U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 08:37 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,367,397 times

Advertisements

Or you could try a Linux Distribution. I use Linux Mint
Main Page - Linux Mint

on several older machines. You can even run from a Live CD/DVD or USB and make sure it works before putting it on your hard drive.

These days you don't have to be 'techie' to use Linux. I use LibreOffice or OpenOffice to work on Office documents (Mainly Excel and Word but I've done PowerPoint) has never been a problem. JPG is fine. I don't know about Notepad (I may have time to try that next week)

For Linux Mint the xfce version is the 'lightest weight' and runs on the least powerful machines but the MATE version is also good for older less powerful machines. Both come in 32 bit and 64 bit versions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 09:44 AM

701 posts, read 993,845 times
Save the money. Install Win7 and keep the laptop.

I was in the same situation 6 months back. I "inherited" something similar from my wife's office - a Dell Vostro 1520 (Core2 Duo/3GB RAM) with 160 GB HD and Win XP. They bought her a new one and let her keep the old Dell Vostro 1520, which she "gifted" to me to show her love and affection, and parlayed that into several house chores!

Anyway, I wiped out the hard drive and installed Win 7 Ultimate (32-bit). A bit of a pain having to download the Win 7 drivers from Dell but not a big deal. Then also installed MS Office 2007. Installed all updates. And all firewall/antivirus/malwarebytes software. Overall, took roughly 3 hours to complete.

The most difficult part was finding the right driver for the trackpad. I love the trackpad on my Macbook and wanted a similar multi-touch capability on this Dell. Searched for the Synaptics TouchPad driver. Installed that. And voila - two-finger scrolling and multitouch! Still not as good as the Mac trackpad, but good enough to use without a mouse all day.

Not sure, but after all the searches I did back then, I think this is what worked: Synaptics TouchPad Driver 15.0.9.0 (HP) - News - LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Then I also installed the latest Ubuntu LTS - , with Libre Office, Eclipse and a few other software in 50 gig partition. For my diabolical/subterfuge/secret agent 007 activities.

As always, the Ubuntu install was much better than the Win7 install. All needed software, drivers and codecs were downloaded and installed with no user intervention. Except maybe at the beginning when I had to confirm Complete install took less than an hour.

The machine performs excellently. Other than the bluetooth which is still buggy, but one I don't need, everything works and is pretty fast. I don't need to buy another laptop for the next few years. I still prefer the Mac, but I've been taking this laptop instead of the Mac quite a bit. Linux and Win7 in one machine!

Old 06-05-2014, 06:06 PM

5,745 posts, read 9,123,808 times
Thanks for all the additional replies!

What did I end up doing? I kept the laptop. Kept XP. Switched to Chrome. Everything is fine so far.

This machine is fast enough for the programs I run--which 90% of the time is Chrome and Word.

And just tonight, I did this registry trick I found in PC World.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:43 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,347,584 times
Forced to give up XP because it could no longer be repaired, I was disappointed to discover in Windows7, there is no email through my server which I've had many years. No choice but to use one of the internet offerings, such as Hotmail or Yahoo.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:29 PM

3,544 posts, read 5,676,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Forced to give up XP because it could no longer be repaired, I was disappointed to discover in Windows7, there is no email through my server which I've had many years. No choice but to use one of the internet offerings, such as Hotmail or Yahoo.
It can be added for free in just a couple of minutes. There are a lot of free email clients available, including one from MS.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:05 AM

11,814 posts, read 13,951,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
NO EMAIL THROUGH MY SERVER? not really sure what you mean there???
Unless you mean a email program as Skunky suggested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or