Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 09:31 PM

38 posts, read 36,727 times

Advertisements

Looking at my hard drives, there is 115GB free on the SSD, and 1423GB (1.4TB) on the HHD. The i7 runs at 3.6Ghz because of turbo boost. There is 11 GB of RAM usable. I made some changes in the registry editor. I opened the Internet for the first time. Fortunately, the more I use the laptop the faster it goes. I think once I break it in (no, Im not breaking the laptop) it will go super fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
You'd be a perfect customer for an Apple.
Maybe. My neighbor has a Mac Pro 15" w/ retina and she loves it.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:33 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,207,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
You'd be a perfect customer for an Apple.
Or an Acer for a LOT less money, and without the worm.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:37 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,077,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace105 View Post
I opened the Internet for the first time. Fortunately, the more I use the laptop the faster it goes. I think once I break it in (no, Im not breaking the laptop) it will go super fast.
Yes, I think the bearings in the electronics just needed a little wear in them and the bits should move faster and faster the more you use the laptop.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:38 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,077,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Shhhhhh.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:41 PM

Alright, after turning the new laptop on, I was able to get it started in 43 seconds. Still, for its specs it is shaky. Another part that helped was I moved some of my files to the SSD from the HHD.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
But I like worms!! I also LOVE Trojans!!

Old 02-05-2014, 09:45 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,679,060 times
Quote:
I might keep my old laptop and get rid of my new laptop. I'm probably going to call in and trade in old one for new laptop-same laptop model, same specs. Or maybe I'll sell the new laptop for $1700 and buy a new laptop for $800-1000.
All you have to do is wait for it do all of its upgrades to current versions of all the software that is loaded. That may take about a week until everything is up to date. If you have NIS it does not slow down your computer. Once a week has passed and its been mostly turned on, then it should start to speed up. also advise you to either download ccleaner or go to ebay and purchase a copy of Norton Utilities (my preference).

Keep in mind the software on most computers are weeks to months out of date depending on the image copy they loaded. They do not load a fresh copy each time they make a computer nor do they load any of the updates. Most times the Windows loaded on it is the version that came out on its first day of introduction, thus it has to upload the 100's of updates since then and load them.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:50 PM

I am on my new "slow" computer and I made it to this thread in a record 2 mins and 13 seconds according to my iphone timer. Better than 11 mins and 32 secs, but still pretty slow for the specs. My next goal is to get to this thread in 1 min 45 seconds.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:45 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,679,060 times
Quote:
I am on my new "slow" computer and I made it to this thread in a record 2 mins and 13 seconds according to my iphone timer. Better than 11 mins and 32 secs, but still pretty slow for the specs. My next goal is to get to this thread in 1 min 45 seconds.
Give it time to get through the updates. You can get a jump on updates by doing Windows Update four or five times (each time requires reboot) in a row until it says there are no more. After you finish that have your NIS (if its 360 replace it with NIS) ran through a few cycles including the patches. Once its done run full system scan followed by deep scan (called eraser) and have norton utilities and let it run daily in the background. All my current computers (running Win7Pro) have hybrid drives so from dead start up to a browser page is under 30 seconds (if you are using IE switch over to Chrome or Firefox). We have multiple computers from different manufacturers and they all run this way.

So the next thing to check is your internet speed and report it back to us (download, upload, ping). Find a sped test program and run it. Run it through wifi and also run it hardwired directly into the modem. Report both numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers