Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 06:07 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,935 times

Advertisements

We're planning on subscribing to Netflix. I'm wondering what the best option would be for quality streaming between a blue ray player and roku? We're not gamers so things like wii or xbox are out of the question. We do watch DVD's but aren't concerned about blue ray. Of course that could change if blue ray turns out to be the way to go? Costco has roku 3 for $95, they also have a sanyo blue ray for $55. I've seen roku 1 on Amazon for $50. My question is; is roku the best at streaming because that's basically all it does or are the differences in streaming between blue ray and roku that much different? If roku is the best of the two options is there a huge difference between one and three?

Thanks, and advise and feedback is very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 06:56 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Check your blue ray player, many have the ability to stream Hulu and NetFlix.

Most new TVs also have the ability to stream programming.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:09 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
The Roku has far more uses IMHO than a BR player. You can install additional channels and get far more content. I can stream movies from my Synology NAS, watch Weather Nation live (it's what the weather channel used to be), plus boatloads of other stuff. I don't even have a DVD/BR player, I've ripped all my disks to MP4 and store them on the NAS for streaming via the Roku.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:22 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
The Roku has far more uses IMHO than a BR player. You can install additional channels and get far more content. I can stream movies from my Synology NAS, watch Weather Nation live (it's what the weather channel used to be), plus boatloads of other stuff. I don't even have a DVD/BR player, I've ripped all my disks to MP4 and store them on the NAS for streaming via the Roku.
I'm with Dave on this one.

We have 3 Roku's, and they are pretty much the best at what they do. The selection of channels blows away anything else out there, and it continues to grow. The BR player will have whatever it has when you buy it, and it won't likely get anything more.

Like Dave we stream all of our ripped content from our HTPC to the various Roku.

If you can spend the extra, the Roku 3 is well worth it (We have an XS, XD, and a 3).

Old 02-26-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Check your blue ray player, many have the ability to stream Hulu and NetFlix.

Most new TVs also have the ability to stream programming.
Thanks, very much appreciated. Our TV really isn't that old and (of course) we can't find the manual anywhere. I did check the menu and sub menu and there was no indication that our TV has streaming capabilities.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Thanks NHDave. Sorry, but I have to spread some more rep around before I can rep you again. You must have been giving me a lot of advise that I repped you too much...LOL..

Looks like Roku is the way to go!

Old 02-26-2014, 07:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I have both and frankly at price a blue ray is much better buy than Roku. Rokus IMO are way over price in comparison frankly.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I'm with Dave on this one.

We have 3 Roku's, and they are pretty much the best at what they do. The selection of channels blows away anything else out there, and it continues to grow. The BR player will have whatever it has when you buy it, and it won't likely get anything more.

Like Dave we stream all of our ripped content from our HTPC to the various Roku.

If you can spend the extra, the Roku 3 is well worth it (We have an XS, XD, and a 3).
Thanks, you already answered my next question in what I bolded above. I tried researching but their is nothing like city data experience and feedback. I'm going to see if it's even worth it to order a Roku 3 on line as compared to just taking a run up to Costco. Their price for a Roku 3 is $95 plus tax, not bad for all the capabilities!!!

Old 02-26-2014, 08:45 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Roku and a subscription to Acorn tv and Nowherecast has made a big difference for us. Blue ray doesn't interest me.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Do not sign up for Acorn tho thru Utube because Utube controls the signal and has very poor customer service. Netflix right now is the standard really tho still in streaming. Acorn is cheaper but also more limited as to what they buy rights to.I use it moslyt for 70-90's English TV but now am looking to let it expire as seen most of the ones I like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers