U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 09:07 PM

3,898 posts, read 9,658,981 times

Advertisements

I would like to try out a lot of mods, but certainly want to take advantage of graphic enhancing (ENB?) and immersion mods.

Can I go TOO big on the video card and create a bottleneck with the processor? From reading about mods, it looks like I want at least a 2gb card to use them effectively. The more I think it over, I very well may build something from scratch in the near future, but get a really nice card now for the current machine, and then use it later in the new build.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 10:49 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,839,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
I would like to try out a lot of mods, but certainly want to take advantage of graphic enhancing (ENB?) and immersion mods.

Can I go TOO big on the video card and create a bottleneck with the processor? From reading about mods, it looks like I want at least a 2gb card to use them effectively. The more I think it over, I very well may build something from scratch in the near future, but get a really nice card now for the current machine, and then use it later in the new build.
I don't upgrade my video cards, I just build a new PC because I typically by a top tier card, not a top dog but one that is like couple of notches down that costs about $175 to $225 (on sale). After about 3-4 years, build a new PC. I used to do it like once ever 18 months but I don't game as much any more and I am like couple of years behind with games anyhow.

Memory size alone won't mean squat! You have to realize just like a CPU (Processor) core speed, the graphics processing unit (GPU) also has a core speed. Then much like the system memory (RAM, a graphics card also has its own memory on the card. So, the type of memory used, its clock speed is just as important as the memory size, and in some cases even more important.

So, having a 2GB video card doesn't mean it is a fast or fast enough to play a certain game. Memory size is important but GPU core speed and memory type/clock speed, can be and generally, are more important specs.

I have been always been a Nvidia customer but about a year ago, I made the switch to AMD/ATI Radeon HD series and have been very happy. I, first got the Radeon HD 6870 and shortly afterwards got the 7870. Twice the memory and slightly faster memory speed. Have I really noticed anything playing the same few games? No, not really but from the previous Nvidia GT8800 to the 6870, the difference was night and day.

If you can spot a good sale, you can get a very solid card for around $200, may be even less.

Good luck!

Old 03-13-2014, 10:58 AM

I ended up going with an EVGA GTX 760 and a 600w PSU (EVGA Bronze). I have the game installed, about 30 mods installed, and no lag or stutter noted yet, but really haven't done much in the game either so we will see. I did visit Whiterun though to see how that mod looks, wow what a change!

I have tried to steer clear of the most demanding mods, but am using Real Water, Skyrim HD 2k, SMIM, Flora Overhaul, Beautiful Whiterun, and a bunch of other random stuff. If anyone has mod suggestions, lay it on me. Thanks again for all your help!

Old 03-13-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I ended up going with an EVGA GTX 760 and a 600w PSU (EVGA Bronze). I have the game installed, about 30 mods installed, and no lag or stutter noted yet, but really haven't done much in the game either so we will see. I did visit Whiterun though to see how that mod looks, wow what a change!

I have tried to steer clear of the most demanding mods, but am using Real Water, Skyrim HD 2k, SMIM, Flora Overhaul, Beautiful Whiterun, and a bunch of other random stuff. If anyone has mod suggestions, lay it on me. Thanks again for all your help!
Hmmm....this are all free and probably unofficial mods created by individuals, correct?
I have not yet tried any but I will since I am curious. Which ones do you recommend?

I have been checking out some of them on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...pc%20mods&sm=3

Old 03-13-2014, 10:38 PM

Yes, they are individuals or teams that do this for fun, and it really makes it like a new game. There are new lands, new quests, new NPC's, it is just amazing the skill these people have!

I have only installed the mods listed in the above post, and spent maybe an hour or so playing. It is pretty time consuming learning about load order, what mods work well with each other, and setting everything up, but so far the results are fantastic. I focused on the graphic enhancements first, but also added some mods for having more, and more powerful followers, a Dragonborn house with lots of supplies so I can do as little or as much of the "grind" as I want to do.
I have about 800 hours in on the PS3 version, so don't really want to go through all of the grind again, just want to enjoy the mods and the game play. I am only at the "tip of the iceberg" though lol.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, they are individuals or teams that do this for fun, and it really makes it like a new game. There are new lands, new quests, new NPC's, it is just amazing the skill these people have!
Yep, I remember attempting to me a map for RavenShield (Rainbow6) back in the day and after several hours, I said "F this!". So darn time consuming even if you know what the hell you are doing. Back then I was still active and had a social life though.

Quote:
I have only installed the mods listed in the above post, and spent maybe an hour or so playing. It is pretty time consuming learning about load order, what mods work well with each other, and setting everything up, but so far the results are fantastic. I focused on the graphic enhancements first, but also added some mods for having more, and more powerful followers, a Dragonborn house with lots of supplies so I can do as little or as much of the "grind" as I want to do.
Yeah, I spent so much time last night that I couldn't even play the game. I thought Steam's "workshop" BS would make is easier but no dice so I will continue hating Steam.

Quote:
I have about 800 hours in on the PS3 version, so don't really want to go through all of the grind again, just want to enjoy the mods and the game play. I am only at the "tip of the iceberg" though lol.
[/quote]I still don't know how many hours I have invested, and still don't want to find out either!
Starting the game will be a good thing if you have the perfect set of mods and want to play the game with a different character. After you pass level 50, the opponents are so easy to kill, it is not even funny.
Heck at level 6x, I challenged Karstaag and he instantly made me his b.tch 4 times in a row. Then went back at level 100 and showed him whose his daddy was!

I think this is a must-have mod :

Skyrim- Animated fart shout mod - YouTube

Old 03-14-2014, 04:05 PM

3,316 posts, read 4,872,833 times
I modded the heck out of Oblivion back in the day, but Skyrim looked so good on Ultra that I didn't feel the need to (and least where texture, water, character and lighting mods are concerned). I can easily run it on Ultra @ 1920x1200 with a Phenom II @ 3.6 Ghz and an HD 7850 2GB.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post

Yeah, I spent so much time last night that I couldn't even play the game. I thought Steam's "workshop" BS would make is easier but no dice so I will continue hating Steam.

I have only used the Nexus Mod Manager and mods. I am up to about 60 of them lol. I haven't actually tried to play the game, just have a test character to with so I can check locations, performance, and effect. As beautiful as this looks with the mods. I am content just walking around and enjoying the scenery lol.
I still don't know how many hours I have invested, and still don't want to find out either!
Starting the game will be a good thing if you have the perfect set of mods and want to play the game with a different character. After you pass level 50, the opponents are so easy to kill, it is not even funny.
Heck at level 6x, I challenged Karstaag and he instantly made me his b.tch 4 times in a row. Then went back at level 100 and showed him whose his daddy was!

I have about 800 hours in the PS3 version, and agree on becoming overpowered. There is a mod that will scale back your abilities at higher levels, or make enemies considerably stronger so it remains balanced. I plan on just making my smithing/enchanting/alchemy set to 100 with skill tree maxed out so I can avoid the grind, stock up on gold and have a comfortable carry weight (added a mod that will increase weight by 10x, 25x, or 100x...the 10x also reduces falling damage so I can do some mountain jumping).

I think this is a must-have mod :

Skyrim- Animated fart shout mod - YouTube[/quote]

Ha! Love it!

Old 03-17-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I have about 800 hours in the PS3 version, and agree on becoming overpowered. There is a mod that will scale back your abilities at higher levels, or make enemies considerably stronger so it remains balanced. I plan on just making my smithing/enchanting/alchemy set to 100 with skill tree maxed out so I can avoid the grind, stock up on gold and have a comfortable carry weight (added a mod that will increase weight by 10x, 25x, or 100x...the 10x also reduces falling damage so I can do some mountain jumping).
I actually use "summon Avrak" as he can even fly at certain edges (probably a bug) and jump much higher than I can. Also if I fall, poor Avrak takes the heat and most of the time I survive the nasty fall unscratched.

I did install the difficulty scaling mod. When I played the "Old Mansion" with that mod, fighting the daugr was way harder, when there are like 3-4 of them, I got owned a few times. I think it is way more fun to know that you can die and do die if you don't try hard enough.

Menu sorting mod sort of confusing me, perhaps because I am too used to the default sorting.

Too many mods (50+) is indeed bad news and cause crashes at launch even.

Fart mod is hella fun but I wouldn't want to run around wearing just the medieval undies (unarmored) just to enjoy it more.
Besides, then my character would be dressed just like me!

Old 03-17-2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I actually use "summon Avrak" as he can even fly at certain edges (probably a bug) and jump much higher than I can. Also if I fall, poor Avrak takes the heat and most of the time I survive the nasty fall unscratched.

I did install the difficulty scaling mod. When I played the "Old Mansion" with that mod, fighting the daugr was way harder, when there are like 3-4 of them, I got owned a few times. I think it is way more fun to know that you can die and do die if you don't try hard enough.

Menu sorting mod sort of confusing me, perhaps because I am too used to the default sorting.

Too many mods (50+) is indeed bad news and cause crashes at launch even.

Fart mod is hella fun but I wouldn't want to run around wearing just the medieval undies (unarmored) just to enjoy it more.
Besides, then my character would be dressed just like me!
Hmm I must have missed Avrak when doing DG. Sounds quite useful! I use BOSS to sort the load order, although I hear it is not perfect, it is certainly better than me guessing lol.

When I think back to the best times I had playing this game, it was when the combat was nearly impossible and the risk of dying (deep in some ruin without a recent save no less) lifts the level of excitement.

One of the first really tough quests I did the first time I played was Nchuand-Zel in Markarth. I was a low level character, no followers, about 3 lock picks, and was just getting crushed! I ended up just leaving the dungeon, recruiting a follower, getting more lock picks (all 3 broke about halfway through the ruin lol), and tackled it. I felt defeated turning around and leaving, but loved not having the game "hand it" to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers