U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 01:31 PM

4,529 posts, read 4,214,321 times

Advertisements

What are the pros and cons of windows 8.1 from real users and not the usual 5-10 tech sites that gripe about everything. Win 8/8.1 is pretty much 7 once you get past the Metro interface and the no start menu. I know people dont like chnage but there are a few things on Win 8/8.1 that are worth the upgrade.

PROS
-Boots faster than XP/7
-Comes out of hibernate faster than XP/7
-Backup program better than XP, but the same as 7-Much more stable than XP -Being able to search for things by simply typing from the metro screen

CONS
-Metro interface seems pointless at times if you dont have a touch screen
-No Start Menu can make thing very cumbersome at time, like trying to restart or shutdown
-Having to learn alot of Windows shortcut keys in your head to make using w8.1 smoother at times-Compatibility issues with older hardware drivers wise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 06:32 AM

10,752 posts, read 17,997,204 times
Con: I don't like it

Pro: I don't have it

Old 02-22-2014, 07:30 AM

2,791 posts, read 3,432,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Con: I don't like it

Pro: I don't have it
What he said^^^^

Furthermore, I will never own a machine that has that awful metro interface. I will continue to use Ubuntu Linux and use it more or if it comes down to it and I hate to say it......I would switch to Mac.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:12 AM

844 posts, read 2,707,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
CONS
-No Start Menu can make thing very cumbersome at time, like trying to restart or shutdown
-Having to learn alot of Windows shortcut keys in your head to make using w8.1 smoother at times
-Compatibility issues with older hardware drivers wise
Restarting and shutting down is as simple as right clicking the windows icon in the lower left corner of the screen which brings up a list.

I haven't really had to learn any shortcut keys; I use W-8.1 the same as W-7.

Any new operating system will have compatibility issues with select older hardware.

I simply cannot understand why people (not specifically you) are making such a fuss over W-8.1; Overall, I like it better than W-7

Old 02-22-2014, 10:06 AM

4,348 posts, read 9,499,369 times
I have no issues with Windows 8.1. I can't figure out why people are making such a big deal about the Start screen. In 8.1 you can turn it off and never see it again. Personally I find it easier to find my programs using the Start-Apps screen, than using the old fashioned Start menu. Anyone who says they "hate" it probably doesn't like any type of change, in general.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:18 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,386,287 times
Keep in mind I went from XP directly to Windows 8/8.1. I have zero experience with Vista or Windows 7.

Pros:
Allows me to access movies on my disk drive using my blu-ray player so I can watch them directly on the big screen TV.
Boots much faster than XP (of course this is at least partially due to me going from a P4 300 with a gig or RAM to some screaming fast processor with 8 gigs of RAM).

Cons:
No MSCONFIG.
The Metro interface is horribly bloated and no real way to customize it.
Lack of a Start button. The Start button that comes as part of the 8.1 bloatware only brings up Metro.
The OS is horribly organized. It is an exercise in frustration to perform even the most basic task.
My wife's 6th generation ipod nano is incompatible with Windows 8 running iTunes.
It is easier to configure a SAMBA file share on a linux box than it is to configure peer-to-peer file sharing on a Windows 8 box that isn't part of the same workgroup.

At this point, I really gave up caring about learning Windows 8 and started studying for my Red Hat certification.

Source: A current IT employee with multiple industry certifications and a long history supporting Windows 2000/XP based enterprise networks.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:19 AM

11,284 posts, read 12,808,331 times
To restart you move the mouse pointer thingy to the lower right corner and click the spoked wheel thingy then click restart or off.

Amazingly hard, better call tech support. Yeah it's different, take a second to learn.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:24 AM

4,529 posts, read 4,214,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
Restarting and shutting down is as simple as right clicking the windows icon in the lower left corner of the screen which brings up a list.

I haven't really had to learn any shortcut keys; I use W-8.1 the same as W-7.

Any new operating system will have compatibility issues with select older hardware.

I simply cannot understand why people (not specifically you) are making such a fuss over W-8.1; Overall, I like it better than W-7
Ive had Win 8 for the last year and just upgraded to 8.1, so I am starting to see how to shut it down now without having to hit Windows + I key. But Win 8.1 is much better than the reviews its getting.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:26 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,386,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Win 8.1 is much better than the reviews its getting.
No. It's really not.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:41 AM

4,348 posts, read 9,499,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
The Metro interface is horribly bloated and no real way to customize it.
Huh? I have just 4 items on my Start screen (the 4 apps I use most). Sounds like you need to take some time to learn how to properly use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or