Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 04:09 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
PT, are you saying you have a few loose screws?

Worse than loose, it seems she has missing screws!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 09:56 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,346,845 times
Quote:
PT, are you saying you have a few loose screws?

I knew someone on this board would recognize me & out me.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
As I'd mentioned, I have no screwdriver either... so I'm also up a creek without a paddle. Too funny, you guyz...

And, thanks Midwest... I'll check out the mouse.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:10 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
My cursor is also nuts... sometimes it highlights everything on a page as if I'm attempting to cut & paste, makes blocks as if I've depressed & am holding down the mouse or scrolls up or down quickly & I can't stop it. Sometimes, instead of an arrow for the cursor, I get that hand icon... I've got to click the bar & tap the touchpad so many times, it's painful to try to type.
If the screws weren't the problem, did you try going into control panel and turning off the advance touchpad controls and disable accessibility and easy access short cuts?

Old 02-24-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
I use a logitech M185 wireless mouse and that's always worked much better than my mousepad.
MW... I went to Staples this morning & bought a Logitech M100 USB mouse. It was the cheapest at $11 (on sale) & I wasn't sure if I'd be returning it... the in stock, wireless mice started at $29.

Good news is, it works fine... but, so does the touchpad... suddenly. So, although mouse is connected, I'm using the touchpad, until I can't any longer. The most important issue is I'm able to continue my job search.

At least for today, all is well in PTwist world.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
If the screws weren't the problem, did you try going into control panel and turning off the advance touchpad controls and disable accessibility and easy access short cuts?
Hiya TL... It seems the wonky screws were the issue as my laptop is fine as long as I don't move it. As you've seen from the above post, the touchpad is working fine & so is the external mouse. I'm more accustomed to using the touchpad, so will do so unless & until I can't & must switch over to the mouse.

So far, so good. Thanks for your post.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Ahem, NH Smartypants... I was at the Dollar Store today, as it's next door to Staples where I purchased a USB mouse. Bought a small (precision) screwdriver kit for $1/6 screwdrivers... all small enough to tighten a screw on a laptop. It seems that computer screws need to be purchased online (later I visited Best Buy, Office Depot... no screws)... found a few websites with $5/10 screws... once I figure out which ones I need (seems there are many sizes on 1 li'l laptop), then I'll purchase a few.

I also have an old laptop (Compaq), which isn't optimally functional as I dropped it 3-times & also spilled an entire glass of water into it. Due to that, it's the only laptop I had which lasted 1.5-yrs. Couldn't help it... I was on the road for 1-yr & that's what happens. If the sizes are compatible, I may just pilfer screws from the Compaq to secure the Gateway... then purchase more screws... I'd planned to keep the Compaq as an experiment to see if I can align the keyboard, which has obviously shifted & is out of place due to being dropped from 3+ feet, 3-times in 3-mos. Seems 3-times isn't always the charm.

In any event, leaving my computer stationary is making it usable, at least for now. I'll just need to sit at the desk to use it... fine for the interim... once I'm employed again, I'll get a new one.

Thanks again for your help, NH Smartypants...

Old 02-24-2014, 06:27 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
PT, I wouldn't have even purchased the screws because there are a zillion different sizes.
Use duct tape. Seriously.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
PT, I wouldn't have even purchased the screws because there are a zillion different sizes.
Use duct tape. Seriously.
Good idea, but...

... I may have gone a smidgen too far.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:39 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Ok, I take back what I said about the loose screws.
Can you let me down now?
It's not funny anymore.
PT?
Hello????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers