U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

MP3: computer play, DVD, cell phone gadgets, digital cameras, candy shop, marketing information

Old 12-01-2007, 09:39 AM

252 posts, read 992,098 times

Advertisements

What is an MP3 and what is the difference between an MP3 and a DVD or CD?
All of them look alike to me.......! Can you play an MP3 on your computer?

Now I need to know about Ipod, what in the world is it and what do u do with it.

Cell phones with all the gadgets, wow they are getting so small. How does everyone, I mean everyone afford these little guys.

Digital cameras, what are the best for the cheapest price. I do not need a whole lot of bells and whistles.

I am still living in an old fashioned world and these things intimidate me! I am like a little girl in the candy shop when I go to Circuit City.

I bought a laptop and it doesn't come with instructions on how to use it, why do they assume you know how to use it? I have never used a finger to move my pointer before, and it is all new to me. I can't figure out how to highlight and cut and paste at all........lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 10:31 AM

2,775 posts, read 2,947,337 times
MP3 is just a file type. MP3 files are audio files. Here's some information on MP3 files:
Howstuffworks "How MP3 Files Work"

DVD's and CD's are just disks that data can be stored upon. Here's some information on their differences:
Howstuffworks "How DVDs Work"

When you are buying electronics these days you will see marketing information about what disks and file formats particular products use.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:49 AM

28,627 posts, read 40,609,166 times
You are naive! Did that help?

I don't use the touch pads on laptops: I don't like them. Buy a usb mouse and use it. Life gets better. Here's my favorite. Watch for sales! I've purchased them for as little as $10.00.

CompUSA.com - Microsoft Wireless Optical Notebook Mouse, Slate, USB - BX3-00008 - Microsoft » Accessories » Mice, Trackballs, PC Remotes (http://tinyurl.com/28txlp - broken link)

ipod is for music and pictures. As for how to use it, I recommend Google. how to use an ipod - Google Search (http://tinyurl.com/ywhr8x - broken link)

Cameras: Here's a good resource. In fact, this is the one I use when looking for new cameras. Steve's Digicams - Main Menu (http://tinyurl.com/515n - broken link)

Old 12-01-2007, 12:12 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,491,490 times
I love using the touchpad on my laptop . As long as it has the 2-finger scroll option (I think they all do now), then it's a great feature.

Topo - you highlight by giving a "click" on the bar on your touchpad and then scroll across the sentence to highlight (so it's a "click", then a "scroll"). Once your sentence is highlighted, you go to your EDIT feature (or whatever it may be on your computer) and choose "cut", "paste", whatever.

There are shortcuts to the above, but this is the manual way .

Also, if you haven't yet tried it, use 2 fingers for a fast scroll down the page (no need to use the sidebar scroll feature - just scroll right down the middle of the page; wherever your arrow happens to be).

An ipod is optional. They are fantastic machines, but if listening to music is not a huge part of your life, you can skip the ipod or just put it at the bottom of your list.

A decent cell phone is almost a necessary item to have today. The safety aspect of having a phone with you at all times is worth the cost of entry alone . You can get a pretty good phone for free when you sign a contract with a provider (Verizon, Sprint, etc.). If you want a better phone, you can pay a small amount to upgrade. A basic phone with a built-in camera is probably all you need and you can get that for free.

A digital camera is really the way to go if you take pictures. I have a Nikon and I adore it. Other good affordable brands are Canon, Panasonic, and Sony. I'd go for something a little above "point and shoot", maybe spend $300-$400 if that works with your budget.

What kind of laptop did you buy Topo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers