U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 01:18 AM

39,766 posts, read 57,642,611 times

Advertisements

Maybe someone knows how to fix it, please...

RECENTLY (no changes are made in any settings in my computer) I noticed that a second after the computer loads a page, it will jump down just few notches. It's so annoying, especially when I am about to click on something - link, or picture, the screen moves down and I am clicking on something completely different.
This is something new, and I already covered the basics: cleaned cookies, history, scanned for viruses, restarted, closed then restarted, turned off the modem etc.
What could cause this craziness? Perhaps the mouse is acting out? (It's a 6 weeks old wireless Logitech, and was working fine till now). I already changed the batteries too, but nothing seem to help...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 03:35 AM

26,158 posts, read 15,731,811 times
This happens to me when i view things for sale on Ebay!!!!! (A list down the screen. When i goto click the picture,IT MOVES!!!)

Very aggravating....... I dont know why its happening and Im sorry it happens to you also!

Old 02-11-2014, 03:53 AM

^^^ At least I am not alone. I tried to Google this problem, but didn't found any results.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-11-2014, 09:39 AM

15,209 posts, read 18,486,202 times
My first guess is the wheel on the mouse (or the wheel-like functionality) is being triggered. I've noticed that sometimes the wheel doesn't fully "snap" into position when scrolling, and it'll sometimes cause the behavior you're describing.

If that's not it, it could be something on the page taking the focus (such as a search box or other text field), which would cause the page to automatically scroll to that field.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:13 AM

13,343 posts, read 17,764,037 times
I've had this happened but only on certain webpages -- usually one with heavy images or scripts -- so it leads me to think it's a (webpage) coding issue but haven't been able to pinpoint.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:17 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,561,461 times
Some pages load ads last. If they don't have a set size container for the ad, the ad takes up zero pixels before it is loaded. When it finally does load, the whole page has to shift downward to give the ad enough room to exist at the top of the page.

This is probably what you're experiencing. Try adblock or something similar for a little bit, see if it fixes the issue. If it does, depending on the site, you can contact the webmaster and notify them that ads should be loaded towards the beginning of the page load, not the end in order for this to stop happening.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:41 PM

1,323 posts, read 2,254,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I've had this happened but only on certain webpages -- usually one with heavy images or scripts -- so it leads me to think it's a (webpage) coding issue but haven't been able to pinpoint.
One way to test this is by disabling scripts for a particular site that triggers this behavior.

I've also noticed UI weirdness when accidentally setting the zoom or other accessibility features.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:21 AM

26,158 posts, read 15,731,811 times
I always have them disabled so its not that!! (99% of the time anyway)

Old 02-12-2014, 04:43 AM

I could understand the "loading adds last" concept, but it happen to most pages, even when switching between forums/threads on City-Data. (the ad-block is enabled)
I am using a different (wired) mouse now, and so far - it ceased. Therefore, a malfunctioning mouse wheel theory sounds really plausible.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:44 AM

2,709 posts, read 3,001,518 times
Mine has been doing that ever since I got this new computer with Windows 7. I figured it was just another housekeeping job -- getting the page all in balance -- and let it do its thing. Surely hope so. Not looking for any more fixits to fret with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers