Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 01:15 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times

Advertisements

For me, the most addictive programming languages are definitely SQL and Python. I have found myself playing around with both of them for hours on end. I actually know quite a bit about Java and C++ but I really don't have fun with those languages. When it comes to Python though, I just have too much fun with it. Even when I'm stuck on something, and I figure out a problemi have more fun doing this. I think since I've always been a big search engine guy since I've been on the internet, j tend to gravitate towards SQL. I feel like I'm just doing Google searches when doing SQL. I've found myself losing hours just trying to write queries for data models at work.

Honerable mentions are awk, and the Unix command line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 02:00 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
None

Old 02-09-2014, 02:19 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
Any chance I get, I will also pick Python. It is a fun language to play around with.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:07 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
None
Seriously!

It is like asking which doo-doo smells the best?

That said, I only do scripting and I am still learning PowerShell, so I typically create scripts using CL.
As a programming language, I was learning Ruby which seemed very simple and logical.
As mentioned, Python seems like a powerful language yet simple with a logical syntax.
Best part for either language is, they are both free to download and use!
So, for anyone trying to learn programming on a budget, either one makes sense.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 02-10-2014 at 12:21 PM..

Old 02-11-2014, 02:33 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
I would say BASIC as I really loved it and started to learn how to do things. Starting on Apple computers and my Commodore 64 which I love!!! (Use it often)

Then when i got into PCs I discovered GW BASIC and thats nice also

http://www.eddiesegoura.com/Games/GWBASIC.EXE (79k)

Old 02-11-2014, 08:43 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I would say BASIC as I really loved it and started to learn how to do things. Starting on Apple computers and my Commodore 64 which I love!!! (Use it often)

Yeah, but can you do this in BASIC?
Quote:
/^\[[0-9]{4}\-[0-9]{2}\-[0-9]{2} ([0-9]{2}):/;
Yeah, I'm a Perl fan. It's so remarkably flexible, it really gives you an opportunity to be creative.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:36 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Nice thread.

My outright favorites are *nix shell scripting language, SQL, and Perl. To this day, Sed and Awk still come up. I use several other languages, but on the data side, simplicity and manageability are a huge plus,, and these do a good job. If you are reading this and you are in the US, it's almost guaranteed that you have received, or are (more likely) occasionally or frequently interfacing with my systems in some form, using the above behind the scenes.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:23 AM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post

That was BASIC? I always thought it was a proprietary version of Pascal or something. Who knew I was "FreezeFrame"ing into Commodore64 games and making changes! Hah! I remember changing a code in the game called Karateka and my characters head was like 5 times larger!

Good times!

Old 02-13-2014, 04:05 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Yup .. Its interesting....... I clicked the link to download GWBASIC and I clicked OPEN so it would just open on my screen and it said "60300 bytes free" (You can see the same info by entering ?fre(0) (Which also works on Commodore 64)

I dunon why pressing CTRL-C doesnt act as break (^C) ,i thought it used to when i tried that before??!?!?!?!

I entered a simple program

0 n=n+1:?n:goto 0

Then I entered "run" and when i pressed CTRL-C it just beeps,it should stop and display "Break in 0" but it doesnt..........

Hmmmmm

Interestingly C64,GW basic and Apple allow the use of line 0 (ZERO) -- TI 99/4a (MY FIRST COMPUTER) does not!

Here is an apple emulator!!

http://download.berlios.de/applewin/AppleWin1.10.4.zip (Click on the APPLE to use Basic)

Best one I have found!!

Last edited by Dude111; 02-13-2014 at 04:40 AM..

Old 02-13-2014, 09:14 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,869,867 times
sql is fun for me cause it's simple but it's complex because of it's simplicity...... if that makes sense.

I'm currently coding in C# for a commission system we're building and it's quite fun with intellisense and tools like sqlmetal and telerik controls. I just realized yesterday that when you go to edit something on a grid, the commandname editinit fires, which gives you all kinds of power as far as checking for nulls and things like that. I just assumed that edit was the commandname that fired but I didn't think about there being two button clicks, and not just one. So now i can check between editinit and edit for stuff that I don't want users to be able to do...which is awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers