U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 09:49 AM

12,434 posts, read 10,904,621 times

Advertisements

Worth is very subjective so you results may vary. It is worth it to me since I can boot in just seconds compared to a minute or more of a spinning drive. The price really has come down recently.

Keep in mind if you buy SSD installed in your PC/Laptop you will pay much more for it than you would if you purchased one and installed it yourself. It is many many times cheaper. The markup on SSDs is pretty huge. Try and find someone who is computer savy and have them add a SSD for you. It will save you some serious dough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 11:35 AM

843 posts, read 1,876,746 times
As many others have mentioned, cost/benefit is highly subject to what you need. I don't find boot or load time of applications to be a big deal myself.

For example, my work system which acts primarily as a host for virtual machines is running 4 240GB SSD drives in RAID0 on a LSI megaraid card for my main virtual machines. This array is screaming fast, very nearly 4x as fast as a single Sata III SSD. My virtual machines boot in seconds. I also have a RAID5 array of 1TB drives where I backup the SSD VM's and store large data. My OS boots from a single physical HD, I don't care that it takes more time to boot.

My personal desktops are running physical HD's, I do a lot of work with huge media and database files and SSD's just do not have the capacity necessary. I prefer to load up on RAM, deal with slower boot times (who reboots all that often anyway) and rely on programs having plenty of RAM to prevent HD swapping.

There are a lot of tradeoffs, I think RAM is the best cost/benefit unless you really need faster booting.. in which case you might as well spend the money for good hardware RAID card and really reap the benefits. Often SSD drives are capable of more speed than your motherboard controller is in particular if you have other drives on it..

And NEVER EVER use the RAID built into your motherboard or cheap RAID cards, I keep trying and every time the performance is terrible.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:33 PM

16,986 posts, read 17,152,499 times
I think there was a LOT of problems when SSD's first came out. Much of the problem was with the firmware that had to control access to all of those memory locations. From what I have read, SSD's are pretty reliable now...and the price is getting competitive with regular HDD's.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:59 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,564,316 times
yes there worth it I like having my pc all loaded up in 3 seconds instead of 10 minutes and and having all of my programs open up in a second as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or