U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 10:47 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,561,461 times

Advertisements

Well, after a frustrating afternoon, I've finally got my SSD installed. I did have to clone, but I had to reinstall with the recovery partition because there was some immovable file that was preventing me from shrinking the partition past 330gb.

I shrunk it down enough, used EaseUS Todo or something like that, worked fine.

The media in that link didn't work, so don't bother. I can't edit it out, but maybe a mod can for me please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 03:06 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,563,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgriff2 View Post
Contact HP for a replacement set of media (Recovery Disks).

There's no reason they should not work on a new HDD/SSD -

OEM + Microsoft Windows Replacement Media (OS DVDs) - Sysnative Forums
he needs to get a usb copy of windows or just plain out right buy another copy of windows. I knew mine was reinstalling from the last known partition in my ssd drive when I installed it I got an error msg saying I needed 931 gigs of space to do the install. now I know that windows 8 is not a terabyte large OS LOL when it's like 8 gigs large I belive. I called dell and they sent me the usb version wich is different from the recovery discs

Old 03-02-2014, 06:12 PM

Call HP and see if you get the same courtesy

Edit: Needs more

Old 03-02-2014, 07:58 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,063,717 times
Sounds like they explained the copy right terms pretty well to me. Its been that way for ages which is why some prefer to build or later install a Microsoft license version bought on market. Use to be copyright was not followed by many ;so we live with this. You can thank them.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:33 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,760,637 times
If your laptop came with Win8, it will most likely have the OEM key in the BIOS. If you get a copy of the standard Win8 DVD or ISO, not the HP version, you should be able to do a clean install on the SSD. The installer should pick up the OEM key straight from the BIOS and activate your copy without even asking. That's what I did with my Toshiba laptop that came loaded with crapware. I ended up replacing the HDD for a faster one and installed from MS media. It went up without a glitch.

Now, if your laptop came with Win 8.0, you would have to use an 8.0 ISO, then upgrade to 8.1. If you try to install 8.1 directly, the installer won't accept your 8.0 OEM key.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:22 PM

1,084 posts, read 829,621 times
This is why I build my own computers, and do not buy OEM licenses. The only problem I ever encountered was when I changed hard drives and motherboard too soon for Office 2003. I did not call Microsoft; I just waited another month and tried again. This time I was successful in activating it. In the meantime, I used Office XP.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
If your laptop came with Win8, it will most likely have the OEM key in the BIOS. If you get a copy of the standard Win8 DVD or ISO, not the HP version, you should be able to do a clean install on the SSD. The installer should pick up the OEM key straight from the BIOS and activate your copy without even asking. That's what I did with my Toshiba laptop that came loaded with crapware. I ended up replacing the HDD for a faster one and installed from MS media. It went up without a glitch.

Now, if your laptop came with Win 8.0, you would have to use an 8.0 ISO, then upgrade to 8.1. If you try to install 8.1 directly, the installer won't accept your 8.0 OEM key.
I have a physical W8 disc, didn't work with my key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
This is why I build my own computers, and do not buy OEM licenses. The only problem I ever encountered was when I changed hard drives and motherboard too soon for Office 2003. I did not call Microsoft; I just waited another month and tried again. This time I was successful in activating it. In the meantime, I used Office XP.
I'm not big into building my own laptops.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:44 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,839,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Neither one of those apply, you can't do a Windows upgrade on an empty hard drive.
Actually, what I have is a 64-bit Windows 7 Pro that I installed on a blank drive then did the registry hack.

Clean Install and Activate Windows 7 with MediaBootInstall Registry Hack
  1. After booting up, ensure that no Windows Updates pending task which requires a system reboot to finish installing.
Tip: Normally, an orange-colored shield icon will be displayed next to Shutdown button in the Start Menu Power Button or at notification tray area if a restart is required.
If reboot is required, restart the computer
to allow any pending updates is installed.
  1. Run Registry Editor (RegEdit).
  2. Navigate to the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Setup\OOBE
  1. In the right pane, change the value data for MediaBootInstall from 1 to 0.

Alternatively, just download and execute MediaBootInstall.reg
to merge the value into registry.
  1. Open an elevated command prompt as administrator.
  2. Run the command below to reset Windows 7 activation status:
slmgr -rearm

1. Reboot the computer.
  2. Run the Activate Windows utility (accessible from bottom section of Control Panel -> System and Security -> System, or type Activate Windows into Start Search), type in the upgrade product key and activate Windows.

PS. Technically, if you already own a previous copy of Windows, then instead of installing XP or Vista then upgrading it to Windows 7, I choose to do a fresh install.
The whole idea behind the "upgrade" is to ensure you already own a copy (license) of an approved previous version of Windows.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:20 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,760,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
PS. Technically, if you already own a previous copy of Windows, then instead of installing XP or Vista then upgrading it to Windows 7, I choose to do a fresh install.
The whole idea behind the "upgrade" is to ensure you already own a copy (license) of an approved previous version of Windows.
MS should allow clean installs using upgrade media by requesting both, the Win 7 key and the XP/Vista key. But then, that would be too easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers