Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2014, 10:33 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,222,229 times

Advertisements

A year or so back, I downloaded and started using Thunderbird. At the time all of my Outlook Express folders were imported to Thunderbird with their files intact. I did, however, keep Outlook Express as a safety measure while testing Thunderbird.

Windows 7 does not provide Outlook Express. That I know. My question is: When I upgraded to Windows 7 and imported all the programs and files that I had on XP, would Outlook Express have come with it even though W7 does not itself provide the program? Is OE still in my computer somewhere? All I can find in my search is a note from MS about what W7 provides and does not provide.

Why I ask: In Thunderbird, all those imported folders that I had created myself have been transferred into Tbird folders and the OE ones deleted. However, the folders that automatically come with OE (Inbox, Sent, Archives, etc.) will not delete. They are all empty but cannot be removed. I am wondering if this is because I still have OE somewhere. Is that possible? To know would maybe solve the mystery as to why I cannot delete those unused folders.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 12:05 PM

10,923 posts, read 21,868,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Windows 7 does not provide Outlook Express. That I know. My question is: When I upgraded to Windows 7 and imported all the programs and files that I had on XP, would Outlook Express have come with it even though W7 does not itself provide the program? Is OE still in my computer somewhere? All I can find in my search is a note from MS about what W7 provides and does not provide.
As you can't actually do an upgrade in the Windows sense of the word from XP to Windows 7, a bit more info would help. Did you do a backup to an external drive and then copy your files back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Why I ask: In Thunderbird, all those imported folders that I had created myself have been transferred into Tbird folders and the OE ones deleted. However, the folders that automatically come with OE (Inbox, Sent, Archives, etc.) will not delete. They are all empty but cannot be removed. I am wondering if this is because I still have OE somewhere. Is that possible? To know would maybe solve the mystery as to why I cannot delete those unused folders.

Thank you.
You may need to take ownership of the folders before you can delete them.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:31 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,630,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I may be way off base here, but I'm thinking the OP is referring to the virtual folders inside of TB. They may represent real folders, but not likely.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
As you can't actually do an upgrade in the Windows sense of the word from XP to Windows 7, a bit more info would help. Did you do a backup to an external drive and then copy your files back?

I figured "upgrade" was the wrong word but I trusted you'd know what I meant. I don't know what process the man used to do a backup and copy back. Being professional, I trust that he did it the best way. I had a feeling that OE would not have made it. Just as Dell Cleaner for XP could not make it. If MS isn't going to support it, they might not let it in. And I cannot find it which, with me, proves nothing.

As for taking ownership, that is beyond me. The list is short. I'll just leave it there and hope it is "dead". It's Inbox certainly was not dead last night when it received a duplicated group of letters from Tbird's Inbox. But that's another story all fixed now.

Thanks.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I may be way off base here, but I'm thinking the OP is referring to the virtual folders inside of TB. They may represent real folders, but not likely.
That sounds right. They are not "folders" the way I get them when I create them. They are the ones that come with the program. they have what I suppose are icons. Some years ago, when I changed from another email program to OE, I was able to delete those. But I didn't save the old program. I wondered if that made the difference. Maybe not.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:30 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,770,941 times
You can get the 2009 version of Windows Live here, This version of Windows live Email is practically identical to Outlook Express.

http://g.live.com/1rewlive3/en/wlsetup-all.exe

If you have Windows Essentials installed you'll need to uninstall it. Once this version is installed you cannot update anything like Windows Movie Maker that is installed with the 2009 version. It's all tied together and if you update say Windows Movie maker you need to update the email component and the newest email component sucks to put it bluntly.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:38 AM

3,455 posts, read 4,782,342 times
If you have a OE disc that came with one of your XP machines in the past that has Outlook Express on it, you can install it on Windows 7 using XP compatibility mode.

Another work around, is if you happen to have or can get your hands on Office 2003, you can install it on 7 and use Outlook.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
If you have a OE disc that came with one of your XP machines in the past that has Outlook Express on it, you can install it on Windows 7 using XP compatibility mode.

Another work around, is if you happen to have or can get your hands on Office 2003, you can install it on 7 and use Outlook.
Thanks. I was not wanting to install it but to learn if it is already in there and I just can't find it. That might have explained why I could not delete those particular "virtual folders". No big problem. I am happy with Thunderbird -- as long as no one sends me an attachment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers