Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 08:40 PM

252 posts, read 1,071,588 times

Advertisements

Virus protector or security........
something cheaper than Norton ? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 10:31 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,663,267 times
Go to Download.com and get AVG Free. It does the job, and doesn't cost anything.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:17 AM

2,218 posts, read 5,394,047 times
I've heard a lot of good things about avast 4.

I tried it the other day and it was more than a pain for me. The nice feature that it has is the boot scanner. It's free but it says garbage about registering after 30 days.

There is also Clamwin I've used it for a bit. I use it mainly for a portable scanner since you can put it on a usb drive. A second opinion is always great. Free.

Like the other person mentioned AVG. It's not a resource hog that I've noticed. Which is always good. But no boot up scanner.

There are others that I've found, never tried em though.

If you need a firewall as well you can check out comodo or zonealarm. ZoneAlarm is starting to strip their product down pretty badly to get people to get the full version. Comodo is great has a lot of options and what not. I really like that one. It says Comodo Pro. And it is. It's a pro version for the free price. I like free.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:26 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
Go to Download.com and get AVG Free. It does the job, and doesn't cost anything.
I'll second the free version of AVG. I've used it for at least two years with no problems. The price is right, too.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:49 AM

Default Avg

Hi, I downloaded AVG last night and when it was getting ready to install it gave me a security warning that was kind of intimidating so I cancelled it at the last minute. It said if user content was unknown do not download, such thing.......I think.

HELP, are u guys really sure this is safe? I just got a new computer and do not want it messed up already!

Old 12-02-2007, 01:05 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,188,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topo View Post
Hi, I downloaded AVG last night and when it was getting ready to install it gave me a security warning that was kind of intimidating so I cancelled it at the last minute. It said if user content was unknown do not download, such thing.......I think.

HELP, are u guys really sure this is safe? I just got a new computer and do not want it messed up already!
Both AVG and AVAST are excellent anti-virus choices. When it comes time to install software and you get such a warning, it is usually ok since you went to their download site to get the program. This is a standard warning issued whenever you install something. When it is most important is when you get this warning and you never intentionally downloaded something.

If you went to the AVG site to get this program then I would suspect you are ok. Excellent that you pay attention to such warnings though.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:54 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,931,688 times
I have free AVG and am very happy along with free Pop Up Stopped work excellent,didn't like Norton.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Still have a question/maybe ready to download AVG

where did you get the free popup blocker? and you can call me technologically stupid but do I save, or open the AVG file when it asks, and is it the same for the pop-up blocker?
You guys do not have any idea how helpful you are! Thanks so much

Old 12-02-2007, 05:54 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,918 times
Kaspersky is excellent - top rated, reliable, doesn't dog your system too badly, and you can do a 30 day free trial without limitations to test it out. I've been using it on my WinTel machines for several months without issue. I had used Norton for a couple years but decided not only was it expensive to renew, but the performance zing my computers had with it active was atrocious. Try Kaspersky, I think you'll be pleased.
Antivirus Software: Kaspersky Lab - Protection Against Malware and Cybercrime

Old 12-04-2007, 03:45 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,206,471 times
AVG is a good choice, but I'd agree with mbuszu that Kaspersky is an excellent choice if you're willing spend just a few dollars.

Some other free programs that you might want to look at installing include:
SpyBoy S&D
Ad-Aware
WinPatrol (an excellent active program that might just save you a big headache if you do a lot of Internet surfing)

The programs below have a more specific purpose, but might be worth looking at as well:
ZoomedOut
HostsXpert
AVG Anti-Rootkit or RootkitBuster
ATF Cleaner
SpywareBlaster

Before loading any program of this type that you're not familiar with, you need to check it out on the SpywareWarriors website. They maintain a list of rogue software; some anti-malware programs are worse than worthless, they are malware themselves.

ac

Last edited by alleycat; 12-04-2007 at 04:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers