U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 07:51 PM

2,898 posts, read 5,301,902 times

Advertisements

I need help with a new problem on a Gateway NV53 laptop running Win 7. For 3 days now, my touchpad & the long mouse bar (or whatever it's called) below the touchpad need to be depressed from 5-25 times each time I want to mouse click or gain control over the cursor. Most of the time, the only way I can navigate is by using the tab or arrow keys. My cursor is also nuts... sometimes it highlights everything on a page as if I'm attempting to cut & paste, makes blocks as if I've depressed & am holding down the mouse or scrolls up or down quickly & I can't stop it. Sometimes, instead of an arrow for the cursor, I get that hand icon... I've got to click the bar & tap the touchpad so many times, it's painful to try to type.

After searching for fixes, here's what I did, with no help whatsoever:

1. Restored computer to an earlier date (2-wks ago), before the problem began.
2. Uninstalled the touchpad driver, then shut down & booted up again. Did the same with keyboard driver.
3. Before #1, 2 I went into Control Panel > Mouse to see if any options have changed or are unchecked when they should be checked. On the Device Settings tab, I reset everything to Default & apparently I had used Default settings as nothing changed. (The device status is that it is working properly).

Could this be a physical problem? A few weeks ago, my space bar was stuck. In trying to clean around it with a toothpick with a bit of cotton around the tip, I scraped that little clear rubber upside cup thing out of place, that's underneath & in the middle of each key. I just reached underneath with a toothpick & moved it back & it was fine. Is there something I may have moved out of place that's causing this? It doesn't look like that space bar long button below the keypad can be removed & I didn't attempt to clean it.

Any ideas? It took me 20+ min to type this, with all the unintentional scrolling & highlighting & using arrows to maneuver around. Thank you very much!

Last edited by PatanjaliTwist; 02-21-2014 at 08:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 10:50 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,063,717 times
All you needed to do was restore to earlier time when working to check if a hardware problem. No uninstall needed unless direcedt to during restore.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
All you needed to do was restore to earlier time when working to check if a hardware problem. No uninstall needed unless direcedt to during restore.
As I mentioned in the OP, I did a restore to 2-wks before the problem started. There was no difference. Would another restore make a difference? How?

Old 02-22-2014, 06:38 AM

10,752 posts, read 17,997,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
OP reading fail

For the OP, with all you've done it sounds like a hardware issue, although no way to say 100%. About the only way to be sure is a fresh Windows/driver install or replacing the hardware. Has the tactile feel of the buttons changed at all? With the sticky space bar it sounds like some spillage may have occured which could be affecting it.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
For the OP, with all you've done it sounds like a hardware issue, although no way to say 100%. About the only way to be sure is a fresh Windows/driver install or replacing the hardware. Has the tactile feel of the buttons changed at all? With the sticky space bar it sounds like some spillage may have occured which could be affecting it.
Thanks for replying, Dave. I did a 2nd restore to Jan 29 & now it's worse. It also takes far longer to boot up. I'm typing fine now, but any second, the keys & pointer may go bonkers & the touchpad rendered useless. Actually, the touchpad is now useless, no matter how many times I tap it or in which part I tap it.

Nothing spilled on the keyboard. The spacebar sticking was because I cleaned in-between the keys with Q-Tips & toothpicks & displaced that little rubber thing (see original post)... like Humpty Dumpty I just put it back together again. It was quite dusty & apparently I shed like a cat. But, it's mainly the touchpad that's the issue... it doesn't work at all when I tap on it, anywhere... I've restored defaults. I can now only move around the screen (on any page... webpage, Word, desktop) using the arrows or tab key.

I could re-install all the drivers, but I already did for the keyboard & mouse. Would doing more make a difference?

I'm in the middle of job searching... I need my computer. Anything else I can try before wrenching out the harddrive & giving the bones to the monster children who race around my courtyard so they can jump on it & beat it with sharp sticks?

Old 02-22-2014, 12:10 PM

10,752 posts, read 17,997,204 times
I doubt reloading all other drivers will help, about the only thing I could suggest as a temporary fix for the job hunt would be a USB mouse.

I've seen some pretty crappy touchpad button designs in my time, pressing too hard can actually crush the micro switches underneath the touchpad buttons on some laptops.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I doubt reloading all other drivers will help, about the only thing I could suggest as a temporary fix for the job hunt would be a USB mouse.

I've seen some pretty crappy touchpad button designs in my time, pressing too hard can actually crush the micro switches underneath the touchpad buttons on some laptops.
Okay, thanks Dave. I did read about testing functionality with an external mouse... I'll head out to Best Buy in awhile... hopefully that will work. I've a light touch, so if the switches are crushed, it would be from usage rather than a footballer's approach to typing. And, with the touchpad itself, it's very sensitive, so only a delicate swipe has ever been necessary. But, my computers have always had a lot of daily use & this one is 4-yrs old now. Never had one last beyond that. Bummer... wasn't looking to replace my computer before I had a job, but so it goes. In the meantime, perhaps I should only use it for Word & resumes to prevent it from dying before I buy another.

If you can think of anything else, please let me know. Thank you again!

Old 02-23-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:

I think I may have accidentally discovered the problem & it's physical. Since I move my laptop around constantly (& it's 4-yrs old so has taken a beating), screws loosen & fall out periodically. I generally plonk them into a cup & although I have them all, somewhere, I recently moved so have no idea where they could be. I'd say I've picked up 6 in the past year alone... never put them back into the laptop, as I don't have a screwdriver that small. Since it still worked just fine, I never worried about it. But, the front left side of my laptop is very loose & can easily be pried apart, therefore not allowing proper connections to meet on the touchpad & button underneath it.

After playing around with it a bit yesterday, it seems to be fixed (fingers crossed), but it will be temporary... I'm not moving it around today & won't 'til I can either find the screws (unlikely) or 'til I make it to OfficeMax later to buy some, a small screwdriver & an external mouse (just in case I'm wrong).

In any event, it's usable for now & now's the time to begin shopping for a laptop sale.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:12 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,688,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
I think I may have accidentally discovered the problem & it's physical. Since I move my laptop around constantly (& it's 4-yrs old so has taken a beating), screws loosen & fall out periodically. I generally plonk them into a cup & although I have them all, somewhere, I recently moved so have no idea where they could be. I'd say I've picked up 6 in the past year alone... never put them back into the laptop, as I don't have a screwdriver that small. Since it still worked just fine, I never worried about it. But, the front left side of my laptop is very loose & can easily be pried apart, therefore not allowing proper connections to meet on the touchpad & button underneath it.

After playing around with it a bit yesterday, it seems to be fixed (fingers crossed), but it will be temporary... I'm not moving it around today & won't 'til I can either find the screws (unlikely) or 'til I make it to OfficeMax later to buy some, a small screwdriver & an external mouse (just in case I'm wrong).

In any event, it's usable for now & now's the time to begin shopping for a laptop sale.

I use a logitech M185 wireless mouse and that's always worked much better than my mousepad.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:43 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,764,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post

PT, are you saying you have a few loose screws?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers