U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 08:31 PM

548 posts, read 1,065,636 times

Advertisements

I have the original Windows XP CD and license.

What i planned to do is purchase Windows 7 (64 bit).
Save everything I want to keep (programs, files etc) on an External Hard Drive.
Install Windows 7 on my PC.
Install additional RAM. Then upload all that I saved back to the PC again.

I will not be upgrading because I want the entire new version of Windows 7 to replace the existing Windows XP I have.

It seems the only way to do the other way is by taking my PC to a shop and have them use their Windows 7 disk to "upgrade" my computer and then give me the License ID info.
What they charge for their time and labor doesn't really make it cheaper in the long run. Plus I will not have a CD in my possession to do a reinstall if I ever wanted to (like buying a PC off the retail shelf, no install CD)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 10:02 PM

21,539 posts, read 24,660,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Upgrade - Can only be installed if you own a previous version of Windows (usually going back 2-3 versions). Also, the Upgrade licence is permanently tied to the old version of Windows. So you're only allowed to install the new version of Windows on another computer if you're allowed to install the old version on a new computer as well (usually not the case when Windows came with the computer).

Full - Can be installed without owning a previous version of Windows. The advantage of Full is that you can install it on another computer at another time. This is typically more expensive... but Windows pricing has been competitive recently.
All the reputable sites only carry Full OEM. So who at this point carries Upgrade 7?

And since the OP has to format anyway, why doesn't the OP just go straight to Win 7 Professional 64-bit?

To the OP:
What is the model number of your motherboard?

Also keep in mind that some/most of your software titles will not be compatible with Windows 7.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:17 PM

21,539 posts, read 24,660,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
I have the original Windows XP CD and license.

What i planned to do is purchase Windows 7 (64 bit).
Save everything I want to keep (programs, files etc) on an External Hard Drive.
Install Windows 7 on my PC.
Install additional RAM. Then upload all that I saved back to the PC again.

I will not be upgrading because I want the entire new version of Windows 7 to replace the existing Windows XP I have.

It seems the only way to do the other way is by taking my PC to a shop and have them use their Windows 7 disk to "upgrade" my computer and then give me the License ID info.
What they charge for their time and labor doesn't really make it cheaper in the long run. Plus I will not have a CD in my possession to do a reinstall if I ever wanted to (like buying a PC off the retail shelf, no install CD)

By the time to add in RAM, Video card (your RAM number basically states you have on board video) New OS (wanting Win7) and Labor you might as well replace it. Go to walmart.com at it'll be well under $600 to do so and get a computer with all of its CDs and 8GB of RAM.

iBuyPower 'Build Your Own' Gaming Desktop Bundle - Walmart.com

Old 02-05-2014, 10:28 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,764,037 times
What's the make/model of the PC -- or what CPU are you running?

Old 02-05-2014, 10:33 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,536,743 times
I made the big mistake of purchasing an 'upgrade'. Installed it and couldn't believe the problems.
Ended up buying a new computer.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:01 AM

1,731 posts, read 2,380,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
I made the big mistake of purchasing an 'upgrade'. Installed it and couldn't believe the problems.
I made the wise decision to purchase 5 Win 7 'upgrade' licenses for the 5 pcs on the network at my business -- replacing XP. It all went very well and all 5 PCs have been rock solid and brisker . I would not have OEM licenses and have to plead with MS the first time I upgraded processor or MB.

I don't know what problems you experienced or why, but I don't think your experience is a valid argument against upgrade.

Don in Austin

Old 02-06-2014, 08:17 AM

3,544 posts, read 5,676,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
I made the wise decision to purchase 5 Win 7 'upgrade' licenses for the 5 pcs on the network at my business -- replacing XP. It all went very well and all 5 PCs have been rock solid and brisker . I would not have OEM licenses and have to plead with MS the first time I upgraded processor or MB.

I don't know what problems you experienced or why, but I don't think your experience is a valid argument against upgrade.

Don in Austin
I have 5 or 6 OEM licenses and have never had to Plead with anyone to move my licenses to completely new builds, or re-license machines when hardware changed.

If you do it too many times in quick succession, you may have to call an automated line and punch in some numbers to get it to transfer, but that's no different than a full retail, or upgrade license.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:10 AM

13,306 posts, read 20,356,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Did you know that you can do a clean install with an upgrade disk? The OP can buy the Upgrade version and use it to do a clean (full) installation. He just needs to back up data he wants to keep before doing it. I upgraded three old PCs to Win 7 that way. One had XP, and the other two had Vista.

One other thing. Before he goes through with it, he should get copies of Windows 7, or Vista drivers for all of his hardware if the Win 7 Version of the drivers is not available, and copy them to a CD to use to install them after the "upgrade".

Microsoft had an upgrade advisor program that checked your computer to see if it would work. I don't know if that's still available, or if it's on the Windows 7 CD.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:18 AM

1,731 posts, read 2,380,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I have 5 or 6 OEM licenses and have never had to Plead with anyone to move my licenses to completely new builds, or re-license machines when hardware changed.

If you do it too many times in quick succession, you may have to call an automated line and punch in some numbers to get it to transfer, but that's no different than a full retail, or upgrade license.
Good to know. I have heard different stories even including refusal to accept a MB upgrade. In any case, the upgrade editions were only $100/license for Home Premium. There were no features on Pro that I could anticipate ever using.

Don in Austin

Old 02-06-2014, 10:22 AM

11,814 posts, read 13,951,598 times
I've also never had problems using a license after an upgrade. Even when you have to call MS there is no pleading. They never question it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or