U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 11:15 AM

11,127 posts, read 12,804,701 times

Advertisements

You may also consider using the Firefox browser that has many free ad blocking extensions that are very effective. Most notably is the script blocker which is simply a must have in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 12:15 PM

6,290 posts, read 21,086,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
You may also consider using the Firefox browser that has many free ad blocking extensions that are very effective. Most notably is the script blocker which is simply a must have in my opinion.
Firefox, Opera, etc. are considered safer browsers (sometimes called second generation" browsers); they're also inherently safer, or least for now, because most mal-ware is written to exploit holes in Internet Explorer's security.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:42 PM

11,127 posts, read 12,804,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Firefox, Opera, etc. are considered safer browsers (sometimes called second generation" browsers); they're also inherently safer, or least for now, because most mal-ware is written to exploit holes in Internet Explorer's security.
Like anything, because Internet Explorer is the most popular for so long it is the largest target to those who wish to exploit it. However, Internet Explorer base code was written at a time when the vast majority of these exploits were not only known but unfathomable as well. I recently read a good piece on where pre-IE7, the code was just so lousy that it was a sieve.

I am of the opinion that currently Firefox is the standard that other browsers should look to for the general population. It is easy to use, it is fairly safe, and it is also expandable and adaptable, most notably with the extra security features available to the general public for free.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:08 AM

6,290 posts, read 21,086,864 times
Oops. I meant SpyBot S&D in my earlier post . . . not SpyBoy. ;-)

Old 12-05-2007, 09:47 AM

8,388 posts, read 7,581,263 times
Personal Edition Avira

Report: little-known AV packages outdo those of Symantec, McAfee, Microsoft

Old 02-04-2008, 01:36 PM

1,641 posts, read 4,625,424 times
Thanks to all of you. I am so fed up with the perfomance problems caused by Norton, that I want to switch. I don't care if the software costs money, but I just want to stop the performance issues.

So Kaspersky? Do I need anything else? I only use my computer for email and internet, I'm not networked, but I am wireless (security enabled router)

FYI - I have XP, and use Firefox.

Last edited by agreatlife; 02-04-2008 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: add info on op system

Old 02-04-2008, 02:36 PM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
460 posts, read 2,014,325 times
Default Cant go wrong with Kaspersky

Kaspersky is the way to go if you can afford to shell a few $$$$....!!!!

=============

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Kaspersky is excellent - top rated, reliable, doesn't dog your system too badly, and you can do a 30 day free trial without limitations to test it out. I've been using it on my WinTel machines for several months without issue. I had used Norton for a couple years but decided not only was it expensive to renew, but the performance zing my computers had with it active was atrocious. Try Kaspersky, I think you'll be pleased.
Antivirus Software: Kaspersky Lab - Protection Against Malware and Cybercrime

Old 02-04-2008, 02:53 PM

2,238 posts, read 8,969,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
Go to Download.com and get AVG Free. It does the job, and doesn't cost anything.
Exactly this.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:44 PM

8,388 posts, read 7,581,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
Thanks to all of you. I am so fed up with the perfomance problems caused by Norton, that I want to switch. I don't care if the software costs money, but I just want to stop the performance issues.

So Kaspersky? Do I need anything else? I only use my computer for email and internet, I'm not networked, but I am wireless (security enabled router)

FYI - I have XP, and use Firefox.
I've used AVG, Avast, Kapersky, Spybot, and Ad-aware.

I also periodically use the online scanners from CA, Panda, and others.

I know some people that keep two separate PCS, one for browsing and downloading and a second for conducting transactions with their banks, brokerages, stores, etc. The second PC only uses the firewall that comes with Vista because there's no files being downloaded that could compromise its security.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:47 PM

30,586 posts, read 68,143,765 times
I'm glad I'm not the only one having performance issues with Norton. It causes my PC programs to crawl. What good is an anti-virus system if its protection hampers your PC to the point where it feels like you already DO have a virus?! I usually just turn it off now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or