U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 08:46 AM

16,410 posts, read 26,661,204 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone here uses Linux. I have two PC's and run both without Windows. My main computer I use for work runs Slackware and my side computer that I have for fun has Slackware, Gentoo and an open Partition that I use to switch through different OS's.. currently FreeBSD.

Any other people on the dark side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 09:32 AM

3,544 posts, read 5,676,746 times
I've tried several different distros over the years, but have had too many problems to stay on them. Some of the issues I had last time (3 years ago) have since been cleaned up a bit, but my current configuration doesn't lend itself to running Linux any more, so on the desktop it's not really going to happen for me (at least on my primary work / play machine).

Once Steam OS is mature (from a Steam feature set), and if I can get it to do everything I need, I may replace Win7 on my HTPC, but that's a ways out.

I do have a number of servers (CentOS), but even there the TCO is not working out, and I'm starting to migrate back to Windows. I'll probably keep one or two of them for some basic web hosting, but for the custom client work, it's cheaper to run in Windows.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:43 AM

16,410 posts, read 26,661,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I've tried several different distros over the years, but have had too many problems to stay on them. Some of the issues I had last time (3 years ago) have since been cleaned up a bit, but my current configuration doesn't lend itself to running Linux any more, so on the desktop it's not really going to happen for me (at least on my primary work / play machine).

Once Steam OS is mature (from a Steam feature set), and if I can get it to do everything I need, I may replace Win7 on my HTPC, but that's a ways out.

I do have a number of servers (CentOS), but even there the TCO is not working out, and I'm starting to migrate back to Windows. I'll probably keep one or two of them for some basic web hosting, but for the custom client work, it's cheaper to run in Windows.

I agree with you there. In the past I had issues with hardware compatibility and also software compatibility. Now that I'm older I don't really play video games anymore which was the main reason I always ended up going back to Windows. Also, LibreOffice is pretty much as good as Microsoft Office now.

I think Linux is good for a certain type of user but still isn't quite there to be mainstream. However, I do think it's in a place now to where a person who likes computers and wants to put up with Linux can see the benefits of it and not have to sacrifice as much like they do in the past.

I have heard about SteamOS, but I'm pretty far out of the loop with gaming so I don't know much about it. What exactly is it?

Old 02-08-2014, 10:10 AM

3,544 posts, read 5,676,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I agree with you there. In the past I had issues with hardware compatibility and also software compatibility. Now that I'm older I don't really play video games anymore which was the main reason I always ended up going back to Windows. Also, LibreOffice is pretty much as good as Microsoft Office now.

I think Linux is good for a certain type of user but still isn't quite there to be mainstream. However, I do think it's in a place now to where a person who likes computers and wants to put up with Linux can see the benefits of it and not have to sacrifice as much like they do in the past.

I have heard about SteamOS, but I'm pretty far out of the loop with gaming so I don't know much about it. What exactly is it?
I'm older now too (well, 40+), but I still game some (enough that I'm not giving them up to save $90 every few years for a copy of Windows).

My main issues have been hardware related, particularly getting solid support for multi-monitors. I used to run a separate physical machine for my clients, running each one in a VM. I always thought that that box would be a perfect candidate for Linux on the bare metal, and Windows in the VM, but could never get it stable enough (particularly monitor support), and always ended up back in Windows for the host.

Now I run the VM's on my main dev tower, and work from home, so it's also my gaming machine, and I run mostly on the MS stack, so Linux on this box is no longer a reality.

Steam OS is Debian based, and boots directly into a version of Steam Big Picture Mode (the desktop is still available). Basically it's designed for the 10' UI (TV) and controllers. It can play the 100 or so Linux games on Steam, but will also be able to stream games from a Windows PC that has Steam running (using the Windows PC to do the heavy lifting, and allowing non Linux games to run on the Steam Box without Wine, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers