minutes, and then plug it all back in......works every time .

I did have a faulty router once though. It worked perfectly for a year, and then suddenly my connection was getting slower and slower and the distance and strength of the signal was dying. Sure enough, it was the router itself and the only solution was to replace the router. Once the router was replaced, problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2007, 05:52 PM
 
18,957 posts, read 21,379,460 times
Reputation: 26511
1. I understand correctly - desktop is also a wireless connection?

2. Have you checked that you are actually connecting to your wireless and not the neighbors?

3. How strong is the signal? If you go to the Internet Connections/Wireless Connections the list will show all available and the signal strength. Is yours 4 or 5? Is yours the one in the list set to connect auto, or is it another? Not that I've ever been through this...

Edit - anything between you and the wireless router? Stereo equipment, big screen TV, microwave? Steel framed wall(s)? Do you live in a stucco house?

Rotate the antenna on the router. Try to place it perpendicular to the location of the laptop. Mine is upstairs and works much better when the antenna is parallel to the floor, which is, in effect, perpendicular to my built-in wireless in the laptop..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2007, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Boca Raton
9,342 posts, read 16,000,153 times
Reputation: 9029
1- yes, both on same router
2- both connected to my wireless
3- signal, excellent

4 (edit)- I thought that may be what was wrong, so moved it to the competer desk and no change.

Where would the wirless card in my laptop be located? It's inside somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
1. I understand correctly - desktop is also a wireless connection?

2. Have you checked that you are actually connecting to your wireless and not the neighbors?

3. How strong is the signal? If you go to the Internet Connections/Wireless Connections the list will show all available and the signal strength. Is yours 4 or 5? Is yours the one in the list set to connect auto, or is it another? Not that I've ever been through this...

Edit - anything between you and the wireless router? Stereo equipment, big screen TV, microwave? Steel framed wall(s)? Do you live in a stucco house?

Rotate the antenna on the router. Try to place it perpendicular to the location of the laptop. Mine is upstairs and works much better when the antenna is parallel to the floor, which is, in effect, perpendicular to my built-in wireless in the laptop..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2007, 08:24 PM
 
18,957 posts, read 21,379,460 times
Reputation: 26511
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
1- yes, both on same router
2- both connected to my wireless
3- signal, excellent

4 (edit)- I thought that may be what was wrong, so moved it to the competer desk and no change.

Where would the wirless card in my laptop be located? It's inside somewhere.
Card is likely parallel to the laptop itself. Same orientation it would have if it was inserted in the slot on the side. Or the same as a CD would be.

You checked for viruses, how about Spyware, etc?

Firewall installed? If yes, is the Windows firewall disabled?

Any pop-ups?

XP, not Vista?

Wide angle shot: Where is the button that turns the wireless on/off? Are you accidentally bumping it? It's a toggle. Look for a symbol that looks like a dotted i with a large dot and no gap between the line and dot. It has "waves" coming off the sides and should light up when activated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2007, 01:28 AM
 
Location: Fairbanks Alaska
1,675 posts, read 4,300,592 times
Reputation: 608
Try this for a while, turn off the security. If problem goes away then the issue is in the security settings. I knew a guy with a dell laptop and dell router that had this issue. The security was resetting the connection in some way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2007, 05:05 AM
 
Location: Boca Raton
9,342 posts, read 16,000,153 times
Reputation: 9029
Bumping the on/off- that is an excellent suggestion, as I was doing that when I first got the laptop- not now.

This didn't start happening until a few months ago.

I have ADV software and some kind of spyware. I will try turning it off. Otherwise I will take it in someplace to have them check (find) the card. Any suggestions for how to make sure I am taking it to someone who knows what they are doing? This is like my car- I know nothing about hardware and don't want to be taken advantage of.

Thank you everyone for the input. It is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2007, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Jax
8,204 posts, read 23,288,839 times
Reputation: 3171
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I have ADV software and some kind of spyware. I will try turning it off. Otherwise I will take it in someplace to have them check (find) the card. Any suggestions for how to make sure I am taking it to someone who knows what they are doing? This is like my car- I know nothing about hardware and don't want to be taken advantage of.
Maybe call Geek Squad?

My wireless card is internal......I'd have no idea how to find it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2007, 11:47 AM
 
18,957 posts, read 21,379,460 times
Reputation: 26511
Some things to try other than the "usual"

1. Start/Control Panel/Add Remove Programs. Look for anything mentioning toolbar, search, coupon, Bearshare, Limewire, Kazaa (spelling ? for all these) and remove them, especially anything Yahoo - they really screw with your computer. If you can get a snapshot(s) of the programs installed I will help you with deciding.

2. Download and install Spyware Blaster, Spyware Guard, AdAware and SpyBot. Update and run each in turn. SpyBot and AdAware remove Spyware from your PC. I use both because they find and remove different things. I run Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard for the same reason - they block slightly different items from your computer. All these are freeware. When installing Adaware there is a screen that asks for a registration number (or some such) click Cancel and it will pass this screen and install the free version. Post here if you need guidance. You can find these programs, or links to them, at Free Software Downloads and Software Reviews - Download.com

3. You can scan from the Internet: http://tinyurl.com/yt4uyk (broken link) Trend Micro HouseCall - Free Online Virus and Spyware Scan - Trend Micro USA (http://tinyurl.com/2xis - broken link) Free Virus Scan - Kaspersky Lab (http://tinyurl.com/e3dsx - broken link) and key in "online virus scan" (no quotes) in Google for more!

For where to take your laptop for help? Can't really answer. I don't like Best Buy or CompUSA myself.

Where the wireless card is located? What brand/model is your laptop? Not sure the location is that important to be truthful...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top