U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 02:00 PM

13,138 posts, read 37,038,382 times

Advertisements

Can someone explain the whole process of the Disk Fragmenter. Like how does the Disk become Fragmented and should the defragmentor be performed as a maintenace once a week or month etc...

Thanks !
6/3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 03:58 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,995,148 times
The disk becomes fragmented just by using the computer, moving files,creating new files, etc.. The data is no longer contiguous so Windows writes the data to the next free cluster of space and this causes data to become "fragmented" so when you run a defragmenting program it places the data in a contiguous order. And I've read once a month once a week. I've even seen people say they do it once a day. Unless you're constantly installing things and deleting them once every few weeks should be good. It's been ages since I've lasted done one of those because by the time my computer starts slowing down I format it and start over.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:49 AM

3,098 posts, read 8,404,952 times
There was a post on memory awhile back where the subject of defragging came up. Thread is here.

The post in question:

Quote:

Quote:
I still find it interesting/amusing/annoying that Windows filesystems still seem to require explicit defragging from time to time.

Microsoft's own Gordon Letwin designed the HPFS filesystem in 1989 that I use on my OS/2 and eCS machines, and I've *never* had to defrag those partitions. Why their newer NTFS filesystem isn't similar in its basic behavior is something I've never understood.

Fragmentation, by itself, isn't harmful in most filesystems anyway unless it causes a performance hit.
I usually compare fragmentation to someone digging thru a filing cabinet. While many people put stuff back where they found it, not everyone is quite so neat.

Windows is NOT neat. Liz
Liz

Old 12-01-2007, 05:53 AM

231 posts, read 646,636 times
windows is like me and my bro as kids
defrag is mom...

regular users i wud thik once evry other month wud be ok to defrag

Old 12-01-2007, 11:26 AM

13,138 posts, read 37,038,382 times
Thanks everyone as i have a better idea what to ''Defragment'' is all about !!

6/3

Old 12-01-2007, 12:14 PM

453 posts, read 1,964,254 times
i'm a big fan of raxco perfectdisk. not only does it defragment the harddrive, it places commonly used files closer to the front of the disc. i've noticed significant performance boosts over the windows defrag tool. they have 1-month trials available so that you can see if it's worth buying. if you don't have a really big harddrive or a really full harddrive, the difference may not be big enough to be worth the price, but on my tower pc i have a 320gb hd and perfectdisk has been a lifesaver [/salespitch]

Old 12-05-2007, 03:32 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,739,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjukken View Post
windows is like me and my bro as kids
defrag is mom...
Heheh. That's one of the best descriptions I've ever seen.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:39 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzou View Post
The disk becomes fragmented just by using the computer, moving files,creating new files, etc.. The data is no longer contiguous so Windows writes the data to the next free cluster of space and this causes data to become "fragmented" so when you run a defragmenting program it places the data in a contiguous order.
This behavior is why, when you accidentally delete a file or files you should stop and do nothing else on the computer until you do a data recovery for the files. If you continue writing to the disk you run the danger of overwriting one or more of the clusters that Windows has marked as unused (the next free cluster can be one that has never been used, or it can be one you just freed up by deleting a file). Oops!

Old 12-07-2007, 06:44 AM

453 posts, read 1,964,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
This behavior is why, when you accidentally delete a file or files you should stop and do nothing else on the computer until you do a data recovery for the files. If you continue writing to the disk you run the danger of overwriting one or more of the clusters that Windows has marked as unused (the next free cluster can be one that has never been used, or it can be one you just freed up by deleting a file). Oops!
good advice. when you delete a file, it's still on the disc, but your OS just doesn't acknowledge it anymore. as soon as something else is stored, the OS will overwrite that space.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:16 AM

6,290 posts, read 21,085,911 times
Just a note. I use the free defragger from AusLogic and like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers