U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 07:07 PM

40 posts, read 36,645 times

Advertisements

I have a 32GB USB flash drive. It dosent show up on "This PC." I am running Windows 8.1. I went into "Disk Management" and it showed up as healthy and working. I tried to change the letter but that didnt work or help at all. I am out of ideas on why it isnt working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 03:17 PM

2,791 posts, read 3,435,603 times
What type file system is it formatted?

Old 02-09-2014, 09:55 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,845,236 times
As dijk mentioned, what filesystem was the flash drive formatted with (Windows or Mac)?
Or more so, was it formatted at all?

One other possibility is that the drive was used on this PC before, Windows cached the device but the USB channel it was cached under/linked to, is either invalid or in use by another device.

Check the formatting first.

If it was formatted, try formatting again (use whatever the native type it should use).

If formatting was fine, then:
- First, disconnect the drive then download USBdeview (download link is -almost- at the bottom) and check to see if there is any entry related to the drive indicating it was disabled or not. It would be odd but if that is the case, enable it.

- If the entry shows disconnected, simply remove/delete it. If it shows up as connected, first disconnect it then remove it.

I usually sort the list by clicking on the "Device Type" column then locate the drive by model under "Device Name" column. The manufacturer will also be listed under the "Description" column:

Afterwards, better to reboot the machine and then connect the flash drive to see if it shows up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or